Home

Speed Threshold Best Setting?

This is a discussion on Speed Threshold Best Setting? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Speed Threshold Best Setting?

I tested them quite extensively, and while the default 50 is pretty accurate, it generated just too many big plays, and also made all backs far too lethal in the passing game..(even though this was partly down to the flats issue).

Speed is just too important in Madden, and doesn't reflect reality. Hines Ward and Larry Fitz, are both light years ahead of guys like Hester irl, in terms of quality of receiver, but not so in Madden.

And talking of Chris Johnson, he got clear outside on just one play last week, but when he slightly slowed down to juke Revis, he then got caught from behind by LB Vernon Gholston, and the play was held to 29 yds. (That's an 82 speed LB catching a 99 Speed back from behind in Madden terms, albeit he wouldn't really slow down when juking in Madden)

Anyways, I just reckon threshold at 75 plays a better game, that's all.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:59 AM   #18
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falacer
Highly doubt it, all the settings are at 50 by default. I say its just laziness on EA part and they let people play with em and find good sets of settings.
you realize that ratings scales are not universal, right

of course they are all set to 50 by default, that means you can adjust them up and down by the same amount... however what that "50" represents can vary greatly and is not a constant

Madden could have chosen anything for the default speed, at the end of the day whatever they chose would be 50... if what we know as 0 they had wanted as default, it would have been labeled 50 and we'd be able to go even slower

ratings themselves mean nothing... Madden could have made every rating within 5 of each other, if each change of 1 was the equivalent of the current systems change of 20 then it would be exactly the same (albeit with less exact detail, but the differences would be there)

what is going on "behind the scenes" is what is important, the actual scale isnt
Old 10-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
you realize that ratings scales are not universal, right

of course they are all set to 50 by default, that means you can adjust them up and down by the same amount... however what that "50" represents can vary greatly and is not a constant

Madden could have chosen anything for the default speed, at the end of the day whatever they chose would be 50... if what we know as 0 they had wanted as default, it would have been labeled 50 and we'd be able to go even slower

ratings themselves mean nothing... Madden could have made every rating within 5 of each other, if each change of 1 was the equivalent of the current systems change of 20 then it would be exactly the same (albeit with less exact detail, but the differences would be there)

what is going on "behind the scenes" is what is important, the actual scale isnt
I'm pretty sure that isn't the case for the speed threshold setting, although normally I'd be inclined to agree.

All the speed threshold seems to say is that:

"Ok, player x, y, z are rated at 45, 55, and 70"

If speed threshold = 60

then player x, y speed = 60, 60

Player z receives no advantage nor direct disadvantage from the threshold because his speed is 10 points above the threshold already.

I figured that out after just kinda of paying attention to certain offensive and defensive lines... I cranked it up to 80 just to test and see, and low and behold, you almost couldn't tell any difference at all between the speeds of the lineman and the linebackers. Put it at 70 or so and it was still obvious that most of the linemen were all the same speed. Most linebackers were slightly faster.

Then at 60 everything seemed to separate nicely, and that's where I decided to stick.

Most of the lineman are about the same speed, while the linebackers are noticeably faster, and its obvious that the CBs, WRs, and RBs are the fastest players on the field.

The only negative effect seems to be that the linemen are too fast for alot of the QBs. Ever since I raised my speed threshold to 60 I've been getting 3-8 sacks/game. Which is definitely more realistic than what I was getting (well, considering the Steelers ratings are really from their efforts last season, cause this season is relatively been a bust).

Last edited by Poetique; 10-04-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetique
"Ok, player x, y, z are rated at 45, 55, and 70"

If speed threshold = 60

then player x, y speed = 60, 60
I don't think the threshold changes the speed to whatever the threshold is.

That would mean that all players under 61 speed would run at the same speed, and I don't think that's true?

Would a player with a 10 speed and a 59 speed actually run at the same speed at 60 threshold?

In that case, a lower number would definitely be more realistic. Either 0 or something closer to the lowest speed rating in the game.

But the description mention low making the biggest difference between speed and others have tested that the fast guys are "too fast" with the threshold at 0 - so it's not just saying the "minimum allowed speed is a 0 rating" but it's also jacking up the 90+ guys even faster.

Likewise at 65 - the faster guys slow down and the slower guys speed up. It seems that it's not really altering ratings, but the speed those ratings run at - but 50 is still faster than 40 even under a 65 threshold.

It's like each speed point below and above x (whatever the "base" speed value is) and that's what the threshold is impacting - either how much each SPD point from the "base" is worth, or what the "base" speed is for this calculation.

Last edited by KBLover; 10-04-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #21
gtm
M*t*l F*r*v*r

gtm's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBledsoe
Anyways, I just reckon threshold at 75 plays a better game, that's all.
I agree with DB. I'm still tweaking my sliders but have my threshold at 80, slow game speed.

CLICK ME==> NY Mets Dynasty Page

I'm the only person on the planet that says sports games AI should be tested in cpu/cpu mode

U.S. Navy Veteran (Disabled Vet)

"Life, Liberty, And Pursuit Of All Who Threaten It"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I don't think the threshold changes the speed to whatever the threshold is.

That would mean that all players under 61 speed would run at the same speed, and I don't think that's true?

Would a player with a 10 speed and a 59 speed actually run at the same speed at 60 threshold?

In that case, a lower number would definitely be more realistic. Either 0 or something closer to the lowest speed rating in the game.

But the description mention low making the biggest difference between speed and others have tested that the fast guys are "too fast" with the threshold at 0 - so it's not just saying the "minimum allowed speed is a 0 rating" but it's also jacking up the 90+ guys even faster.

Likewise at 65 - the faster guys slow down and the slower guys speed up. It seems that it's not really altering ratings, but the speed those ratings run at - but 50 is still faster than 40 even under a 65 threshold.

It's like each speed point below and above x (whatever the "base" speed value is) and that's what the threshold is impacting - either how much each SPD point from the "base" is worth, or what the "base" speed is for this calculation.
The speed threshold doesn't slow anyone down though. It is directly a speed additive, and never a subtractive. Put your threshold on 100, take your DT and blitz off the edge. Then take a CB, do the same. You'll notice there's almost no difference in speed. In fact that only difference comes from accelerations. Top end, they have the same speed.

Certain players seemingly being "faster" with a lower speed threshold is a pure placebo effect. They're not faster, it's just that slower players are slower, or rather, they will be as slow as their speed rating says they are.

Or take 2 WRs and send them on streaks. Depending on their difference in acceleration, they'll be an equal distance from each other on the same yard line, barring any defense interference of course.

Or scramble with the QB, and assuming you don't take a bad angle, no one behind you will be able to catch you, nor will you be able to outrun anyone.

Or watch the kickoff return line. After the players get a certain distant apart from each other (due to when they start running, angle taken, and acceleration), they eventually run the exact same speed toward the receiving team. I suspect eventually fatigue will play some roll, although I'm not sure if fatigue will actually reduce speed, even if the threshold is 100, or if it'll simply effect their acceleration, and consequently, their speed in relevance to other players.

There are plenty of other ways to test it... but all the same result. At 100 speed threshold the only difference in speed comes from acceleration.

Not to mention if you have a high acceleration player, if you come off the line when the ball is snapped you can pretty much nano from anywhere in between the marks, including off the edge.

And you're right. A lower number is more realistic. But because of a poor ratings system and bad A.I., higher thresholds produce more realistic stats.

Edit: Just did a little more testing. Fatigue still has an effect. I just got a breakaway run, and no one could catch me except the one player on the field with a higher stamina rating than my running back, despite the fact my running back was the faster player by speed rating.

Last edited by Poetique; 10-04-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

So the threshold impacts the top-end speed and 100 means there's no difference while 0 means all differences are maximized?

Hmm...I'm thinking I'm getting it.

BTW, I need to start scouting ACC better for my teams. Might explain some things.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
So the threshold impacts the top-end speed and 100 means there's no difference while 0 means all differences are maximized?

Hmm...I'm thinking I'm getting it.

BTW, I need to start scouting ACC better for my teams. Might explain some things.
That's what I've gathered from it.

Which could also mean a setting of "0" is practically pointless. Anything lower than the slowest players in the game and it wouldn't have any effect.

UNLESS it effects how fatigue acts upon speed, which it very well could, but I'm entirely too lazy to test something so pointless... nobody with such a speed rating would play a position where speed meant anything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »