Home

Please help, franchise dilemma, cap space/contracts

This is a discussion on Please help, franchise dilemma, cap space/contracts within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Please help, franchise dilemma, cap space/contracts

So, I’m in year 3 or 4 of my fantasy draft franchise. I love it so far. It’s been fantastic and I’ve been having a lot of fun. We won 1 Super Bowl with a qb I drafted, and ended up winning the qb battle with dak Prescott. We lost to mahomes team in the conference championship due to heavy weather inhibiting our play, and uncharacteristic turnovers.

So, we get going this season out of the gate, and the team feels amazing, but, all 4 of my captains, (3 of which are X factors) are looking for boats and boats of money. My QB, who has develop into an amazing 95 overall X factor at 24 is seeking almost 240 million over 7 years. Christian mcaffery, Chris Jones, and others are looking to be paid as wel, and honestly, I’m not sure what to do.

A projected 1st round pick qb was available in round 3, and he ended up being a “star” with 75 overall. I took him as a back up cause I knew big contracts were coming. But at this point I’m not sure if I should just unload Based on seniority, and keep the younger guys, or if I’m paying way too much for this qb, and crippling my franchise if I keep him.

I’m torn because he could lead this team to several Super Bowls, but keeping him would mean the rest of the team will likely take a nose dive over the next few years, and I may be letting some major talents walk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Please help, franchise dilemma, cap space/contracts

If they are worth it, always resign FAs under 26 who are over 70OVR. So if he is that good, I say go for it. Let go off anyone over 27 and who is under 80. Also resigning people at the off-season - Resign screen you can get for cheaper but you have to be willing to bid.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

That's awesome man! Sounds like a fun league.

I am in a similar spot. I've got Lamar Jackson who is a high 90's X Factor and he is in a contract year. I also drafted a rookie QB because his speed was incredible and i knew this contract year was coming up. I'm testing out the rookie for the first few games of the year. If I can get him to play his way into a breakout scenario then i may be able to get him to SS this season and possibly even X Factor if he has a huge year with ROY and OPOY.

I'd suggest giving the young QB some playing time and see if his strengths fit how you play. If you like him, he will develop quickly and you'll save a TON of cap room each year.

My rookie has to show me that he can be dynamic like Lamar before I'm willing to choose him, but the cap dynamic is a big part of it.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite76
If they are worth it, always resign FAs under 26 who are over 70OVR. So if he is that good, I say go for it. Let go off anyone over 27 and who is under 80. Also resigning people at the off-season - Resign screen you can get for cheaper but you have to be willing to bid.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
All 4 captains are 88 or higher, only one is kind of old, he’s 29 DT
Old 11-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
That's awesome man! Sounds like a fun league.

I am in a similar spot. I've got Lamar Jackson who is a high 90's X Factor and he is in a contract year. I also drafted a rookie QB because his speed was incredible and i knew this contract year was coming up. I'm testing out the rookie for the first few games of the year. If I can get him to play his way into a breakout scenario then i may be able to get him to SS this season and possibly even X Factor if he has a huge year with ROY and OPOY.

I'd suggest giving the young QB some playing time and see if his strengths fit how you play. If you like him, he will develop quickly and you'll save a TON of cap room each year.

My rookie has to show me that he can be dynamic like Lamar before I'm willing to choose him, but the cap dynamic is a big part of it.
Yeah, the new QB is fast, but his accuracy is not like my current QB who is a pocket passer and has an insane arm. He can throw balls into tight spaces you don’t normally see, and I can get away with a lot. He almost always leads perfectly, and he can sling that thing almost anywhere.

The new Qb is insanely fast but lacks accuracy. It would completely change the dynamic of the offense, and we would likely have to swap to a new scheme to accommodate him, but at the end of the day I did the same thing for my current QB and it got us a super bowl and two division championships, so maybe it’s worth it? I may end up seeing what I can fetch for him. If I can get a first round pick, and a prospect I might take it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
MVP

You can make hay with trash at HB if you know what you are doing. McCaffery is expendable. I never keep high end RBs on my franchise teams. They really don't provide value relative to their cap hits. RB by committee is a fine option since you may have a hard time finding a replacement for his skill set.

An interior DL just isn't going to have that big an impact. Jones is expendable especially given his age.

Unless you cheat the game you probably aren't going to get another 95 OVR QB any time soon.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

I love the new realistic contracts, it really makes you think about the future before re-signing someone. My only problem with it is with these more realistic contract solutions we also need realistic solutions to manage the salary cap like 5th year options and the option to restructure some deals.

In my online 32 user franchise I took the Eagles and their cap situation is really difficult to manage. In the first season I traded away LT Jason Peters, WR Alshon Jeffery, and SS Malcolm Jenkins. In the first offseason I traded away RG Brandon Brooks, and cut MLB Nigel Bradham. The only players that I re-signed that were due for a contract were WR Nelson Agholor, and CB Ronald Darby. I lost my entire starting LB unit and my top 4 safeties on the roster due to cap constraints and still entered the offseason with 35 players on roster and only $5 million in cap space to fill out the rest of my roster. In most of the trades I made I asked for future picks because our cap situation wouldn’t let us take on to much more of a rookie reserve. With my limited cap space and the couple of draft picks I accumulated I was able to get my roster to 49 players for the start of season 2, now I’m just saying a prayer to the Madden gods that my team can stay relatively healthy.

I definitely feel your pain with managing the cap.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah1212
My QB, who has develop into an amazing 95 overall X factor at 24 is seeking almost 240 million over 7 years.
Did I read this correctly??? $240M!?!?!?!?!?!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »