Home

ALL MADDEN SLIDERS FOR XBOX 360

This is a discussion on ALL MADDEN SLIDERS FOR XBOX 360 within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
TEAM RANKINGS

Here's what I did...

I simmed eight seasons. In each season, I recorded each of the top four teams, middle four teams, and bottom four teams in each of the six major yardage categories (Offesnive total, passing, ruaching, and Defensive total, rushing, and passing).

Then I sorted out the teams in Excel. I then put the teams as fitting each category if that team appeared three times or more in each of those categories as high, middle, or low.

TOTAL OFFENSE
High: Colts, Eagles, Seahawks
Middle: Broncos, Falcons
Low: 49ers, Browns, Jets, Ravens, Texans

PASSING YARDS
High: Bengals, Colts, Patriots, Rams, Seahawks
Middle: 49ers, Broncos, Chiefs
Low: Falcons, Jaguars, Texans

RUSHING YARDS
High: Eagles, Falcons, Giants, Redskins, Seahawks
Middle: Buccaneers, Dolphins
Low: 49ers, Colts, Jets, Rams, Titans

TOTAL DEFENSE
High: Bills, Broncos, Steelers
Middle: Chargers, Packers
Low: Bengals, Cardinals, Saints, Texans

PASSING DEFENSE
High: Bills, Broncos, Eagles, Redskins, Steelers
Middle: Browns
Low: Bengals, Cardinals, Raiders

RUSHING DEFENSE
High: Bears, Broncos, Patriots, Seahawks, Vikings
Middle: Browns, Jets
Low: 49ers, Bengals, Cowboys, Raiders, Saints, Texans
Old 10-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #18
Rookie

MAKING THE SLIDERS

What I will begin doing is using these teams in games versus each other as appopriate to begin developing sliders.

For example, to work on my pass based sliders (QBA, WRC, PBK, AWR, KND, INT), I will focus on playing mediocre passing teams v. mediocre passing defense teams, high power passing teams verus high powered defense teams, and so on.

I believe that this will provide a good basis from which to construct a basic slider set (no I don't believe default sliders return statistics that match the ones I posted above).

I realize several problems withthis approach. The premier is that the sliders I make will be designed for someone of my skill level and tendencies. However, if someone else uses them and needs to change them, at least that person will know that he has a (pretty much) sound foundation from which to build.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #19
Rookie

SPECIAL TEAMS SLIDERS

I tested the special teams sliders first because they are the easiest to verify.

Slider (User/CPU)
Field Goal Power: 20/10
Field Goal Accuracy: 10/5
Punting Power: 5/45
Punting Accuracy: 25/45
Kickoff Power: 5/5

These are pretty soundly tested, and match the NFL and Madden season stats pretty well. I can strongly recommend using these over your current special teams sliders.

Here's what I did...

Field Goal Power and Field Goal Accuracy
I examined the best starting kickers in the league with the highest and lowest KPW and KA abilities. The best kicker is Niel Rackers of the Cardinals. The poorest is Robbie Gould of the Bears.

Then, I researched their field goal stats on NFL.com and in my Madden Franchise Sets. Before running trials, I arrived at the following conclusions:

1. Niel Racker's record long field goal is 55 yards, and he has made about 60% of his field goal attempts over 50 yards.

2. Robbie Gould's record long field goal attempt is 45 yards, and he has made about 60% of his field goal attempts between 4-50 yards. He has not attempted over 50 yards.

3. Calm weather, kicking from the center of the field is the way to test. This is because, if you average out all the wind conditions (forward, back, left, and right), and you average out the hash marks, they should average out to zero wind and center of the field kicking (roughly).

4. Both the CPU and I should be able to hit a 55 yard field goal with Rackers, but only barely, and only on a solid kick.

5. Both the CPU and I should be able to hit a 48 yard field goal with Robbie Gould, but only barely, and only on a solid kick.

I ran the trials with 10 attempts (for both CPU and User) at each KPW and KAC setting. I tweaked and changed the sliders after each trial set. When I set CPU KPW to 10 and KAC to 5, Niel hit roughly 60% of his tries from 53 yards out. He hit roughly 40% of his tries from 55 yards. The same held true for Robbie Gould from 48 yards. Robbie was unable to hit a 50 yard field goal without aid from the wind. But he barely missed each time (a lot of balls bouncing off the crossbars).

I tweaked the User slider the same way. Only with the kicking arrow dropped and a solid metered kick was I able to land the 55 yarders with Niel. I averaged the same success rate as the CPU with both kickers.

These numbers match each kicker's career averages in the NFL and on Madden within one or two percent...very precise.

Punting Power and Punting Accuracy
The same conclusions from above were drawn for these trials, with the following exceptions:

1. Shane Lechler of the raiders is the strongest starting Punter, and Toby Gowin of the Texans is among the weakest. Shane's average net punt yards are 46.9, and Toby's are 43.4

2. The CPU and I should be averaging the same distance with both punters in calm conditions (see above).

I ran several trials of 15 attempts per punter. When I tweaked the CPU PTP and PAC to 45 and 45, Shane averaged 47.2 yards and Toby averaged 42.6. These are within one yard each of the NFL and Madden punting averages.

The same is true for the User when the sliders are set to 5 and 25, respectively. This is true for a user who averages with a maxed out meter or a meter within the top notch of the scale. It also includes miscued kicks. It is therefore, in my opinion, extremely reliable for punting.

Kickoff Power
For these we return to Niel Rackers and Robbie Gould. Niel's average career kickoff length in the NFL is 67.5. Robbie's is 65.8. You can see there is not a huge difference here.

Sliders for both the User and CPU had to be taken to five before the game returned these averages. In calm wind, Robbie Gould could kick a touchback maybe 10% of the time. Niel Rackers kicked a touchback roughly 33% of the time. These touchback stats are also statistically similar to both kickers' performances in the NFL and in the simulated Franchise Sets.

For special teams, these sliders are probably the way to go for everyone. The same won't be true for the other sliders I prepare, because they will be a lot harder to test accurately.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #20
Rookie

Re: SPECIAL TEAMS SLIDERS

im following your work. keep it up. im interested to see how the passing game works out in all madden.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #21
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: SPECIAL TEAMS SLIDERS

Yeap same here... very interesting....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #22
Rookie

jahswill's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: ALL MADDEN SLIDERS FOR XBOX 360

JoeGibbs, you seem to be compiling some of the best sliders that I have ever seen. The detail in which you are using is top notch. I can't wait to see the final set and or results.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #23
Rookie

UNDERSTANDING THE EFFECT OF SLIDERS

Thanks, all three of you! Hopefully, we can get some real insight into the effect of sliders with this stuff.

UNDERSTANDING THE EFFECT OF SLIDERS...CPU RUNNING
What I was really curious about was how to balance the sliders out. For example, what does it mean to have QBA set to 50, and AWR set to 60? What precise effect does that have? I mean to say...because sliders are so intricately intertwined, how do we measure the effect of moving each of them?

The only way to do this was to zero out all the sliders, then record what affect altering each of them had. Starting with CPU running, here's what I did...

I chose the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as my rushing offense, because they came of average in rushing in the league pretty consistently. For the defense, I chose the NEW York Jets for the same reason (see the above posts). I took these two teams to Practice Mode, set the ball on the Bucs' 20-yard line, and set both teams to call random plays.

I then set all of the sliders to zero, and watched and recorded the YPC of every running play the Bucs ran. I did this thirty times, then recorded the average. Then, I set User Awareness to 100, then did the same thing. Then I lowered User Awareness to zero, and raised User tackle, and recorded thirty more plays.

(As a side note, excised from my records any runs over 20 yards, as they would skew my results. I included in the records situations where the QB ran. I counted four fumbles in all of the trials total, with no variance depending on sliders. More on that later).

I isolated each slider, setting it to 100 while the others were at zero. The results were pretty interesting.

All Sliders at Zero (CPU Running Back Ability, CPU Run Block, User Awareness, User Tackle, and User Break Block)
With all of the sliders set to zero, Tampa Bay averaged 4.03 YPC. This is lower than the Madden rushing average by .5 YPC, and higher than the actual NFL average by .3.

CPU Running Back Ability at 100
With CPU RBA at 100, and all of the others at 0, the CPU averaged 6.35 yards per carry. This is 57% higher than the YPC when it was at zero with the rest. Now, I did not run enough plays per trial (30) to go out on a limb....but, if this stat held up for, say, 100 recorded plays, you could make the following conclusion...

Each click of the CPU RBA slider away from zero will increase the CPU Yards per Carry by .02. So if you set the CPU RBA Slider at, say, 10, the CPU's YPC will be .23 higher than were it at zero.

CPU Run Block at 100
Only one other slider had as great an effect on the CPU rushing game than CPU Run Block. With CPU Run Block at 100, the CPU averaged 6.54 yards per carry. This is 62% higher than the 4.03 the CPU averages when all sliders are at zero. Again, if this were to hold up over more trials, then we could make the following conclusion with great confidence...

Each click of the CPU RBK slider away from zero will increase the CPU yards per carry by .025. So if you set it to, say, ten, then CPU YPC would be .25 highers than were it at zero.

User Awareness at 100
Interestingly, raising User Awareness to 100 had little noticeable effect on the CPU running game, which averaged 3.87 YPC. This is a three percent difference!

One could conclude that User Awareness does not have as much impact in stopping the run as we previously thought. Something to think about. I will point out that I was not paying attention to which plays were draws, counters, and play actions. That is something I will look into.

User Tackle at 100
Increasing User Tackle to 100 reduced the CPU's rushing average to a terrible 1.12 YPC. At a 73% variance from the standard 4.03 YPC, no other slider will affect the CPU running game than changing User Tackle.

To be specific, for every ten clicks away from zero that you increase User Tackle, you lower the CPU YPC by about .3 yards. That is a HUGE effect.

User Break Block at 100
Increasing User Break Block to 100 reduced the CPU running attack to 2.23 YPC. While not as dramatic an effect as User Tackle, it still represents a 50% decrease in CPU running performance. So, again with my caveat, I can conclude that...

For every ten clicks away from zero that you set User Break Block, you reduce the CPU's rushing attack by .18 yards per carry.

CONCLUSIONS
First, while I ran six trials totalling 180 recorded plays, I would bemore confident in my observations. But there are limits to my couch-potatoeness!Still, I think 30 recorded plays per category is statistically sound...it just might not be as precise as I would like it.

Second, there is one huge question that still needs to be answered. Are slider effects absolute or relative. In other words...if I had run the same trials with thebase sliders at 50 instead of zero, would I still get the same percentage differences? If so, they are absolute. If the percentages change, then they are relative, and things would be tricky.

Using, for example the User Break Block slider from above...if all sliders were set to zero, and I increased the Break Block to 100, would the difference in the CPU running game be 25% or would it be some other whacky number? Only running those trials will tell us.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #24
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: UNDERSTANDING THE EFFECT OF SLIDERS

It keep getting more interesting post after post... Great work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »