Home

Best threshold?

This is a discussion on Best threshold? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Most realistic threshold?
0 17 20.73%
5 0 0%
10 0 0%
15 0 0%
20 2 2.44%
25 4 4.88%
30 3 3.66%
35 7 8.54%
40 5 6.10%
45 2 2.44%
50 13 15.85%
55 6 7.32%
60 4 4.88%
65 3 3.66%
70 5 6.10%
75 7 8.54%
80 1 1.22%
Over 80 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #33
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Best threshold?

Here is a You Tube video of examples of speed Threshold settings. Pretty interesting video:

Old 08-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

Right...well that seems a little much for a video game. I spent an hour looking at this and found that when a player is 10 speed points ahead that he'll be faster at 0% threshold. I looked at 55% and it's still too close for someone with that much of a speed gap.

You cannot really compare a players real life speed to the game. I am comparing the speed of the players on the game to each other.

Percey Harvin: Speed 97, Real life 40 time: 4.41
Darrius Heyward-Bey: Speed 97, Real life 40 time: 4.3

That is quite the difference for two players rated the same on this game.

It's realistic when two 97's are running at the same rate and a 97 and an 87 are far apart. Not realistic when you are running at the same rate no matter what your speed is.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
Here is a You Tube video of examples of speed Threshold settings. Pretty interesting video:

So based off of this video, which threshold do most of you feel is "realistic" to real game speed and the best sim-style play?

I've been sitting at 50 for almost all of my games. I can't imagine zero or 100 being correct, but I can see some possible advantages to 35-50, or 50-75.

At 35-50 you would see a more significant difference between faster skill players (RB, WR, CB, S) compared to slower lineman and LB's, so the run and pass game might open up a bit.

At 50-75 the speed differences should tighten up a bit which might help lineman and LB's get a better pass rush?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

I did my threshold testing by going into practice mode, selecting a screen pass play for the offense, and then various defense plays and just ran the play over and over again, i tried to keep everything consistant by letting the QB do his automatic drop back and throwing as soon as he stopped and planted (7 step dropback on this particular play). I'm on very slow by the way, but the threshold should be proportional at all the speeds.

At 0 threshold, The RB was getting out so far ahead of the blockers, that by the time he caught the ball, they were of zero help and thus it wasn't really a screen pass at all. I ran that test over 50 times, and the majority of the time no blocker was ever in a position to block, which is why i felt that 0 threshold is useless.

I ended up liking the feel of 55-60 best, because even though the blockers are dumb, and block the wrong people, or don't even attempt them, at that threshold they are at least in the position to make contact with the opposition right when the HB catches the ball and moves up field.

At 0 threshold they don't get to the 2nd layer to block before the play is close to over. At 55-60 they actually can open things up in the 2nd layer to make a screen play actually a screen play. And at 100, everyone was just too bunched up and didn't look or feel realistic at all.

I suggest everyone try this method of just testing the heck out of screen plays to see which threshold make this play work and look good, because for me the linemen blocking is so bad, that my goal was to at least just get them in the ideal position where they would actually be in a real life screen pass, and not lagging so far behind that they are completely useless.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #37
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj32279
Right...well that seems a little much for a video game. I spent an hour looking at this and found that when a player is 10 speed points ahead that he'll be faster at 0% threshold. I looked at 55% and it's still too close for someone with that much of a speed gap.

You cannot really compare a players real life speed to the game. I am comparing the speed of the players on the game to each other.

Percey Harvin: Speed 97, Real life 40 time: 4.41
Darrius Heyward-Bey: Speed 97, Real life 40 time: 4.3

That is quite the difference for two players rated the same on this game.

It's realistic when two 97's are running at the same rate and a 97 and an 87 are far apart. Not realistic when you are running at the same rate no matter what your speed is.
you dont see the issue here... two 97's, one runs a 4.3, one runs a 4.41... so for arguments sake say the average 97 rated player runs a 4.35 in real life

in real life the average WR runs a 4.53... the average rated WR is 87

at 0 the gap between someone who runs a 4.35 and 4.53 is huge... so unrealistic

and clearly you again didnt read my post... I am comparing players speeds in the game to each other... at around 55 threshold players are proportionally the same speed as they are in real life

how does it get any more realistic than that?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »