Home

Slider Numbness

This is a discussion on Slider Numbness within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Slider Numbness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
I've enjoyed the game in spurts. Every time I try a new slider set, I get a few good games out of it, but then something happens and suddenly either I can't buy a first down against the CPU or I crush the CPU 70-0 every game.
Yea I go through that also. I see a new slider set. I try it. Its cool for a game or two then it seem to completely breakdown. Mind you, I know every game is gonna be different, but come on. I can play a high rated team, have a good game. (I might win, I might lose) but then you play a lower rated team and you can't do nothing. The computer is running all over you. Sacking you like down. And if they are not sacking you they are picking you off every play. I used playmakers sliders for madden 08. And they were real good. On here they just don't work for me. I don't think its the slider set. Its the game. I think this game needs to be SERIOUSLY PATCHED.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
Slider chasing is really something I don't have the time or patience for anymore.

So, I just play on the default settings for most games. Thankfully, Madden has MySkill, which I love because it basically tweaks sliders for you. Some will argue that it makes certain aspects of the game too easy, but honestly, I don't see it.

You need to play a good 10 games on MySkill for your IQ to balance out and then the number doesn't fluctuate much unless you have a really good, or bad, game.
My problem with MySkill is that my Madden IQ fluctuates a great deal. I've had it down as low as 450 for 3-4 games, and as high as 618 for a few games. I might try it at some point, but I don't think I have the patience to play 10-12 games waiting for the MySkill sliders to sort themselves out.

Not to mention, I want my team to be consistent. If I have a good running game (which I do as the Cowboys), then I want to have a good running game consistently. I don't want to have a good running game, then a pretty good one, then a decent one, then a fairly poor one, then a decent one again as the sliders for Rushing increase and decrease.

I almost feel that MySkill punishes you for doing well. If you've got a good run game and are able to rack up some good yardage, it makes running harder. I get that it's designed to make the game challenging, but I don't think that it's fair that the game is going to handicap you and make your running game worse just because you did well.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
My problem with MySkill is that my Madden IQ fluctuates a great deal. I've had it down as low as 450 for 3-4 games, and as high as 618 for a few games. I might try it at some point, but I don't think I have the patience to play 10-12 games waiting for the MySkill sliders to sort themselves out.

Not to mention, I want my team to be consistent. If I have a good running game (which I do as the Cowboys), then I want to have a good running game consistently. I don't want to have a good running game, then a pretty good one, then a decent one, then a fairly poor one, then a decent one again as the sliders for Rushing increase and decrease.

I almost feel that MySkill punishes you for doing well. If you've got a good run game and are able to rack up some good yardage, it makes running harder. I get that it's designed to make the game challenging, but I don't think that it's fair that the game is going to handicap you and make your running game worse just because you did well.
MySkill really doesn't work like that. I find it to be very realistic.

Here's the point I try and drive home every time this is broached: you mentioned using the Cowboys and having a good rushing attack. You honestly can't expect to have great games on the ground in all 16 games of a season. It just doesn't work like that in the real NFL and it shouldn't be that way in Madden.

Defenses will adjust to your playcalling and eventually you're going to run into a team that has cooked up a scheme to shut down your strength. MySkill represents that well, if you ask me.

There's also not this huge drop in numbers, either. If I throw for 300 yards a couple of weeks I don't then have 2-3 weeks where I'm struggling to throw for 150. The stats stay pretty consistent. As mentioned, though, there's going to be those few games where your strength is shut down.

Not trying to single you out in any way, just trying to show my reasoning for using MySkill.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
Rookie

pezone's Arena

OVR: 7

so you guys that play with My Skill....do you guys get games were you lose??...One of the things I hate is going undefeated all season....

I play with the Packers....I know they are good, could be really good...but they are nowhere close to being an undefeated team!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

I'm really liking All-Pro having venturing into MySkill and a Custom set of my own.

All-Pro is where it's at for me.

Make the custom sliders too hard, and every team becomes a monster.

All-Pro seems to allow a challenge, while replicating realistic success against the different classes of teams.

For instance, the Lions should NOT present the same challenge as say the Giants. They don't have the same dominating pass-rush as the Giants, nor the bruiser back like Jacobs who can move a pile of 7 defenders.

However, tip the scale too much in the CPUs favor a la custom sliders and the Lions start looking a lot like a force to be reckoned with.

Given they've got a weapon in CJ and Smith they should move the chains, but they should also be stopped consistently as well and you should be able to move the ball on them fairly well AND get sacks against a weak O-Line.

On All-Pro I'm finding teams play normal to their strengths and weaknesses, and each week is not some obscene challenge to have to execute every drive to perfection because the scale is tipped so much in the CPUs favor.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
Pro

northface28's Arena

OVR: 6

I am still going back and forth with PlayMakers sliders and MySkill. With Playmakers sliders the game plays better and has a more authentic feel even though I have yet to lose. With custom sliders I find myself "going thru the motions". Now with MySkill robo qb is in full effect, cpu rbs break 8-10 tackles per play, cpu dbs run the same routes as my wr's etc. But I do lose and in the end thats what I want, to actually lose games. Do I get frustrated with the obvious super human ability of cpu? Absolutely, but with EA Sports there will always be a tradeoff. I cannot acheive the authentic feel of football AND lose to the cpu. Its one or the other, which is usually the case with EA as they are so extreme in their games. So in order to lose I have to play the cpu and their supercharged incredible hulks.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #15
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
MySkill really doesn't work like that. I find it to be very realistic.

Here's the point I try and drive home every time this is broached: you mentioned using the Cowboys and having a good rushing attack. You honestly can't expect to have great games on the ground in all 16 games of a season. It just doesn't work like that in the real NFL and it shouldn't be that way in Madden.

Defenses will adjust to your playcalling and eventually you're going to run into a team that has cooked up a scheme to shut down your strength. MySkill represents that well, if you ask me.

There's also not this huge drop in numbers, either. If I throw for 300 yards a couple of weeks I don't then have 2-3 weeks where I'm struggling to throw for 150. The stats stay pretty consistent. As mentioned, though, there's going to be those few games where your strength is shut down.

Not trying to single you out in any way, just trying to show my reasoning for using MySkill.
I disagree totally and I did use MY SKILL for about 40 games.
What happens is if you have a really good game running the ball the next game it is near impossible to run and then the next game you can run again. Also if you shut down the cpu the next game no matter who you are playing the cpu will torch you. I dont think it really takes into account the team you are playing. Case in point my Viking franchise. Game one I win big and the cpu can not move the ball at all, game 2 I play the terrible Lions and they are impossible to stop!
I just finished a season with the Cowboys. First round of the playoffs I tear up the 49ers 41-3, well the next game which is the NFC champ the Saints beat me 56-10! Brees was 24-26 with 410 yards and 7 tds, I couldnt stop them no matter what I tried.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
I disagree totally and I did use MY SKILL for about 40 games.
What happens is if you have a really good game running the ball the next game it is near impossible to run and then the next game you can run again. Also if you shut down the cpu the next game no matter who you are playing the cpu will torch you. I dont think it really takes into account the team you are playing. Case in point my Viking franchise. Game one I win big and the cpu can not move the ball at all, game 2 I play the terrible Lions and they are impossible to stop!
I just finished a season with the Cowboys. First round of the playoffs I tear up the 49ers 41-3, well the next game which is the NFC champ the Saints beat me 56-10! Brees was 24-26 with 410 yards and 7 tds, I couldnt stop them no matter what I tried.
Whenever I play the Saints they always seem unstoppable. Brees throws between 400 and 650 yds. and throws between 4 and 7 td's. Everytime I play them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »