Home

Which sliders do what?????

This is a discussion on Which sliders do what????? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Which sliders do what?????

I thought it would be a good idea to consolidate all our findings in one thread. So many people have been working with sliders and made different discoveries. Knowing what each slider does can help us regulate sliders.

Example: I am having a problem where my yards per play for the cpu are way over NFL average (which is 4-6)..I'm getting 8 and 9 even for "weak" offensive games. What slider(s) do I change so as not to upset the otherwise good stats I'm getting (yards, sacks, completion % etc are pretty much spot on)? If I knew which slider(s) would affect the cpu completing balls farther downfield I could make a quick adjustment and be set. I realize my question may not have a simple answer but maybe it could be made easier.
Next post I'll list what I've learned about sliders. All others please contribute....we'll all benefit.

Last edited by mjhyankees; 02-09-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Which sliders do what?????

For starters I play on all madden which I realize will affect sliders somewhat but here's what I've either discovered or have been told by others.

QB acc: Controls "on target" aspect of passing. I'm also told it affects QB awareness ie. "intelligence". High Acc leads to better decisions.

WR catch: controls the ability to "catch" the ball AND the ability to run good routes...almost like a WR awareness. Lower this and completion percentage goes down even with good qB's because receivers are less likely to get open or catch the ball. May also affect DB's

Pass block: Does what it says, although there's some debate about how low you can put it. I would guess there's also an "awareness" element too. High Pass block would make lines better at picking up stunts and blitzes.

Run Block: same idea as pass block but for running.

Breat tackle:...again pretty straightforward

fumbles: again pretty straightforward (although i don't know why this slider is needed. Guys could just be programmed to fumble as often as they do in real life in terms of carries per fumble).

Run Reaction: I'm a little confused between this and the block shed as what the effects are. I know what the names mean but does run reaction affect the D line? Does it affect the whole D? So that on a run play with high reaction the D swarms to the ball? The latter is my belief. Which slider affects the suction block?

Block shed: Would seem to be the ability to play off a block. Some have this real low with little affect. Does it affect run and pass. Because I see a big gap in how quickly lineman shed blocks on run plays vs pass plays.

Tackles: pretty straight forward, although I wonder if higher numbers also help your guy "get in position" better, or is it strictly the contact and bringing the guy down?

Interceptions: Not only the ability to catch the ball (and I think WR catch may factor in here) but to be in position to bat balls, make "timed burps" on the WR etc.

Pass reaction: Would seem to be the ability to "react" to the pass, ie. get in position but int slider would seem to do that.

Pass rush. I've got mine set at 1 and still get the NFL average for sacks (i have cpu pass block kind of low too)...problem is when I dont' sack him he has all day to throw. I wonder if raising the pass rush would get more hits and hurries without upping the sack numbers????

what y'all think?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
MVP

Question for Fist, Jarrod, Steel and all you other slider gurus:

If the cpu is completing too many passes downfield (alot of 20-25 yarders) what can I do to get better coverage downfield? I have 42-32-1 right now on Pass D...should I raise reaction and lower int or vice versa?

Also, the cpu often completes a ball over the middle between my two LB's....that's fine except that he cuts and gets up field so quick that my backers can't make a play and invariably turns an 8 yard gain into a 15-20 yarder. I mean there are times I see him, control the MLB start running after him am a step behind but he catches the ball, immediately turns and accelerates out of reach. Any thoughts on sliders for this...note threshold is at 30....I had it at 0 and the problem was worse. I got as high as 35 and found that I was starting having trouble running down his slow guys.

Last edited by mjhyankees; 02-09-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees

If the cpu is completing too many passes downfield (alot of 20-25 yarders) what can I do to get better coverage downfield? I have 42-32-1 right now on Pass D...should I raise reaction and lower int or vice versa?

Also, the cpu often completes a ball over the middle between my two LB's....that's fine except that he cuts and gets up field so quick that my backers can't make a play and invariably turns an 8 yard gain into a 15-20 yarder. I mean there are times I see him, control the MLB start running after him am a step behind but he catches the ball, immediately turns and accelerates out of reach. Any thoughts on sliders for this...note threshold is at 30....I had it at 0 and the problem was worse. I got as high as 35 and found that I was starting having trouble running down his slow guys.
A few notes, I play with threshold at 50 otherwise the speed guys such as a WR on a LB have way too much of an advantage.

The tackle slider effects the ability to get in position to make the tackle as well as making the tackle.

The reaction slider effects how quickly the defense recognizes the play. This is why you will see that wityh high reactiion, you can lower the block shedding to seemingly little effect because the AI players recognize the play so interior running especially can become more difficult. Same with tackling to an extent, crank this up and the interior linemen will be able to get into position and reach out and grab the RB and bring him down.

To lower the amount of long AI passing attempts, raise the Acc slider. The AI is smarter and will usually throw the the most open reciver which is usually a shorter route.

To be honest, I pretty much play play now and can't settle on a slider set. I have fun though, but I often change my sliders around after a few games. You can get the same results by using alot of different ratios of sliders.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:

Like I said before.. Fist was the one who realized raising the CPUs accuracy cuts down on him throwing the deep ball all the time.. I wouldn't know because I have both the Accuracy and Catching on 100 and I get a little bit of both.

I'm not having that trouble at all with the CPU turning something small into something big. It happens once in a while but not like your experiencing.. I can't really tell you what you need to do. I have 0 rush reaction and that doesn't happen to me often. From looking at your sliders it seems like that shouldn't be happening but I don't know.. I have 0 threshold also..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Pro

steelcityjames's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

IMO it's not only the coverage scheme , but i think defensive assignments are VERY important. the higher the cpu qb acc slider is, the smarter the cpu qb plays. so it is important to make sure you have assigned the proper matchups. make sure your #1 cb is covering their #1 wr. if they have a fast rb, assign your fastest lb to cover him in man coverage.... same with the te. mixing up coverages is important. zone, man, blitz, show blitz but drop back,etc etc.... but i believe defensive assignments are equally important. i still have cpu qb acc at 40, wr catch at 25... i have hum pass D set to all-madden. i get VERY realistic gameplay and stats. i believe having cpu wr catch & my pass D reaction equal (25) causes a balance in play.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
A few notes, I play with threshold at 50 otherwise the speed guys such as a WR on a LB have way too much of an advantage.

The tackle slider effects the ability to get in position to make the tackle as well as making the tackle.

The reaction slider effects how quickly the defense recognizes the play. This is why you will see that wityh high reactiion, you can lower the block shedding to seemingly little effect because the AI players recognize the play so interior running especially can become more difficult. Same with tackling to an extent, crank this up and the interior linemen will be able to get into position and reach out and grab the RB and bring him down.

To lower the amount of long AI passing attempts, raise the Acc slider. The AI is smarter and will usually throw the the most open reciver which is usually a shorter route.

To be honest, I pretty much play play now and can't settle on a slider set. I have fun though, but I often change my sliders around after a few games. You can get the same results by using alot of different ratios of sliders.

Fist is pretty much spot on with this.. Thats my whole reason for having my CPU rush reaction on a 100.. I need the CPU to be able to react quick on Kickoffs and outside running or else its too easy to run kickoffs back and kill the CPU with outside runs.. Some people say running inside becomes to hard but you can find your balance somewhere with the USER runblocking and breaktackles to get a run game going.

In my opinion CPU is too easy with any thing less then a 100 for both pass reaction and rush reaction. There's too many things you can exploit at anything lower. Then you have to start using too many house rules just to have fun against the CPU. I like to be able to use all features..
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
. There's too many things you can exploit at anything lower. Then you have to start using too many house rules just to have fun against the CPU. I like to be able to use all features..
i second that, like Becky said on the Little Giants movie "i just wanna play"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »