Home

Eagle fans, what should DeSean Jackson's rating be?

This is a discussion on Eagle fans, what should DeSean Jackson's rating be? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 36
Eagle fans, what should DeSean Jackson's rating be?

in this next update.

As the first person to EVER be selected to the Pro Bowl as a KR (well, PR) AND as WR...That deserves some serious boosts.

My guess is he should be around a 92-93, although I'd love to see him be higher...I'm not near a 360 right now so I can't see his attributes, but what do you all think?

PS No Cowboy fans in here drooling about Miles Austin.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Eagle fans, what should DeSean Jackson's rating be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey225
PS No Cowboy fans in here drooling about Miles Austin.
Well that's just ignorant, considering Austin has outperformed Jackson in pretty much every category as a 2nd WR who didn't start the first 5 games... Jackson should not be higher overall than Austin.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
MVP

The Philadelphia West Coast Offense relies on spreading the ball around.

When you have Jackson, Maclin, Celek, Weaver, Westbrook, McCoy, even Vick, not to mention our slot WR Avant....of course Austin is going to have more yards. The Cowboys have maybe 3-4 targets to throw to. Especially with Marion Barber being a shell of himself this year, it's understandable they'd pass more.
Now, if you want to bring up how Jackson is 1 50+ yard TD away from setting a new NFL record, fine.

Or...you can bring up how Austin has 74 rec, 1230 yd, and 11 tds...

Let's compare DeSean.

MA: 74/1230/11
DJ: 60/1120/9

Now, Miles hasn't missed a game to my knowledge this year. DeSean did. Starting is irrelevant. So, Miles Austin has got the ball 14 more times, but only has 110 more yards and 2 more TDs? DeSean had 1000 on 50-53 catches.

Stats. You want to play them, I'll play back. STATISTICALLY DeSean Jackson if he had the same amount of catches as Miles, he'd be way ahead of him.

EDIT: I forgot one last thing, now even though it is mainly a popularity contest...DeSean Jackson is also a STARTING WR for the Pro Bowl, whereas Austin is 3rd...so majority of NFL players and coaches (you know, the ones whose votes count the most) disagree that Miles Austin is better than DeSean Jackson.

Last edited by RedZoneD25; 01-01-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

davey225,

You state a reason for Jackson's lesser number on Austin is due to a SINGLE game Jackson missed. Yet prior to Austin starts in Week 5 he had a Grand Total of 5 catches for 81 yards and 1 TD. So that more than offsets a single missed game by Jackson.

But for fun, let's look at what both players have done since Week 5 when BOTH players were starters:

Miles Austin = 69 catches for 1,149 yards and 10 TDs
DeSean Jackson = 48 catches for 861 yards and 7 TDs.

You also state if Jackson had as many catches as Miles, he would have better numbers. Well let's see what Austin has done as a starter and project them as if he started the whole year:

Average per Game as a Starter = 6.27 catches, 104.45 yards, and 0.90 TDs
Projected over 16 Games = 100 catches, 1,671 yards, 14 TDs

Then you claim that the Eagles offense is about spreading it out. Well for a guy that does not seem to get as many balls thrown his way, he sure has been targeted nearly as often as Austin has, 110 times thrown to, compared to Austin's 116 times. The big difference is that Austin has caught 63.8% of the time he is targeted, while DeSean has only caught 54.5%.

Lastly, you state that the Coaches and Players put Jackson ahead of Miles for the Pro Bowl. Yet the fans count for exactly 1/3rd and Jackson was 2nd in the NFC ahead of Miles, who was 3rd, by nearly 40K votes. It sure seemed like the Coaches and Players felt the same way, so it's not like the Coaches and Player helped Jackson pass Austin or anything.

Now, this by no means that DeSean sucks. They guy can ball and is probably the biggest big play threat in the NFL. But Austin is the better WR right now, and you will see just as good when he starts for a whole freaking season.

So I personally would have Miles around 93 with Jackson around a 91. Miles slightly higher, but not by much.

JMHO of course.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
MVP

Point taken. However, Desean has 18.7 YPC and Miles has 16.6

So, to end all the debate, I believe that Austin is good (Wanted to keep the Cowboys fans out of it, but alright) but they really should be about even in OVR. I wasn't saying Austin is bad either, but you do have to give Jackson credit being in his 2nd year and Austin is in his 4th.

As far as my PB comment, I wasn't saying that the coaches and players put him over the top. I know fans are a 3rd, and that just proves my point more. I'm not one for internet fights/debates, we each have our opinions and really the only one that matters is how Donny Moore screws (I mean rates) both of these players in the next week.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
LETS GO METS!!!

Sheamazin's Arena

OVR: 29

Im a NY Giants fan and I can say for a fact that D. Jackson is a much better receiver then M. Austin. D. Jackson can kill you in 4 different areas of the game(PR, KR, WR and RB).

His rating should be atleast a 93. Hes got hands, speed and he can block.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Rookie

davey225,

You are completely correct. It's just a matter of your point of view, and really a case can be made for either being rated SLIGHTLY higher than the other.

But Donny Moore will surely screw both guys over despite both guy showing that they are some of the best in the NFC right now, and next year I expect both to prove they are definitely a top of the 2nd Tier of WRs in the NFL.

I hope the Cowboys kick the Eagles butts two weeks in a row, but you seem like a pretty level headed Eagles fan, and I respect that.

Thanks for the good conversation.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Banned

Austin 90
Jackson 88

Jackson is one of those Santana Moss type guys, and Austin is one of those Reggie Wayne type guys. Plus Austin wasnt even a starter until mid season.

Last edited by bigDdominance; 01-02-2010 at 02:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters »