Home

Your Rating system

This is a discussion on Your Rating system within the Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Your Rating system

For those of You who make old teams or just redo todays team with your own system, How do You do it. I tried my own and they dont work.
ok, for defense My thoughts on ratings is this- Power moves= Strength
Finesse moves= agility.. Man/Zone coverage= speed+agility+Awareness divided by 3.. ... But what about Press, Pursuit, block shedding, and all the others ? How do you figure ratings.

Thanks..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Your Rating system

There's another thing to consider about classic teams too and it does get kind of difficult. Old teams that were utterly dominant in their era (say the 69 Vikings defense with the purple people eaters, or the Steel Curtain defenses in the 70s) would probably be trounced by even some of the weakest teams today just because of the evolution" of athletes. I don't mean to say that athletes are "better" today, but they are on average taller, heavier, faster and stronger thanks to advances in science. It really is a different game than what it used to be back then, so its kind of hard to make classic players (60s, 70s and before) accurately compare to modern players. Guys like Fran Tarkenton who literally ran circles around some of the best pass-rushers in the 60s would be road-kill if he tried the same thing against even one of the worst teams of 2012.

The big thing is to get the classic teams to "play" like they are supposed to. I have a 98 Minnesota team done that I've had to toy around with quite a bit but right now I have them working pretty good (Randy Moss is a threat to score any time on a deep ball) but another important thing here is sliders, because how the team plays for me with my sliders will differ from someone else using their own set or the default set. I'm still having problems getting John Randle to be the absolute beast that he was back then, but this is a common issue with Madden (DEs just playing patty-cake with the Tackles and not getting after the QB).
Old 10-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Rookie

Thanks Bob for the reply. In truth the 85 Bears wouldnt do well today as would 72 Miami.. In real life. But since this is a game we can have fun..
Im working on my own ratings system, right now focused on Defence
The one rating Im having trouble with is -Press.. How to come up with a rating.. Agility+Acceleration+ Strength=Press???
Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by K33057
For those of You who make old teams or just redo todays team with your own system, How do You do it. I tried my own and they dont work.
Finesse moves= agility.. Man/Zone coverage= speed+agility+Awareness divided by 3.. ... But what about Press, Pursuit, block shedding, and all the others ? How do you figure ratings.

Thanks..
I have been working on 1985 rosters since the game came out. Actually I was doing some work on them before the game came out too. Anyway, I have created formulas for certain ratings and certain positions. QBs for instance: For the Acc ratings I use the players actual compl%. Everything is adjusted based on some formulas I came up with that at least kinda mimic the way the ratings are done by EA. So I did a lot of trial and error computations. I also average 3 years worth of stats. So I try to get the year before, current year and year after. This allows me to make a more consistent player based on how they really play.
I have formulas for SAC, MAC, and DAC and also AWR. I can give you my formulas if you are interested in them. It isn't that anything is that complicated,just hard to explain, and really time consuming.
Now for RBs, they really isnt much info on 40 times from the 80s, so that makes it a little tough. Basically I work with the OVR number. I again use 3 years worth of stats and rank each RB based on yards, ypc, receptions. This allows me to at least rank them correctly. Now the trouble can be making them run like the real life counter part. This is where knowing the players helps and also watching videos of the players. I treat WRs in a similar fashion.

The hard thing is defense. tackle stats were not kept in the 80s and if they were it was only by the teams and were not always accurate. However, sacks, interceptions, forced fumble and fumble recoveries were kept. So you can use those numbers to help develop the players correctly. Another thing I do is use team stats here. For teams that were really good against the run, I make sure that those starters are solid against the run. I give Pro Bowl and All Pro players boosts in AWR and Play Recognition.

This is basically how I do the Oline. I looked at each teams stats. For run blocking I looked at rush yards and avg per rush. For pass block I looked at sacks allowed and sack %. Once the teams were ranked I settled on a distribution for the average numbers for the Oline starters. I then took that number and divided it out to 5 numbers that averaged the main number. I then applied those numbers to the starting Olineman. For players that made the Pro Bowl or were All Pro they get an AWR over 90 and a +5 to both run and pass block. Then, I take the strength number(basically whatever I think it should be) and apply it to both the run block str and pass blk str. The run blk is used then for the run footwrk and the pass blk is used for pass blk footwork. Impact blocking is a number between the blk strg numbers and the footwork numbers.
example: 1985 Miami- rush yrds-1729 avg 3.9 scks allowed 19 sck%-3.2
run rnk-18 pass rnk-1 OVR-18
Based on these numbers and the numbers of the other teams, I determined that the 18 rushing team should have an avg run block of 77. The numbers to use for the players equal out to-82,79,78,74,74
For pass block they get an average of 90. players numbers are then-95,92,90,88,87. Then the numbers are modified by anyone who was Allpro or pro bowl.
I did a great deal of research on the current madden ratings for blocking numbers as well as a lot of testing.

The next big thing is the slider set. In order to make the whole thing work the sliders MUST match how you want the game to play. For 1985 Defenses were more effective (statistically) than today. Or I guess you could say offenses were less effective. Either way, QBs should not consistently have 70% comp% games. So the sliders need to reflect the fact that the game was different. This is really important for field goals. Most kickers were not as good as they are today, so the kicking slider must be adjusted.
Anyway, I know that was really long, and probably a bit confusing so feel free to ask me to clarify. I am nearly finished with all of the teams for 1985. I have been testing along the way and I have had some really good results. I have played some games that really occurred that year and had very similar scores and stats. So overall I feel like I am on the right track. I do keep tweaking things to make the most realistic game I can.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Rookie

Thanks! Good Info! I will study this and try some of this out.
(sidenote) -I see you are from Ohio, I am from Steubenville Ohio.. Left there in 86 to move to Florida.. This time of year I miss Ohio..
again, Thanks...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Rookie

Rysumm's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
I have been working on 1985 rosters since the game came out. Actually I was doing some work on them before the game came out too. Anyway, I have created formulas for certain ratings and certain positions. QBs for instance: For the Acc ratings I use the players actual compl%. Everything is adjusted based on some formulas I came up with that at least kinda mimic the way the ratings are done by EA. So I did a lot of trial and error computations. I also average 3 years worth of stats. So I try to get the year before, current year and year after. This allows me to make a more consistent player based on how they really play.
I have formulas for SAC, MAC, and DAC and also AWR. I can give you my formulas if you are interested in them. It isn't that anything is that
complicated,just hard to explain, and really time consuming.
Now for RBs, they really isnt much info on 40 times from the 80s, so that makes it a little tough. Basically I work with the OVR number. I again use 3 years worth of stats and rank each RB based on yards, ypc, receptions. This allows me to at least rank them correctly. Now the trouble can be making them run like the real life counter part. This is where knowing the players helps and also watching videos of the players. I treat WRs in a similar fashion.

The hard thing is defense. tackle stats were not kept in the 80s and if they were it was only by the teams and were not always accurate. However, sacks, interceptions, forced fumble and fumble recoveries were kept. So you can use those numbers to help develop the players correctly. Another thing I do is use team stats here. For teams that were really good against the run, I make sure that those starters are solid against the run. I give Pro Bowl and All Pro players boosts in AWR and Play Recognition.

This is basically how I do the Oline. I looked at each teams stats. For run blocking I looked at rush yards and avg per rush. For pass block I looked at sacks allowed and sack %. Once the teams were ranked I settled on a distribution for the average numbers for the Oline starters. I then took that number and divided it out to 5 numbers that averaged the main number. I then applied those numbers to the starting Olineman. For players that made the Pro Bowl or were All Pro they get an AWR over 90 and a +5 to both run and pass block. Then, I take the strength number(basically whatever I think it should be) and apply it to both the run block str and pass blk str. The run blk is used then for the run footwrk and the pass blk is used for pass blk footwork. Impact blocking is a number between the blk strg numbers and the footwork numbers.
example: 1985 Miami- rush yrds-1729 avg 3.9 scks allowed 19 sck%-3.2
run rnk-18 pass rnk-1 OVR-18
Based on these numbers and the numbers of the other teams, I determined that the 18 rushing team should have an avg run block of 77. The numbers to use for the players equal out to-82,79,78,74,74
For pass block they get an average of 90. players numbers are then-95,92,90,88,87. Then the numbers are modified by anyone who was Allpro or pro bowl.
I did a great deal of research on the current madden ratings for blocking numbers as well as a lot of testing.

The next big thing is the slider set. In order to make the whole thing work the sliders MUST match how you want the game to play. For 1985 Defenses were more effective (statistically) than today. Or I guess you could say offenses were less effective. Either way, QBs should not consistently have 70% comp% games. So the sliders need to reflect the fact that the game was different. This is really important for field goals. Most kickers were not as good as they are today, so the kicking slider must be adjusted.
Anyway, I know that was really long, and probably a bit confusing so feel free to ask me to clarify. I am nearly finished with all of the teams for 1985. I have been testing along the way and I have had some really good results. I have played some games that really occurred that year and had very similar scores and stats. So overall I feel like I am on the right track. I do keep tweaking things to make the most realistic game I can.
I would love it if you posted your formulas.
They would be extremely helpful.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Rookie

Rysumm's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by K33057

Thanks..
Here's a speadsheet I use.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2VjWkE0UV9wSmc
Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Rookie

We need a Mike Mayock on this community to re-rate rosters.

Last year, a user named Da Rebirth posted re-rated rosters for M12, which were the most accurate I've ever seen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters »