Home

Tips on how to limit big plays?

This is a discussion on Tips on how to limit big plays? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Tips on how to limit big plays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot2873
Sorry for my inability to respond, I've been out with the family this past weekend.

I can't get you my sliders just yet, but they are based on your (mjhyankees) sliders. I upped the int and pass reaction by 5 for the CPU, then played the Bills who I beat 31-30, though my last pass play which resulted in like a 55 yd touchdown hail marry really shouldn't have happened because they had the ball with like a minute thirty to go, and I was out of time outs so I just super simmed cus I was in a bit of a rush. In super sim, they don't just run out the clock, so I got the ball back and somehow scored a touchdown.

I should also note, I had two kickoffs returned for touchdowns, with my other two touchdowns coming on like 50+ yd throws. (Tebow only completed like 11 passes after coming in for an injured Orton in the 2nd quarter. Moreno had 14 carries for like 60 yards, but fumbled twice.

Bills had several really big plays against my pass defense when I played cover 2 and couldn't get an ounce of pressure. Three deep routes left Evans wide open on the outside due to a slot post route which drew the safety in. I'm off to play another game and see what I can do. However the upper twenties to low 30s is consistant with the scores I've been getting, and really wanna have the majority of scores around the low to mid twenties. Don't mind if I have the big shoot outs, just don't want them to be the average score and make my 2nd worst Broncos having an offense rivaling the 2007 Patriots.

I have to get a look at your sliders set and I can help you tone down the scoring based of your own set.. But just from guessing you probably wanna raise some of the CPU pass defensive settings to make it tougher on you to score and lower some of the USER sliders too like the accuracy and pass block to make it harder to score. Even though I'm always against lowering the CPU passing you might need to do that also to limit there big plays.. But post your set whenever you get a chance. I can help you tweak them some..
Old 07-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0

For people who are really trying to replicate the NFL experience, they might study what is the balance of penalties per game, long and short runs and passes per game (either by observation or looking up statistics), and adjust minutes per quarter, AI settings and penalty settings to get the plays per game, scoring, punts, and player stats that resemble realistic data from the real NFL.

It is very possible to find this balance, with Madden 11 far more than any previous one I've played, and I actually have to use 15 minute quarters to get the appropriate plays per game (15 second runoff), and I tweaked the AI settings to get the variety of run and pass that yields realistic completion percentages and ypc average. Without proper penalty settings, this may yield less punts and too much scoring, but that's where penalties (and turnovers) come in.

In the real NFL, scores would be higher if there were less mistakes (penalties and turnovers). If you look close enough at the NFL, you will see that these things cause teams to get out of scoring range, and players can have a 1st or 2nd and 20, or 3rd and long due to penalties on the drive, have a good pass completion percentage or running, and still end up time and again at 4th and 3, 5, 10, etc, and have to punt or settle for a field goal, when if penalties were too infrequent, they would have continued the drive and likely scored a TD.

On All-Pro, with tweaked pass reaction settings (and a few other minor tweaks), you can make it really challenging for yourself. I personally think All-Madden makes players have unrealistic capabilities to the real physics and body mechanics of the game.

When tweaking AI settings, also keep an eye on if your game has enough occasional dropped passes when open, fumbles, etc, and tweak AI slightly accordingly. And you should occasionally be able to have a very big play, as they do happen on any given run or pass play in the real NFL.

Finally, keep in mind that increasing the pass rush ability and run blocking ability makes for more dog fights in the trenchs. You may get more holding penalties without increasing the Holding penalty setting. Yes, as for penalties, we only get holding, clipping and facemask, unfortunately, so those are the drive stopper or affecting penalties that we have to tweak a little till we find a balance of not too little or much, but it can work.

Long post for those who really get into the details and intricacies of replicating the real game in Madden.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethimin
For people who are really trying to replicate the NFL experience, they might study what is the balance of penalties per game, long and short runs and passes per game (either by observation or looking up statistics), and adjust minutes per quarter, AI settings and penalty settings to get the plays per game, scoring, punts, and player stats that resemble realistic data from the real NFL.

It is very possible to find this balance, with Madden 11 far more than any previous one I've played, and I actually have to use 15 minute quarters to get the appropriate plays per game (15 second runoff), and I tweaked the AI settings to get the variety of run and pass that yields realistic completion percentages and ypc average. Without proper penalty settings, this may yield less punts and too much scoring, but that's where penalties (and turnovers) come in.

In the real NFL, scores would be higher if there were less mistakes (penalties and turnovers). If you look close enough at the NFL, you will see that these things cause teams to get out of scoring range, and players can have a 1st or 2nd and 20, or 3rd and long due to penalties on the drive, have a good pass completion percentage or running, and still end up time and again at 4th and 3, 5, 10, etc, and have to punt or settle for a field goal, when if penalties were too infrequent, they would have continued the drive and likely scored a TD.

On All-Pro, with tweaked pass reaction settings (and a few other minor tweaks), you can make it really challenging for yourself. I personally think All-Madden makes players have unrealistic capabilities to the real physics and body mechanics of the game.

When tweaking AI settings, also keep an eye on if your game has enough occasional dropped passes when open, fumbles, etc, and tweak AI slightly accordingly. And you should occasionally be able to have a very big play, as they do happen on any given run or pass play in the real NFL.

Finally, keep in mind that increasing the pass rush ability and run blocking ability makes for more dog fights in the trenchs. You may get more holding penalties without increasing the Holding penalty setting. Yes, as for penalties, we only get holding, clipping and facemask, unfortunately, so those are the drive stopper or affecting penalties that we have to tweak a little till we find a balance of not too little or much, but it can work.

Long post for those who really get into the details and intricacies of replicating the real game in Madden.
You say a lot of good things but this right here is not going to work for a lot of us.. All-Pro presents no challenge for most experienced players even with all the CPU sliders jacked up to 100. Lots of guys say all-madden makes players have unrealistic capabilities but the same can be said about all-pro giving the CPU an unrealistic decrease in there capabilities. The AI takes a major hit on All-pro regardless of sliders and results in a huge blowouts with super high scoring from the USER and a ridiculous amount of yards per game. Best thing to do is put together a set of all-madden sliders to cut the BS yet keep the game challenging for yourself because everyone's skill level isn't the same.

Last edited by Jarodd21; 07-03-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
You say a lot of good things but this right here is not going to work for a lot of us.. All-Pro presents not challenge for most experienced players even with all the CPU sliders jacked up to 100.
This.

You can tell me whatever you want, give me any team against any other team, and I will destroy them on All-Pro. Not just defeat them, not challenge them, I will destroy them. I can guarantee you I'll go 16-0 in a franchise with any team on All-Pro, unless I houserule the game into oblivion up to the point where I can just use Gameflow and Coach Mode and let the CPU play for me. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's not what I'm looking for when I play Madden.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
You say a lot of good things but this right here is not going to work for a lot of us.. All-Pro presents not challenge for most experienced players even with all the CPU sliders jacked up to 100. Lots of guys say all-madden makes players have unrealistic capabilities but the same can be said about all-pro giving the CPU an unrealistic decrease in there capabilities. The AI takes a major hit on All-pro regardless of sliders and results in a huge blowouts with super high scoring from the USER and a ridiculous amount of yards per game. Best thing to do is put together a set of all-madden sliders to cut the BS yet keep the game challenging for yourself because everyone's skill level isn't the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
This.

You can tell me whatever you want, give me any team against any other team, and I will destroy them on All-Pro. Not just defeat them, not challenge them, I will destroy them. I can guarantee you I'll go 16-0 in a franchise with any team on All-Pro, unless I houserule the game into oblivion up to the point where I can just use Gameflow and Coach Mode and let the CPU play for me. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's not what I'm looking for when I play Madden.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtguru

yeah..ditto all this...I may add like Delta...I think I'd go 16-0 with anyone on ALL MADDEN let alone all pro. Well maybe I'd blow a few games but not many unless I got real careless. I play regular all madden when i play my nephews etc and I not only always win but usually rack up 400-500 yards of offense per game....it's just way too easy. My own sliders are starting to seem easy now as well....

Listen if all pro works for you for whatever reason that's great...i don't see this as an ego thing and could care less about being "good" at it...I just want to be challenged.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »