Home

Understanding The Speed Rating?

This is a discussion on Understanding The Speed Rating? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 13
Understanding The Speed Rating?

Ok i have discussed this a few times but i was just going through some ratings to compare to my CAP for Jermaine Gresham and came across a huge mistake on EA's part. I used Brandon Pettigrew (Lions) and Cornelius Ingram (Eagles) to come up with a rookie borderline for Gresham. I went to the combine Top Performers and Pettigrew ran a 4.88 and received a 72 speed while Ingram ran a 4.68 and received a 84 speed rating. Just Above him was a TE that caught my attention. James Casey (Texans) ran a 4.66 and to my surprise when i went to check his Speed Rating and it was a 74. So he ran .02 faster than Ingram but received a speed rating 10 points slower than Ingram and even tho he ran .22 faster than Pettigrew his speed is only 2 points faster..

Brandon Pettigrew - 4.88 40 - EA Rating 72 Speed
Cornelius Ingram - 4.68 40 - EA Rating 84 Speed
James Casey - 4.66 40 - EA Rating 74 Speed

Could someone help me understand this thing we call EA's Rating System? I know its not all about the 40 yard dash but the difference in Speed for Casey and Ingram are a joke.

Last edited by AnthonyPhillips; 09-30-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Understanding The Speed Rating?

What I'd like to know is the diff. b/w speed and acceleration.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

I say Casey should be raised but Ingram shouldn't be touched. You have to remember at the time of the combine Ingram was just coming off a season ending knee injury. The word was before the injury he was around a 4.5 guy. He was orginally a QB and WR before becoming a TE.

You can find cases of wird looking speed ratings if you just go by 40 times. EA says the base it off multiple things including a players 40 time. I could give you alot of cases that would look wierd just by looking at 40 times.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Banned

Stupendamatic's Arena

OVR: 1

It's about their speed on the field with pads on, could you tell the difference between a 4.6 and 4.8 with just your eyes? Nobody can, that's how small the difference is and that's why 40 times are so overrated and should not be used to judge speed ratings. Game film is the only tool that should be used when judging a player's speed. Too many people get caught up in the numbers.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupendamatic
It's about their speed on the field with pads on, could you tell the difference between a 4.6 and 4.8 with just your eyes? Nobody can, that's how small the difference is and that's why 40 times are so overrated and should not be used to judge speed ratings. Game film is the only tool that should be used when judging a player's speed. Too many people get caught up in the numbers.
Then there is something wrong with your eyes. There is a HUGE difference between a 4.3 guy and a 4.5 guy and you can easily see the difference with your eyes. If you go look at Heyward-Bey's 40 from the combine and then watch Aaron Kelly's 40 there is a major difference. Or better yet watch Pat White's then watch Matt Stafford and tell me you can't see a difference. If you can see that then there is something wrong with your eyes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

It's more about the position they play in the NFL.......

That's how I always look at it from a ratings perspective.. so if I make T.Gooden from The Ravens a 92 speed it's because he's that fast a MLB.. not cause I want to put him at CB.... feel me?

40 times help but some players play faster than there 40 times or slower than there 40 times.... D.Landry plays faster than his 40 times now.. but when he first got drafted he was perceived as a (slow safety who hits like a ton of bricks) but how many 5th round picks have actually won the the starting job and kept it?

He worked hard and increased his speed without losing Power.. His brother on the other hand his the no doubt faster of the two Landry brothers.. L. Landry don't hit like D Landry though.. (look out for B. Jacobs Laron..LOL)

Suggs, Freeney, etc. are fast coming off the edge's but I don't want them in coverage compared to having them pass rush....
Old 10-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
MVP

cdk10's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Mc Dre
It's more about the position they play in the NFL.......

That's how I always look at it from a ratings perspective.. so if I make T.Gooden from The Ravens a 92 speed it's because he's that fast a MLB.. not cause I want to put him at CB.... feel me?

40 times help but some players play faster than there 40 times or slower than there 40 times.... D.Landry plays faster than his 40 times now.. but when he first got drafted he was perceived as a (slow safety who hits like a ton of bricks) but how many 5th round picks have actually won the the starting job and kept it?

He worked hard and increased his speed without losing Power.. His brother on the other hand his the no doubt faster of the two Landry brothers.. L. Landry don't hit like D Landry though.. (look out for B. Jacobs Laron..LOL)

Suggs, Freeney, etc. are fast coming off the edge's but I don't want them in coverage compared to having them pass rush....
If that's the case, then you're looking for more ACC than SPD. Edge rushers are usually more quick than fast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters »