Home

Our Infatuation with Sliders!!

This is a discussion on Our Infatuation with Sliders!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Rookie

mikemck09's Arena

OVR: 1
Our Infatuation with Sliders!!

Whats up guys?

Every year we get a brand new Madden NFL game, each and every year it is nearly impossible to enjoy the game vs the CPU out of the box. So each and every year a ton of offline Franchise lovers test and go through hundreds of hours of using different slider sets or creating their own. I sit here 2 weeks into the NFL season without an active CCM due to the horrid CPU gameplay, I think back and wonder why the hell did we all pay 65 bucks for a game that we actually have to work on to improve. We are all doing the job that EA should have completed. We dont even have working sliders, I mean come on. When will we wake up and notice the bullshirt. Would you take your car to the shop to get new tires installed but you personally had to fill em up and screw em in, on top of that pay full price for the labor? Absolutely not, but we sit here and try to fix the broken CPU year after year after year. When was the last Madden that was playable and realistic out of the box. Rookie gets annihilated as well as Pro and All Pro, then you have All Madden that is ridiculously unrealistic... Its just not right to the consumer to put in all of this work year after year and we are the one paying, it should be the other way around where they put in all the work and we pay for a completed product... Patches did not exist in 05' yet EA and 2K released the two Football titles to the best of their ability. They were not perfect but they were light years ahead of any next gen title when it comes to the work the company put in. Sometimes we have to say "Enough is Enough", as a cop I can't go half-assed into any job I have or I will have no JOB... But as a Game Developer it seems like they can go half-assed into a game and its okay because after release date they can release a whole bunch of Patches "Band aids" to fix the mess ups... Same old song and dance has gotten old already... Its time for some competition in the NFL videogame world...

Last edited by mikemck09; 09-16-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
Banned

dukebeatsuncagain's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Our Infatuation with Sliders!!

People tweak slider for EVERY sports game. Not just Madden. No game plays as realistic as people want to right out of the box. In no way is the game broken. Seriously, just try playing the game, relax, and enjoy it for what it is. It has great graphics, updated rosters, and a very immersive Career mode.

People have such high expectations, they will never be satisfied. I saw people complaining SO much before the season started as to how un-realistic the INT numbers in Madden were, then in weeks one and two, look at how many interceptions were thrown. Eli Manning just threw 3 INTs with 510 yards, and won the game 41-34. Imagine how many people would call that cheating or unrealistic if that Giants vs Bucs game was the first one they played against the CPU.

Sometime you just have to play the game and see where it takes you. I see people come one here and say "Madden 13 is such garbage, when will EA learn they are horrible, NFL2k5 is SO MUCH BETTER. I am glad I never bought or played that piece of trash"

WHAT?! These people's brains are so advanced they can come up with factual conclusions without even PLAYING the game.

Bottom line is, if you don't want to play it, don't. That is everyone's chouce, but these kind of posts are so cliche', it gets old.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

I agree man - the game should be already tailored to sim out of the box. Sliders are there to customize the game to your experience but it does appear they companies are beginning to use that as a cop out. The best Madden I've played is '05 for the PC and '06 was a pleasure as well. I don't even recall having sliders to adjust? On the PC, I just cranked the graphics up to the best quality. I thought Next Gen plus HD would give me a better experience.. nope.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6

...is unhealthy
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemck09
I sit here 2 weeks into the NFL season without an active CCM due to the horrid CPU gameplay, I think back and wonder why the hell did we all pay 65 bucks for a game that we actually have to work on to improve.
That part can be a pleasure - working to improve the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemck09
We are all doing the job that EA should have completed. We dont even have working sliders, I mean come on. When will we wake up and notice the bullshirt. Would you take your car to the shop to get new tires installed but you personally had to fill em up and screw em in, on top of that pay full price for the labor?[...] Its just not right to the consumer to put in all of this work year after year and we are the one paying, it should be the other way around where they put in all the work and we pay for a completed product[...]Sometimes we have to say "Enough is Enough", as a cop I can't go half-assed into any job I have or I will have no JOB... But as a Game Developer it seems like they can go half-assed into a game and its okay because after release date they can release a whole bunch of Patches "Band aids" to fix the mess ups[...]
Hey, its this community that, I believe, EA is preying on. The very community of critics (OS, versus, apex etc are the ones who are engulfing their pockets with undeserved quantities of cash for a game that they clearly see is not worthy of their cash! It's this very community of critics that should be taking a stand but since all EA really see's we do is complain, criticize, and "tweak" - their solution is.. well, "if they're still buying the product.. we'll give them more to complain and criticize and in the end they will be satisfied with more 'tweaking'".

The adult community is looking like a bunch of kids now - ADD kids who can't let go of controlling and tinkering with all these damn settings! Some of the tweaks I see these supposed 'experts' suggest makes the game look even more horrid with skittish animations and skittish sliders. At least all 50's looks pleasant and in order. The game is meant to have this 50/50 chance because it is meant to be played on 5 minute quarters on ALL-PRO - they have to cram all the action we see in a 60 minute game into a 5minute qtr concept.

The kids in public schools and high-school, 95% could care less or even know how to tweak a game and are looking to just "play"! Its no wonder the damn offline community is getting shafted... We gotta grow up folks.. the kids aren't going to take a stand for something they don't even appreciate nor understand, "sliders"..

The reality is, this community of critics is not as wide as the community who just 'play'.. It is a niche community who wants to tailor the game to their 15minute qtr system. How do you even have the time in your adult life to finish multiple seasons on that qtr length while still complaining and tweaking?!

I'll be frank, we've been succumb to a bunch of control freaks who are desperate for attention. I too have spent too much time in the lab on what I would reduce to unproductive idle time. I will no longer be sucked into this tangled web of nervousness any longer. I've had my satifaction with this game just playing - its when I become critical that I lose the fun factor. You can't play and have fun while judging the game with a constant critical eye.. ugh

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 09-17-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelphreak
...is unhealthy
Headnod!

It's OCD behavior! We're trying to make a game that is already imperfect in reality and tune it to perfection in a virtual reality?! C'mon folks! Your slider suggestions are never going to fit the whole world's vision of football! If you really want to make a football game, make it a goal on your bucket list. Its starting to look like a beauty pageant with everyone trying to sell their beautiful sliders on stage with their beautiful pitches and exquisite slogans.. its becoming quite gross and yes, glaringly unhealthy.

I have been spending mornings reviewing these slider posts and its INSANE. Everyday someone seems to have an 'aha' moment.. and desperately trumpets their revelation only to still convey vagueness and uncertainty and not a hint of confirmation resonates from their message.

All I see is mass confusion in here.. It's a terrible virus spreading among the community. Confusion, uncertainty, nervousness, desperate attempts to gain favor and admiration - its becoming a hospice in here for people - grown men - who are at the end of their lives with virtual gaming.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Rookie

mikemck09's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebeatsuncagain
People tweak slider for EVERY sports game. Not just Madden. No game plays as realistic as people want to right out of the box. In no way is the game broken. Seriously, just try playing the game, relax, and enjoy it for what it is. It has great graphics, updated rosters, and a very immersive Career mode.

People have such high expectations, they will never be satisfied. I saw people complaining SO much before the season started as to how un-realistic the INT numbers in Madden were, then in weeks one and two, look at how many interceptions were thrown. Eli Manning just threw 3 INTs with 510 yards, and won the game 41-34. Imagine how many people would call that cheating or unrealistic if that Giants vs Bucs game was the first one they played against the CPU.

Sometime you just have to play the game and see where it takes you. I see people come one here and say "Madden 13 is such garbage, when will EA learn they are horrible, NFL2k5 is SO MUCH BETTER. I am glad I never bought or played that piece of trash"

WHAT?! These people's brains are so advanced they can come up with factual conclusions without even PLAYING the game.

Bottom line is, if you don't want to play it, don't. That is everyone's chouce, but these kind of posts are so cliche', it gets old.

I disagree with you, these posts would not be cliche and old if we received a game that played out realistically... The CPU IS BROKEN... I dont know how you can sit there and say that it isnt when the opposing team in CCM mode runs for about 18 times and finishes the game with 13 yds. with a stud HB. How about the passing game and decisions with a QB like Peyton Manning. Or how the CPU chooses to run the ball when down 2 scores with 3 minutes left in the 4th Quarter... Absolutely on AI, this game was made for the online user vs user experience... The offline sim community were left out... Yes, a lot of sport games are tweaked by the sliders but not a lot of sport games play disgustingly unrealistic like Madden does... Like I said you cant play on Rookie to All Pro without scoring over 50 points on the CPU... You cant play on All Madden without Mirroring and shifting by the CPU n order for you to lose the game... Its insane how people can sit here not complain... I guess sheep will be sheep and follow the rest of the group...
Old 09-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Rookie

mikemck09's Arena

I just love Sim Sport Games... I would like some realism in the game I pay almost 70 bucks for... I dont want an arcade type of game that makes the "kids" happy... I will be 90 years old and still have a love for video games... Life is too short to grow up in the aspect of "putting down the controller"... Get out of here with that kind of talk, if gaming is for you then it is for you. No matter how old you are, you will always have the right to play a video game... I just disagree with companies targeting a certain group of players, in Madden's case the online gamers... It sucks when playing offline just produces migraines...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »