Home

the problem.......

This is a discussion on the problem....... within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12
the problem.......

In reading thru every slider set post, trying most all of them, coming up with several sets of my own, then trashing my own sliders, I have come to my own conclusion.........as follows.

All of us on here have created sliders that went thru testing by that (those) creators - in testing, they looked great. Then, we all see the replies saying, "I tried you sliders......too many TO's."

I truly believe that we all are making good, functional at worst, sliders. The problem is not that we don't know what we are doing as we would not post sliders that created turnovers.

the problem is that the damn game is way too inconsistent.

I have played many games (too many really). I have had games that were totally amazing with a set, played another, and another great one, then played a game where the CPU threw 5 picks and there were 6 fumbles.

We, as avid gamers, cannot possibly make even one successful slider set because there is NO constant involved in this game. Well, I take that back - the "constant" is that you will not have consistent games vs the cpu. Is every game in the NFL "the same" - of course not, but on the other hand, how many times do you see Manning or Brady look right at a defender and throw it right to him? Have we all turned on games on Sunday thinking "this is going to be great and it is a blowout that we turn off?" Yup. But do I think that EA coded in the "occasional bad game" for QB's. No. When Indy, or NE comes up on the schedule I think "this will be fun trying to shut them down" then, by the end of the first quarter I am up 21-0 w/twp pick-6's.

Unless there is some patch released to make the cpu AI use common sense, (or drop DB catching below 70...some are in the 80's) the best tested sliders are worthless to achieve what we all want - a good, realistic (for a vid game) game. Until I read that this is patched I cannot put Madden back in unless I am playing a friend.

Franchise, my usualy favorite part of the game - is broken, not just because of the "every rookie is 26 thing" - but because the CPU stupidity makes it not playable. If I cound get 7 of every 9 games to play great I would be happy. You simply cannot, and that is sad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
gtm
M*t*l F*r*v*r

gtm's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: the problem.......

I agree. Hence my signature. CPU/CPU testing is the way to go for sports gaming. The developers could play test in this mode while concentrating strictly on AI. The sliders then would be used by the consumer and they should work properly. This gives the AI to play correctly.

OK, now attack me.

CLICK ME==> NY Mets Dynasty Page

I'm the only person on the planet that says sports games AI should be tested in cpu/cpu mode

U.S. Navy Veteran (Disabled Vet)

"Life, Liberty, And Pursuit Of All Who Threaten It"
Old 08-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman19
I agree. Hence my signature. CPU/CPU testing is the way to go for sports gaming. The developers could play test in this mode while concentrating strictly on AI. The sliders then would be used by the consumer and they should work properly. This gives the AI to play correctly.

OK, now attack me.

I agree with you, I think. The only way to test the AI is to let it play itself - alot - and then see what happens.

I think it would also help if the sliders acually worked. I think a 0 INT slider should mean there are literally 0 ints. It's like turning the volume to 0 - do you still hear anything? Most of us have maxed out most penalties - I have yet to see a facemask call in 07 or 08.

Also it woudl be good to know exactly what the sliders do - many people think (or believe, or assume, or 'know') what all of these do, but do we really? There are sliders with knockdowns at 100 and others at or near 0 - what exactly does this do? The description says 'This slider affects the number of knockdowns' well, gee thanks. HOW? By increasing/decreasing the 'halo' in which they move towards the ball (telporting?) or just that they will try to knock it down instead of catch it. Who knows?

I think many sliders sets can be used because the number combinations mix together and create a decent game but you better hope that you don't have a Fumblepalooza game in th efirst few you play with them or you will go back to the drawing board. And if you don't see it in the first few games, don't worry, it's coming. The Momentum in the game is overwhelmingly powerful and it affect TO's the most.

It's a shame because for the most part I really like this game, and I want to love this game but the TO festivals need to stop.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Bottom Line: Sliders cant be "global" to everyone as everyone has a different skill level.

Last edited by shockman; 08-23-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Banned

arichzona's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockman
Bottom Line: Sliders cant be "global" to everyone as everyone has a different skill level.
we know this..........and we are not trying to come up with a set that works for the world. What we are getting at is that REGARDLESS of what set you use - the same issues show up, maybe not right away, but rest assured - they will be there and it will make you want to turn the console off - which is what none of us want.

I have read this before and believe it to be a great concept where zero means - ZERO. Therefore a "0" in knockdowns means that there are ZERO knockdowns unless a pass actually hits a guy. Same goes for INT's. At least let the consumer know what the value of the slider is - don't be vague - as mentioned above.

The bottom line though is not sliders.........it is the CPU AI - sliders are not, and to this point, fixing the issues of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
Most of us have maxed out most penalties - I have yet to see a facemask call in 07 or 08.
That's because everytime a facemask penalty happens they never call it unlike last year where it seemed like there were way too many facemask penalties. At least last year they had them! It's pretty funny how they have something in one year but the next year it is not in the game anymore yet we have a slider too control how many there are.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichzona
I have played many games (too many really). I have had games that were totally amazing with a set, played another, and another great one, then played a game where the CPU threw 5 picks and there were 6 fumbles.

Franchise, my usualy favorite part of the game - is broken, not just because of the "every rookie is 26 thing" - but because the CPU stupidity makes it not playable. If I cound get 7 of every 9 games to play great I would be happy. You simply cannot, and that is sad.
I haven't really had turnover issues except for the occasional crazy game ever 7th or 8th game I play. Fumbles only occur once or twice per game for me and the CPU generally throws 1-3 picks. I do however agree with you that the occasional crazy game makes it hard to find good sliders when trying them out and no sliders will make those crazy games go away.

That being said, I've read that using Supersim for your defense is a good way not to have the CPU turnover issues. The downsides are that you can't play defense and T.O.P. will be severely in your favor all the time because the clock doesn't run between plays in Super Sim.

But if these are not huge concerns for you then you can probably find a quarter length that'll give you a realistic number of plays if you supersim on defense and it pretty much eliminates the CPU turnover issues. It also allows you to play your games quicker.

As I said, the turnovers haven't been too over the top for me so far but if I ever encounter the issue to the point of being fed up with it, this Super Sim the defense idea will certainly be something I'll try out.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Banned

arichzona's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
I haven't really had turnover issues except for the occasional crazy game ever 7th or 8th game I play. Fumbles only occur once or twice per game for me and the CPU generally throws 1-3 picks. I do however agree with you that the occasional crazy game makes it hard to find good sliders when trying them out and no sliders will make those crazy games go away.

That being said, I've read that using Supersim for your defense is a good way not to have the CPU turnover issues. The downsides are that you can't play defense and T.O.P. will be severely in your favor all the time because the clock doesn't run between plays in Super Sim.

But if these are not huge concerns for you then you can probably find a quarter length that'll give you a realistic number of plays if you supersim on defense and it pretty much eliminates the CPU turnover issues. It also allows you to play your games quicker.

As I said, the turnovers haven't been too over the top for me so far but if I ever encounter the issue to the point of being fed up with it, this Super Sim the defense idea will certainly be something I'll try out.
thx but being on that side of the ball is where I played until age 23. Kind of hard for me to just let that part go......ya know?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »