Home

How to test sliders?

This is a discussion on How to test sliders? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Rookie

XNowOrNever85X's Arena

OVR: 0
How to test sliders?

How do you guys test your sliders?

I think I'm having a hard time creating my own, so I wanted to know if there was any tips or tricks that help when testing sliders.

Feedback please! Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: How to test sliders?

First is knowing what they impact. That way I know which one(s) to change when I see something suspect or outright wrong.

Once that's done, it's a matter of picking a starting point. That could be default (say default All-Pro) or it can be someone's set. I tyink I started from default All-Pro back in M10. My M12 sets started from what I did in M10.

After that, I play out some games, ideally with various teams or at least different types of players (I love fantasy drafting for this, I can focus on what kind of players I want and get some guys and combos I can't easily get in normal franchise mode, barring controlling 32 teams and then just trading a lot).

Once I've played some games and made observations, both of game play and production (stats, scores, and who's doing what), I start coming up with "why" for what I'm seeing. So if I'm throwing for 75% and 4 TDs just about every game, I try to see why I'm doing that well. Is it the CPU coverage is too bad? Too much time in the pocket (up pass rush)? Am I not being punished enough for mistakes (lower QB Acc/WR Catching)?

The answer to the "why" comes from game play. When I'm playing and looking for the "why", I try to see how the play is playing out.

Then I make changes. I try to follow the Rule of Double It or Cut It In Half (Sid Meier) or I try to split differences. Let's say I had a slider on 40 and that was too good. So I put it on 20, and now that's too weak. So next I'll try 30. From there, if it's too strong, 25 is next, too weak - then 35.

Of course, you can't double 60 - so for that, I'd just go to 100 and see. Then 80, then 70 or 90, 65 or 85, etc.

From there it's a lot of trial and error to see what I have and if it looks like I want it to look while still getting the production I want.

That's how I do it anyway. Just like with making sliders, there's tons of ways to test them.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
Rookie

XNowOrNever85X's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How to test sliders?

Thanks man for sharing I'll incorporate this stuff into my testing!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »