Home

Big discovery for CPU vs CPU users! MUST READ!!!

This is a discussion on Big discovery for CPU vs CPU users! MUST READ!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Big discovery for CPU vs CPU users! MUST READ!!!

UPDATE! 9/30/11

I have a very substantial slider setting and game option setting that I think I'm going to settle on. If anything, IMO, this is a great arena to start out at and then adjust from here what you see fit. Personally, I think a lot of you will truly enjoy what I've seen.

Here are the settings and sliders.

Before anyone gets bent out of shape regarding sacks, I'm still seeing a decent amount. Not a ridiculous amount with these but the way I have these sliders, you almost have to accept them this way otherwise, you'll bust the running game wide open. Significantly reducing pass rush has a major impact on this. Sure, you can adjust run blocking, broken tackles and running ability but lets be honest... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm getting amazingly good numbers all around with these. You may not agree and make some adjustments. Either way, here is at least a very good start. I really like what I'm seeing with these and I'm planning on staying with these with very little adjusting if any at all.

For those of you unsure of what to do, here is how to do everything.

At the main menu after Xbox is turned on...

1. Go to my madden/my settings/game options

Offensive and defensive playbooks are team specific.

Put the skill level at All Pro.

Conventional playcall style.

12 min. Quarters.

Coaching tips Off

Play Clock On

Strategy Pad Off

Coordinator Audio Off

Coordinator Subtitles Off

Accelerated Clock Off (Will still show up in franchise. Can't prevent it)

Camera Settings Broadcast

Auto Strafe On

Auto Sprint On

Injuries 0 (for the sake of testing star starters stats)

Fatigue 50

Game Speed Normal

Player Min. Speed Threshold 50

Coach Mode On

2. Penalties = Default 50

3. Player Skill = Honestly, I don't truly think you have to match these sliders with the cpu since you're not playing but you need the cpu to understand what you want it to do with the sliders you give it. I went ahead and matched these sliders with my cpu sliders just out of sheer habit. Its up to you. I personally don't believe you need to do this but if you're anal about things like I am, I suggest it.

With that said, both player skill and computer skill sliders are...

Everything at 50 except for...

Pass Blocking 100

Fumbles 80

Interceptions 0

Pass Rushing 35

4. Special teams = Default 50

5. Visual Feedback

Pre-snap Menu Off

In-Game Hints Off

Player Names Off

Strategy Pad Display Off

Once you finish with this, save all by pressing the back button.

Make sure you have the latest roster update and save.

Now, load an existing franchise or IMO, since you haven't had the best games on a consistent basis until now, and you may have just downloaded the latest roster, start a new one. I've used one test franchise to pin this down and was always planning on starting over with my owned team.

Once you set your franchise up the way you want, injuries optional to see about stats for star players flesh out, sim or watch your pre-season games.

If you choose to watch in the pre-season to evaluate your talent or if you prefer to sim the pre-season and get right into the meat and potatoes of it all, do this. Its absolutely imperative that you do.

When you select your game to be viewed, make sure the controller you're using with the user profile you've saved with all of those settings, is on a team at the team select button when you begin the game.

When the intro runs and you have to either kick or receive the kickoff, press pause after the ball is kicked. Doesn't matter if you kicked it or are returning it, when the ball is in mid air and go to controller select and now and only now should you place the controller in the middle.

Press A to accept this change and A again to resume game.

What just happened is, at game start up, the cpu is forced to believe you're playing against it and has to take into account the sliders you gave it based on how you want it to perform against you physically. Since the team you started with the controller on was initially thinking it would be playing the cpu, it has no other choice but to take on the cpu sliders you gave and the opposing team that you didn't select was already locked in to play like.

Ultimately what you'll get off of these sliders until you make your adjustments to turnovers, are...

Very good rushing numbers.

Very good passing numbers.

Sacks can be a tiny bit high but not as bad as before.

Almost no interceptions but I have seen 2 games out of 31 where there have been 2 in those.

Almost no fumbles but I left this up to you to decide what you want to see in terms of interceptions and fumbles. I just made sure I came up with a trick to defeat the dreaded turnover (mostly due to interceptions) plague this game suffers from when starting the game with the controller in the middle and not on a team no matter what you do to the sliders. You can change and change and change the sliders after starting the game with the controller in the middle but the computer no doubt plays from its own mindset, not the slider set you gave it.

I hope this helps and you can make your own adjustments off of this.

I'm seeing at least 1 qb getting around 250 to 350 a game. Not both.

I"m seeing at least 1 running back get close and sometimes over 100 yards. Not both.

To me, that is huge in itself. Plus the fact that turnovers have a major leash on them.

You'll see teams lose that had many chances to win just like in real life. You'll see close field goal kicking games and sometimes a blow out. More often than not, you'll flat out see the better team take care of lesser competition.

Good luck!"

9/27/11
To all,

First and foremost let me announce that I too am an avid computer versus computer player and have been for a great many years now. I haven't posted a thing on here since 2005 due to an abundant of disappointing releases from the Madden development team. I read many different observations by lots of you over all of these years and I've tested your theories. I've seen just about all of it from tinkering feverishly with sliders, to editing individual player ratings to mimic real life game simulations, all the way up to controlling all 32 teams, and altering coaching schemes. Every now and again, those things worked but not consistently. That has been the detriment to this game and all of us Cpu vs Cpu guys know it!

So, like all of you, upon purchasing this game I've spent countless, countless hours testing, tweaking and altering. I went from trying to focus on the entire spectrum of the game to just individual aspects. I've moved sliders all the way to 100 and all the way to 0 and I've found that no matter where you move them, they seem to have a mind of their own. Or do they?

I'm telling you all, I've tried everything within the limit of availability to get these sliders to work but nothing has been successful. So then I decided to focus on just one aspect of the game that I wanted to see an impact from my slider decisions.

I decided this game has too many sacks and too many interceptions. NFL 2K5 happens to be one of my all time favorites but littered with interceptions and so I decided to just focus on correcting those and those alone to see if anything would work. Once again, just focusing on picks, I went from 50, to 25, to 0. Then read that the sliders may be inverted somewhere here. So I went 65, 75, 85 and then 100 and to my surprise, it didn't matter which way I went with this, the interceptions were there just the same at 100 and at 0. Sure, there were games were there were none or 1 or 2 but I'm telling you, 1 out of maybe 10 games if you were lucky saw this unique outcome.

I was just about done. Completely at my limit.

Then I switched to coach mode. I decided right off the bat to go with straight all pro 50 down the line on the sliders for player skill and cpu skill. But wait!!! Damn those int's. Nah, I thought, I'm moving those damn things to 0 and lets see what happens...

I've coached 10 straight games without a single pick in any of the 10. Not 1. Nothing!!!

So needless to say, I was pretty damn stoked about this find. So again, if you've been reading this novel, my sliders were set at all pro first, then I went to player skill and only took interception down to 0 and the same thing on cpu skill. Now the fumbles were out of control on 50 so I moved them up to 75 as it states, "Move this slider to the left to cause more fumble and to the right to reduce them". I'm guessing it was this slider that has caused mass confusion with the is it inverted or not theory or expedition.

After 4 games with no picks, I moved the fumble slider to 75 and there were about 1 or 2. Then around game 6 or 7 there were something like 4 fumbles in the first half. So, I've long since moved this up to 85 and they have been reduced.

At this point, it was quite shocking that, you mean to tell me I have the ability to treat INT's as an afterthought because I have actually discovered that yes, the sliders do work by knowing no picks will occur and I can now shift my attention to fumbles? As ridiculous as that question is, it is instrumental in this process of pinning down the right outcome to each person's liking.

I know this may be redundant by now to some of you but believe me, its necessary.

Once I completed my 10th coached game without a pick, I'm convinced the sliders do work. At least in coach mode, right? I was also convinced that no matter what happened, cpu vs cpu would probably be for another year.

Then it happened. I got to thinking about NFL 2K3 and how it had a optional broadcast camera but in NFL 2K4 it didn't as long as you controlled the team going into the game at the team select. Placing the controller in the middle would allow for the broadcast cam to be available but for some reason, unlike 2K3, 2K4 no longer had it in its camera options. It took me several months to discover that in coach mode on 2K4, if you left the controller in the middle and started the game and then switched the controller to your team after the kickoff, (while the ball is in the air) the broadcast camera was all of a sudden available. NFL 2K5 comes out and what do ya know? No optional broadcast camera in the camera selection but again, my trick worked.

Why am I telling you this? Because while watching a game on NFL 2K5, it hit me. "Why don't you try starting Madden with the controller on the team and after the kickoff, (while the ball is in the air) move the controller back to the middle. Just the opposite of what I did in NFL 2K4 and 2K5.

What I've discovered should please a great many of you feverishly trying to pin down the perfect sliders. I have watched 5 straight games after stating it with a controller on a team and them moved to the middle while the ball is kicked in the air and none of those games have seen an INT.

The sliders are just the same as what I was using on coach mode. All pro, 50 down the line except for interceptions at 0 and fumbles at 85.

I'm not suggesting these for the ideal set, just letting all of you know that if you want to fine tune sliders, you'll need to move what you see fit and start a game with the controller on a team and then move it to the middle after the ball has been kicked and in mid air if you want your sliders to materialize on the field of play during cpu vs cpu games. Now that I know this is what needs to happen, I wanted to accomplish 2 things. 1, get this to the community to you guys can finally have the solution to a long term problem with sliders and so that I can finally pin down the perfect min. per qtr, sliders to produce life like NFL stats per game and then let the franchise begin!

Some of you may be thinking that I don't want interceptions at all. Wrong. I do, just not at the rate I was getting them when putting the controller in the middle before starting the game.

Hopefully none of this is confusing to you guys but if anyone has any questions regarding my discovery, please feel free to ask, I'd love to help out!

Basically what's happening is the cpu doesn't take sliders into account if no user team is selected at the team select menu. It plays off of its own programming code and there isn't a damn thing you can do to stop it.

However, you can set and tweak your sliders to your liking, start a game with a user team controlled and then move it to the middle when the kickoff is in mid air to get the sliders to actually be accounted for. My guess is, the game is tricked into thinking a human is still playing and the sliders have to be acknowledged.

I hope everyone is happy to read this and I'll be in touch!

Last edited by ZWbullseye; 09-30-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Big discovery for CPU vs CPU users! MUST READ!!!

One other thing may be worth mentioning here. I'm not sure if there is much logic to this as I haven't been paying attention until the last 3 games. It seems the team the controller is on at the start may be the team that wins. I can't prove this for sure just yet as more testing needs to be done to rule this out but I'm almost certain the last 3 games have been away winners because that is the side the controller is on when the game is started. (Franchise mode)

Again, I can't prove this just yet but I'll be looking at it very closely. Fortunately there is a fix if that is the case though.

If this is the case, another profile will need to be made with the exact same settings as the first and the game started with both controllers on separate teams.

Stay tuned or test yourself!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

I've been doing this since Madden 11. The real reason that I started doing this was to take advantage of the GamePlanning feature, but I also came to somewhat of the same conclusion as you about the way that the CPU plays once a game is started under User control.

The problem becomes finding a balance between User and CPU sliders which doesn't outright favor one side. This is a difficult balancing act which is made harder every time that a Patch or Tuner comes out.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Rookie

Good to know!

I'm not sure of the balancing that will need to be done or what type of sliders will be best for the game to be "perfect" in any one persons opinion, but I am happy with knowing that sliders can be accounted for by starting the game with a controller on a team or teams.

As for the game planning part, I definitely don't know because I'm doing more of the owner type stuff. I just want to try and build my team up through the offseason's staying under the cap, dealing with injuries. Those types of things.

I'm not going to complicate the situation anymore than it already is by trying to be an owner/game planning coach. That sort of defeats the purpose of watching the games. Owners have very little to do with the way games play out. I say let the coach's game plan do its own thing that you sign in the offseason rather than try and manipulate the game any more than it needs to be from a "owner" perspective.

To each their own and hey, if it works for ya, awesome!

More than anything here, I just wanted to prove that sliders can and will work. Just had to find that work around.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Rookie

Also, if people already know about this in droves, by all means, let it be known I'm not taking credit for this. I did discover this on my own but not saying I'm the first to know. I just hadn't seen it mentioned in here regarding sliders. I've seen the bit about controlling all 32 teams and tweaking or altering coaching game plans but that's not for me.

Maybe this method worked last year. I have no idea to say for sure. What I do know is that I can once and for all put the debate away of whether or not sliders will be acknowledged in cpu vs cpu games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWbullseye
Also, if people already know about this in droves, by all means, let it be known I'm not taking credit for this. I did discover this on my own but not saying I'm the first to know. I just hadn't seen it mentioned in here regarding sliders. I've seen the bit about controlling all 32 teams and tweaking or altering coaching game plans but that's not for me.

Maybe this method worked last year. I have no idea to say for sure. What I do know is that I can once and for all put the debate away of whether or not sliders will be acknowledged in cpu vs cpu games.
I don't think people know about it in droves. I'm actually pretty sure that most of the CPU/CPU gamers on here don't use this approach.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I don't think people know about it in droves. I'm actually pretty sure that most of the CPU/CPU gamers on here don't use this approach.
Gotcha. Well, maybe they can read this and accomplish the perfect set of sliders now. At least, that's my hope anyway. I've read a ton of negative reaction towards sliders getting out of whack and doing strange things. Hopefully these gamers like you and I will read this and help discover an ideal set.

Sucks that the tuner or patches ruin so much of that balancing. I do see what you mean there. Again, I'm just glad that in regard to sliders, I was truly thinking there was nothing that could be done to stop this out of control interception fest. Now, I know there is!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Rookie

Started the last game, (first game of the season Franchise Mode) New Orleans @ Green Bay with the controller on New Orleans as that is where the controller is placed if you don't own one of these 2 teams in your Franchise and want to test other games from week 1. So, about my idea that what ever team the controller is on at the start ends up winning is disproved. Green Bay came from behind and won 20 -13.

There was 1 interception in the game which shocked me actually. 1 in 12 games viewed.

Here is the set up for those of you wanting to start fresh or who may like what you see here.

This may not be what you're looking for but if you're like me and just wanting to be sure that sliders are actually useful, try these out.

Place the difficulty on All Pro first and foremost. It will eventually change to "custom" after you make adjustments to the player/cpu skill.
14 min. quarters
Very Slow
All sliders @ 50 except fumbles at 85 and interceptions at 0 for both cpu skill and player skill.
Make sure you start the game with a controller on at least 1 team. Only move the controller to the middle after the ball has been kicked off and in mid air.

As I said, this has been a test using interception elimination as the target goal to see if my theory worked. 12 games in and only 1 interception thrown. If you want to see more interceptions, move it higher to your liking. I wouldn't move it a ton but adjust according to your preference.

Here are the stats from the last game.

Just the leaders worth mentioning.

Green Bay 20
New Orleans 13

Passing
Rodgers 26 of 42 for 302 yards 1 td 1 int
Brees 31 of 52 for 352 yards 1 td 0 int

Rushing
Sproles 24 att. for 113 yds 4.7 avg
Grant 15 att. for 45 yds 3.0 avg

Receiving
Colston 9 rec. 133 yds 1 td
Driver 8 rec. 117 yds 0 td

Defensive sacks (since that's an issue too)
GB 5 sacks
NO 3 sacks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »