Home

Sliders explained

This is a discussion on Sliders explained within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Sliders explained

Is there a thread where the different sliders are explained?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Sliders explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXtrmntr
Is there a thread where the different sliders are explained?
Agree. Would like to see one or pointed in direction of where one may be, please.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

If you go into the settings area from the main menu, it will give a brief description of what the sliders do. There are however different theories on what exactly those sliders do in comparison, but I think a lot of it has to do more with individual play styles.

There is one slider that is backwards to what one would think, that is the injury slider. Set it higher for fewer and lower for more injuries.

Usually what I like to do is start with a base level, I pick All-pro. Then I play a bunch of games without moving any sliders. During this time, I look at replays (a lot of replays) and jot down what areas are not playing the way I want.

Once I start moving sliders, I usually go to an extreme on both ends, just to see how much of a difference there is from where it started. For the most part though, I move in small increments and then more play time and watching replays.

It can be time consuming but, once you start to know the effects it becomes easier to dial in settings to match your style and the kind of game you want.

Maybe try a few of the sets that others have offered, compare how the game plays from stock settings.

I know this is more vague than helpful, but it is more about trial and error.

Have fun!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Rookie

Well I do not have sliders explained in my post but I will gladly explain why it is I set my settings (including sliders) the way I did. Anyone can check them out if they'd like to. Just as the part of the title in my thread states..just read and you'll understand...
Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

OVR: 1

I think this is one area that needs more detailed discussion. Too often you see posters explaining their sliders or gameplay in vague, general terms, or describing the effects of sliders that are just not correct. These sliders obviously change the values of some equation in the game's coding, and I think it would be useful to people tinkering with these things to understand what exactly is being affected when they change these values.

While I'm aware that some believe sliders behave differently between different modes, I do not believe they influence different aspects of the game in different modes. For instance, one might believe that the Pass Block slider set at 50 in practice mode or offline CCM plays more like 25 in online CCM or Play Now. But I do not believe that the Pass Block slider adjusts anything other than pass blocking in practice, play now, or any CCM mode.

Because of that, I think it's beneficial to experiment with sliders in Practice mode just to determine what the sliders do and do not affect since that mode has the most control. Playing in games can introduce other factors into the gamplay besides sliders (such as the players' consistency traits, hot/cold streaks, fatigue) that can influence results. Plus, you have the benefit of running the exact plays repeatedly to see what trends show up. Determining what precise values to set those sliders to, however, can be something left to whatever mode one believes the sliders play properly on.

With that in mind, here's some of the things I've found.

QB ACC: Really doesn't seem to show much differentiation until you go below 10. That's about the threshold for seeing errant throws.

Pass Blocking: Not entirely sure what this does. It seems to make the offensive linemen hold their ground more if turned high and get pushed around more if turned low. Didn't really see defensive linemen breaking off blocks with much differentiation between high and low settings though. And it doesn't seem to affect whether or not blitzers are picked up.

Catching: Haven't messed with it much. There does seem to be good variation in catches and drops when the slider is adjusted. Not sure if it can create suction catching animations or not.

RB Break Tackling: When set high, you will see the RB breaking more tackles through special moves like stiff arms and juking. This appears to be different than when a RB breaks a tackle due to the Tackling slider being low, which looks more like defenders arm tackling and not wrapping up. Not sure if this slider affects the tackle breaking of other offensive positions as well.

Run blocking: This seems to improve or worsen the movement that the offensive line gets on the defensive line. When set high, you see a surge from your offensive line and sometimes a pancake. When set low, you don't see any surge, and defensive linemen appear to have an easier time shedding the block when the RB gets close.

Fumbles: Like the catching slider, haven't experimented much, but there does seem to be differentiation with the ball popping out more or less when this slider is moved.

Pass Reaction Time: This slider is likely backwards. Turning the slider lower appears to improve the reaction time of defenders when a WR makes a cut. The easiest way to see this is to pick man coverage versus a comeback route. With the slider is set lower, the defender will stop and turn a split second after the WR makes his break on the route. When set higher, the defender takes longer to react to the cut and the WR has greater separation. This test can work with outs and hitches as well. Ins are odd in that much of the time, defenders will break on these routes very quickly as opposed to outs or comebacks. Not sure if this slider affects zone coverage, and if it does, not sure what to look for.

Interceptions: Like the Catching slider. Does seem to affect whether DBs will catch or drop INTs. Not sure if it affects how aggressive or passive they are when going for an INT.

Pass Rushing: Unlike the Pass Blocking slider, this one seems to affect whether defensive linemen will break off blocks through some sort of rip or swim. Its' effect is most notable with DTs who tend to break off of blocks quicker when the slider is set high. The DEs are a different story though. There seems to be a glitch between the RT and LE where the LE is able to just push off the RT almost instantly and run around him for a sack. The RE is almost never able to do this. It doesn't seem to matter how good the RT is at pass blocking or how poor the LE is at pass rushing. Some plays just have the LE pushing off and around almost instantly. This does appear to be affected somewhat by the Pass Rush slider though, but it doesn't totally eliminate it even when turned down to 0.

Rush Defense Reaction Time: Not sure what this does. At first, it appeared to control how quickly blocked defenders would shed their block, but not by some type of block shed move like a rip or spin. They would just push off their block and run free when set high. But after further testing, I've seen results where it didn't appear to do that. I'm confused on this one. It doesn't seem to control their reaction time to draw plays or play actions, or toss or dive plays. The LBs and secondary all react the same. And it doesn't seem to affect their angles either. Toss plays to the outside have the LBs taking the same angles whether the slider is set low or high. Very confused by this one.

Block Shedding: This looks like it controls how well defenders can beat blocks by ripping or spinning off them. It also might affect how often defensive linemen who are getting double teamed sink the blockers (pull the blockers down to the ground with them). There seemed to be some differentiation when set low to high, but like the reaction time, I've seen conflicting results. One test I set reaction time and block shedding to 100 and then to 0 and could see very little difference. Another time I was clearly able to see differentiation when adjusted. Not sure why the difference.

Tackling: This slider controls how well defenders can tackle. When set low, many more arm tackles and slipped tackles show up as opposed to the stiff arms and jukes you see from a high RB Break Tackle slider. Not sure if this has any affect on big hit tackles.

This what I've come up with by trying to isolate certain aspects of the game in practice mode. Since many of these sliders overlap (like Pass Blocking and Pass Rushing), I thought it would be beneficial to nail down what specifically these sliders do instead of taking the approach that a 25 Pass Block/75 Pass Rush = 50 Pass Block/50 Pass Rush. With all the thousands of man hours being put into tweaking these things, hopefully we can get some good insight.

Last edited by WilesThing; 09-10-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10

Doing some testing of my own.

Game 1 Ravens @ 49ers

49ers Win 33-7

Ravens/49ers
Total Yards: 205/406
Pass Yards: 143/282
Rush Yards: 62/124

Sacks: 2/3
Turnovers: 3/1

Joe Flacco: 11-12 78 Yds 1TD
Tyrod Taylor: 13-26 88 Yds 2INT

Ray Rice: 16-48 Yds 3.0AVG
Bernard Pierce: 6-11 1.8AVG

Alex Smith: 20-28 287 Yds 3TD

Frank Gore: 18-80 4.4AVG*
Kendall Hunter: 8-12 1.5AVG 1TD

Both Flacco and Rice got injured and since then, it was a blow out.*

Game 2 Seahawks @ Bengals

Seahawks Win 17-10

Seahawks/Bengals
Total Yards: 290/290
Pass Yards: 159/219
Rush Yards: 131/71

Sacks: 0/4
Turnovers: 2/1

Russell Wilson: 17-26 182 Yds 2TD 2INT

Marshawn Lynch: 14-41 2.9AVG
Leon Washington: 11-39 3.5AVG
Robert Turbin: 7-36 5.1AVG

Andy Dalton: 15-28 219 Yds 1INT

B. Green-Ellis: 13-41 3.1AVG
Bernard Scott: 12-26 2.1AVG 1TD

I realized Ray Lewis wasn't injured, my auto-subs are too high on HB. Overall was a good game. Bengals controlled the first half but choked in the second with Andy Dalton only completing a handful of passes. Glad to see I can get low scoring & stats on high minutes.*

Game 3 Eagles @ Redskins

Eagles Win 17-16

Eagles/Redskins
Total Yards: 248/341
Pass Yards: 186/195
Rush Yards: 62/146

Sacks: 1/1
Turnovers: 0/3

Michael Vick: 13-24 197 Yds 1TD

LeSean McCoy: 20-25 1.2AVG
Dion Lewis: 4-11 2.7AVG
Michael Vick: 5-30 6AVG

RG3: 17-29 196 Yds 3INT

Alfred Morris: 19-45 2.3AVG
Evan Royster: 5-15 3AVG
RG3: 8-86 10.7AVG 1TD

Well, basically a match for 3rd place in the NFC East. We "Redskiningly" controlled the game until the end with RG3 throwing a pick six. Besides RG3, neither team could get a running game going. It was really fun because the stats seem like the game was horrible but each drive lasted forever on both teams. Great game.*
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10

Ray Rice*

[would be cool if Lewis was a HB though]
Old 08-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
Rookie

It looks like some of the sliders have changed in Madden 25. Has a consensus formed yet on how these new sliders affect game play?

When I was looking at Pass Coverage today it looked like it was 'backwards' much like Reaction Time was last year, against comeback routes the CBs stick to the WRs when it is at 0 but lag behind when at 100.

I don't notice any difference with the reaction time slider this year.

It looks like some of the old sliders might have been rolled into one, but I'm not sure. Maybe Pass Blocking and Pass Rushing, are not just under Pass Blocking this year, for example.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »