Home

Steeler99's Franchise Sliders

This is a discussion on Steeler99's Franchise Sliders within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Steeler99's Franchise Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws591
I just simmed another season as I was playing sporadic games trying to find some that would produce a good game to test the sliders, and I can say I fear the Patriots this year. The picked up about 5 90s in the off seasons. Also to the guy who was wondering about Manning still being in the game, well he retired this year and I picked the top QB in the draft hoping to trade the Colts for him, I am looking for at least 1st round as their current QB is Tony Homo with a 73ovrl.

I need to test in a game where I have more control of the offense, but I'll be out of town until Monday, so I will be away from madden for a while. But from what I did play, everything seemed good. I am getting sacks, interceptions, fumbles, and they are as well.

I have seen that about the patch, but I feel like I am getting just as many now as when I got the game(first day it came out.) I remember I won my first franchise game by tieing with a Kick return, then winning in overtime with a kick return.
Relating to sacks and int's, are most of your sacks coming from the players you manually control, or is it the cpu controlled players getting to the QB? Also who gets most of your sacks, DEs, DTs, LBs? Same question for int's, mostly manual or cpu players getting them?

Thanks again for all your testing and feedback ... have a good trip!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #58
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
Off the top of my head I would say sometimes yes, but not all the time ... I know that's not a very good answer, but I only recently dropped cpu pass as low as it is. I tell you what, I'll be playing a game or two in a short while. I will pay close attention to the DB's and get back to you with a better answer. Any specific routes your more interested in, or any pass play in general?
um, i'm mainly concerned with plays where momentum is taken into account for both WR and DB... there will be times when the WR cuts using a stutter step and momentum but the db for whatever reason didnt get up to speed fast enough so they just turn w/out any momentum (or sometimes the WR will cut w/out momentum, resulting in him getting open)... obviously those plays arent a good sample

its the plays where the WR cuts using momentum and so does the DB that I'm interested to see how quickly the DB reacts after the WR has started his cut... routes where the WR runs downfield around 10 yards and cuts at a 90 degree angle are good to see this

is the DB planting his foot to cut at the same time the WR is? a half a step behind? a full step? before the WR plants?

obviously it will vary a little each time, but you should be able to see in replays a general timing by the db

Last edited by bill2451; 09-30-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #59
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
um, i'm mainly concerned with plays where momentum is taken into account for both WR and DB... there will be times when the WR cuts using a stutter step and momentum but the db for whatever reason didnt get up to speed fast enough so they just turn w/out any momentum... obviously those plays arent a good sample

its the plays where the WR cuts using momentum and so does the DB that I'm interested to see how quickly the DB reacts after the WR has started his cut

is the DB planting his foot to cut at the same time the WR is? a half a step behind? a full step? before the WR plants?

obviously it will vary a little each time, but you should be able to see in replays a general timing by the db
Based on your description I would say an "out" or "curl" route would be a good test of what your looking for? I'll watch some replays closely in my game tonight and get back to you.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:30 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 4

I normally don't use more than my D-line to put pressure on the quarterback, but they do the job. Throughout the couple of games I have played I got probably about 2 users DE sacks, 2 CPU DE sacks, 1 DT Sack, and 2 LB sacks. I had a lot of rushed passes and "passes before the QB hits the ground" though from even pressure from my DEs and DTs. Ints are coming mostly from CPU corners, though I have had a tipped ball INT from LBs as well as a coverage INT from a LB. I normally let the CPU control the CBs, unless they go long in which I try to do it. I blocked a couple long passes, intercepted one, but also got burnt by 2.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #61
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

yes, both of those are good choices, i'd prolly say out route is best but if the db isn't playing press on a curl it works well too (or if he is playing press but the curl is a deep one)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws591
I normally don't use more than my D-line to put pressure on the quarterback, but they do the job. Throughout the couple of games I have played I got probably about 2 users DE sacks, 2 CPU DE sacks, 1 DT Sack, and 2 LB sacks. I had a lot of rushed passes and "passes before the QB hits the ground" though from even pressure from my DEs and DTs. Ints are coming mostly from CPU corners, though I have had a tipped ball INT from LBs as well as a coverage INT from a LB. I normally let the CPU control the CBs, unless they go long in which I try to do it. I blocked a couple long passes, intercepted one, but also got burnt by 2.
Now that you mention it, I think most of my sacks come when I only rush 3-4 lineman as well. For lack of a better term I'd say the majority of my sacks are essentially "coverage sacks". Maybe that's the trick in M10 ... don't focus so much on "sending the house" to get to the QB, just send your base lineman (+1 LB if running a 3-4), and focus more on covering receivers.

The best sacks I have had haven't necessarily been because I got to the Qb quickly, but more because the cpu Qb had to hang onto the ball longer ...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #63
Banned

My first game tonight has the Bills (me) vs Buccaneers. Both teams are rated at 78 so I figured a nice balanced game for testing.

Bill,
To answer your question about DB reactions, I'm finding that the DB's react very shortly after the hum WR cuts. This has been providing VERY tight coverage by the cpu DB's, yet still allows enough separation for realistic completions.

As I mentioned earlier I'm finding the best means of getting sacks isn't necessarily more pressure to the QB, but focusing more on blanket coverage. My first sack in this game had everyone very well covered and as the cpu QB started to exit the pocket looking for a receiver to come open, my cpu-controlled DE got him ... which also caused a fumble with me recovering!

Consequently on my next series (in an attempt to check an "out route" for Bill), I incorrectly read coverage and when I threw into what I thought was man coverage I hit the cpu DB right in his zone ... no longer my ball! ha

Well I'm heading into the half up 14-0 after a beautiful touch pass to T.O. for my second score. Overall this game has played exactly as I would suspect with the Buc's rookie Qb struggling, and their run game being inadequate without a passing attack. My run game was very strong against the Buc's weak D-line so I somewhat controlled the half. I'm short on time so rather than play out this whole game I will now play a half against a stronger team and see how it compares.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:48 AM   #64
Banned

Game two has me (Bills) up against the Titans. This “should” provide a much stiffer challenge than my game against the Bucs?

Ball goes to the Titans first and Oh Boy, what a difference an opponent makes! Titan’s run game is especially strong and Johnson carves up my defense for 54 yards … fortunately a key stop on 2nd down puts them in a 3rd and long so they have to throw. They complete the pass but short of a first so they settle for a FG.

Now for my first drive against the tough Titans defense. MUCH different compared with how I controlled the weaker Buc’s defense. After a two yard run on first down, I make a short completion, but then miss on a slant route … three and out, Titans ball.

Well once again Johnson was a one-man wrecking crew! He carved my defense up again with a mix of runs and shorts passes/screens. The Titan’s offense had me and the Bill’s defense completely off balance. Fortunately Johnson got tired and went out for a short breather … unfortunately White came in and powered his way across the goalline on a short pass to the flats. Titans lead 10-0

For my next drive I won’t force the run. Instead I will attempt to use a short passing game to hopefully open up the run and get on the scoreboard. My drive starts at the 25. Well it almost worked … after three completions got me all the way down to the Titan’s 39 yd line, I missed on my next pass, then had a 2 yd run. My 3rd down pass was batted down so once again I had to punt. Fortunately it was a good one and I have them pinned at their own 5 yd line! Let’s see if I can stop their run this time and force a three and out?

Well my CB blitz on first down failed to reach the QB and they got it all the way out to the 40 yd line before I finally stopped them. After their punt it’s once again my ball starting on my own 25 yd line, with 2:43 left in the half

Nothing doing! Once again they stuffed my offense and before I knew it I was playing defense again? To close out the half the Titan drove down to my 32 yd line, but with only 10 seconds on the clock they decided to try a FG. 49 yd FG was good, Titans take a 13-0 lead into the half.

This game has played freakishly realistic so far with the Titans being a very good run team with a strong defense. Felt completely different compared with my earlier game against the Bucs (a good thing imo). As a matter of fact, in this game the Titans are making ME feel like the Bucs!

A few more test games tomorrow against varying opponents, and I think I'm close to calling this set final?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »