Home

How on Earth are you supposed to figure out sliders?

This is a discussion on How on Earth are you supposed to figure out sliders? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How on Earth are you supposed to figure out sliders?

When the series had My Skill, it was a blessing to me. Now I could let the CPU figure out the sliders, and I could just focus on playing.

But now, not only is it taken away, we now have a 100 point spread. And when it comes to sliders, there's no "magic number" that I need to look for. Is two interceptions in a half a sign I should lower the INT slider, or is it normal for my opponent to throw that many? Should I raise my offensive sliders when the opponent has the lead in yards 71-162, or does the opponent just have a better offense or defense?

It's just wrestling with where and how to figure out what to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Pro

Blue Ninja's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: How on Earth are you supposed to figure out sliders?

I usually have 4 games testing period. What it means is that I would play at least 4 games with a slider set, then look back and check the stats, rosters(my team and opponents). Then make adjustments in needed area and repeat over and over and over again lol its time consuming for sure.

But hearing people say sliders set I created save the game for them makes it worth it for me. Maybe I'm just a nice guy (doesnt mean im soft by any means) who likes to help people out(ones who deserve it of course )
M16 Sim Style Sliders by Blue Ninja
My Twitch Stream
Old 07-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
MVP

HC0023's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ninja
I usually have 4 games testing period. What it means is that I would play at least 4 games with a slider set, then look back and check the stats, rosters(my team and opponents). Then make adjustments in needed area and repeat over and over and over again lol its time consuming for sure.

But hearing people say sliders set I created save the game for them makes it worth it for me. Maybe I'm just a nice guy (doesnt mean im soft by any means) who likes to help people out(ones who deserve it of course )
YOU DA MAN
Old 07-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
MVP

Champion8877's Arena

OVR: 14

I recommend taking a well known and well liked slider set off of OS(like blue ninja, playmakers, or jarrods) and play a few games. After a couple of games make small adjustments as needed fo gef it realistic for you. Dont make adjustments until you have played atleast 3 games though, you need to play multiple games to.get the feel of the sliders before they begin to play good and realistic.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtra
But now, not only is it taken away, we now have a 100 point spread. And when it comes to sliders, there's no "magic number" that I need to look for. Is two interceptions in a half a sign I should lower the INT slider, or is it normal for my opponent to throw that many? Should I raise my offensive sliders when the opponent has the lead in yards 71-162, or does the opponent just have a better offense or defense?
How did the game play out? What are the abilities of the players involved? Those are my only questions.

Did the CPU just out-play me on the ground? My LBs were trying to fly around, the run blocking for the CPU wasn't godly, and the HB at least had some ability? Then I'd leave it for now and try to call a better game. If I can make adjustments, even if it means having to "gamble" a little or worry about the run more often, then I would think my sliders there are doing good. I might just need to get better players or a better scheme.

On the other hand, if it's just a bunch of long runs because the HB broke 6 tackles each time, then I might would address that. (Again, depends on player ability too - if it's Blount and my guys are tired - I probably don't do anything). If some scrub HB is putting up 5-6 yds/carry against my elite run defense, a flag goes up. If it happens constantly where my top level run D is giving up that kind of yards and it's not because of what I'm doing or having to respond to (I have to play pass a lot so I can't load up the box), I likely change it.

For INTs, if the CPU is constantly throwing 2 INT a game, even in an otherwise good day, I would likely address that, unless I have the most ballhawking secondary. If they are good at coverage but have a bunch of 50 CTH ratings, I probably lower it. Coverage does not have to equal INT.

But stats are just half the equation, especially over just a few games. I look at how the player behavior is responding on the field. LBs not attacking? I deal with it. Too many blown assignments in the secondary? I'll address that. Any old offensive line is manhandling my defense? I'll address it. My OL not sucking like they should in pass protection? I'll make them suck like they should.

For me, it's about player behavior and having ratings express differences in ability whenever possible at the end of the day.

Because of this approach, MySkill didn't really do a lot for me. One of the big problems is that it was just raw stats focused. If the CPU didn't run, the game assumed I was awesome against the run, not that the other team ran just 12 times for 48 yards (which is an average 4.0 per carry, not elite). MySkill was a good idea - it just needed much more considerations than just raw numbers, imo.

Last edited by KBLover; 08-03-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Rookie

sictransitchris's Arena

OVR: 0

I was just about to make this thread since I can't seem to find a slider set I can really compete with. Thanks for all the good tips everybody.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »