Home

Slider research

This is a discussion on Slider research within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Slider research

Please tell me if someone did this already and where I can find it. I'm going to do research in practice mode on some of (If not all) of the sliders for user and cpu.
Please, by all means, test my results yourself and see if we get the same results...it's important to replicate results in alternate studies.

I'll post each finding with details as I do them.
Feel free to add your own two cents.

Oh yeah I'm on PS3 if that makes a difference in slider settings.

Last edited by mjhyankees; 01-19-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Slider research

Pisssseeeeddddddd!!!! I wrote this big long thing and the damn website had logged me out for some reason and it didn't save...aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh.....
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
Pisssseeeeddddddd!!!! I wrote this big long thing and the damn website had logged me out for some reason and it didn't save...aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh.....
Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
MVP

Fist....you'll get yours!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
MVP

Ok, I'm going to try this again and hope it doesn't get erased.

I went into practice mode, offense only. I called a play with a streak pattern to my right side WR. I use the strongest armed QB in Madden (Cutler thp 97) and the weakest (Pennington 69 thp) I also did Eli Manning (thp 90), Sorgi (thp79) and the other Giants QB (forget his name) who had a thp of 84 (was it Rosenfels???).
I first put the QB acc at 100. Then at 0. Then I started going up by 5 until I got to 20 when I started going by 10 because I wasn't seeing a difference. I let the receiver get way down field because I wanted to see my max throw (if I hit him at 50 yards, I don't know how much farther I could throw the ball, ya see).
Here's all the things I observed:
1. Cutler consistently threw the ball 70+ yards.
2. Pennington got 50+. Eli was 65+, Sorgie just under 60 and the other guy just over 60.
3. The WR did not catch every pass. I was amazed to find that he just stood there sometimes and made no effort for the ball. Other times I hit him in the back. He usually made the catch but I had the distinct impression that at 0 he made less effort, or less consistently caught the ball.
4. From 20-100 on the slider I saw little or no difference. Cutler was able to make his throw to the streak pattern keeping the ball to the right of the numbers. It varied from hitting the guy in line, to having the ball go to his left, near the number. From 10-15 I noticed that throws were now fairly often going to the left of the numbers. I'd have some on target but most were on the numbers and to the left.
5. At 0, the passes ended up being post patterns. I'd throw a streak but the ball would end up somewhere between the middle of the field and the numbers.
6. I tried to throw from a standing position and by moving forward a step or two before I threw. "Stepping into the throw" seemed to make no difference.

I concluded that 10-15 seemed the best range. You got some accurate throws deep and some slightly off line which seems realistic to me. IN addition there seemed to be only a slight difference from this range to the sliders at 100. MORe later. OH yeah...I couldn't do this with the cpu because you couldn't do offense only it would have to be against a defense.
With the cpu I had him throw the "verticals" play (I figured it would force him to throw deep). At 25 he seemed to do the same as I did at 10-15. When I lowered him to 10, he was slightly more off. I'm wondering if having his acc at 25 and maybe lowering the wr catch to 15 or 10 would be more realistic. I'll see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
MVP

Ok regarding pass rush and pass block. I set up the cpu on offense had him run the verticals play (so that he'd stay in the pocket longer to make a deep throw) and set my defense in a dime cover 3 (so there were 4 pass rushers).
I found that with the cpu pass block slider at 0 and my pass rush at 25 the cpu had close to 4 seconds or more to throw the ball. ON about 30% of the plays he got hit at the 3 second mark.
At 0 pass rush for human he had 5-6 seconds. I raised it by 5 until I got to 25 and my current results. I'm reluctant to make my slider for this higher (due to all madden requiring me to stay at total 75 for the pass defense slider. I dont' want to lower the reaction or int right now, maybe I will) so I'll live with it like this. Later on I played the Giants vs the Falcons (cpu) and I sacked Ryan 2x, and hit him about 4-5 other times in 30 pass attempts.....that's close enough for rock and roll iMO....I'll leave it there for now.
In the practice session I now changed the play (forgot which one but one that had deep, middle and short passing options. I kept track of the completion % of the cpu (I controlled no one on D) and adjusted sliders.
I found that at 20 qb acc and 20 catch the cpu was completing 75% of his passes. At 15 and 15 he was around 70% and at 10 and 10 60-65%. My pass D sliders were 25 pass rush 15 int. and 35 reaction. I had only 2 picks in about 75-80 attempts so I may need to raise int to 20 and lower reaction to 30.
In my Giants game, at 10 and 10 with 0 pass blocking, Ryan was barely over 50% so I bumped it to 15 and 15 and played again. He was closer to 60%, I bumped the wr catch to 20 and I'll try that tonight.

Last edited by mjhyankees; 01-20-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
MVP

Observatons of game play...with the cpu QB acc and wr catch lower it seemed my Db's covered better (probably a function of less precise patterns by the WR). Throws over 10 yards were more likely to be closely defended while guys were still getting wide open underneath while I'm in a zone. That seemed good to me.
I will probably test the running game next. My running sliders and the cpu run defense are yielding 4-5 yards a carry for me with Bradshaw and Jacobs. The cpu which had been doing the same suddenly took a nose time the last two games...don't know why. It seems that the difference between human tackle at 35 and at 40 is huge (btk for cpu is at 5). At 35 he breaks tackles left and right. At 40 he sometimes will break one which seems real but I saw Michael Turner taken down by CB and S way too easily iMO....I'm going to try 37-38 and see if that helps.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
MVP

Anyone have ideas about having the QB acc higher than the WR catch??:?
I'm wondering (and will try) if having the patterns less precise (and therefore better covered) and a few dropped balls will be more realistic than having the QB less accurate. To me it may be the difference in incomplete passes coming on missed throws more or should they be more from batted balls by DB;s and a couple of drops???

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »