Home

Realistic - Ratings Based - Zero Sliders

This is a discussion on Realistic - Ratings Based - Zero Sliders within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Banned

Drtro's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Realistic - Ratings Based - Zero Sliders

When I test, I mainly look for a few things.

First thing is consistency in the CPU. I don't want the CPU to go 3 and out every drive nor do I want them scoring FGs and TDs every drive. As long as the run game is going, they usually do well. Right now, I'm getting good time of possessions. Most of their drives are 8+ plays and each team gets around 2-3 possessions per quarter which feels realistic.

The next thing I look for are stats. I want the CPU to get over 300 but under 400 yards. Most games I play, it's usually around 350-380 which gives me a 10-25 rated defense depending what stage the season is in.

Basically as long as I'm between 10-20 in offense and defense (neither dominating or playing a over-powered CPU) and have a realistic record, I'm happy. I've played 1 season with 3 teams testing around with sliders I make on my own.

Bills 9-7 lost in Wild Card
Seahawks 8-8
Rams 5-11

Now I'm ready to begin a multi-season CCM. But I'm struggling to find a team to play with.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Won 41-11 with the Redskins vs Saints.

400 yards of offense vs 160.

Saints had 34 rushing yards.

Got 137 but some of that was scrambling with Griffin if the receivers were covered or (more often) the pocket was caving in and I didn't want to throw another pick lol.

Speaking of passing - felt almost all or nothing. Either the guys were open as heck or they were making great plays on the ball. Had 12 incompletions - 3 were INTs where the receiver had a window and the defender made a play.

Those were also on middle and deeper throws. After the 3rd INT, I just stuck to short throws and break tackles with the WRs.

CPU broke a ton of tackles, but to no avail. Sproles broke 3 tackles in 13 touches (23%!) and that's not including the misses. I don't think Banks should be breaking too many tackles.

Had a PR for a TD because the defenders literally did not attempt to tackle him. They were content running "parallel" to him or "hanging around" him and none of them even just dove at this feet or tried to cut off the angle. There was no way that should have been a TD. I was like "they are going to get me" about 4 times, and I was bracing for the hit...one that never came.

My players missed more tackles than the CPU's defenders for whatever reason. Lofton had 11 tackles for them with only a few misses. That's a nice, good total. Fletcher had 7...with about 6 misses Three times, Sproles just threw him to the ground (those were Sproles' BTK). Once he just slipped off the back of Graham (literally, just slid - like water off a duck's back...Graham's physical and all, but...). Once he slid down the side of Lance Moore. I was like ...what you doing, Fletcher? LOL

Brees couldn't do anything. Not sure why since the pass rush wasn't impressive by my guys on most plays. Many times, Brees had 3-4 seconds, sometimes more. He threw no INTs, but there were some my DBs probably should have found a way to hold on to. Not upset they dropped them, that happens a lot in the real game, just saying if they had their hands on, probably would have been one pick out of those. The CPU, though, didn't drop many from Griffin - gotta love that. CPU catches it's picks, but your guys drop them. Guess I should have switched with this set.

Reaction to Griffin scrambling wasn't too good, even if they were in zone. The "refuse to tackle him" showed up again as well. Must be a player's rating causing it. BCV? ELU? TAK of defender? Ran a couple read option plays, but they did sniff them out. That was good. Draws were the usual deal in most cases (Madden player AI problem, basically)

I couldn't feel any firm tackles, even from high POW guys. Tackling just felt like a "let's hit him and maybe one of us will luckily knock him down" affair. Even the tackles Lofton got. It was more like "firm two-hand touch". I know there's too many big hits in the game usually, but tackling felt more like a coin flip instead of a player showing good technique, etc, and I didn't feel like I really need to try to evade contact actively. Even running with Griffin, I didn't feel like I needed to worry about him fumbling the ball, etc. if I didn't watch for a solid tackle from the SS or Lofton ranging in, etc.

Running game - inside was very ineffective on both sides. CPU went pass D at the end, I'm guessing, because suddenly it was easy running. Otherwise, it was 1 maybe 2 yards, occasionally 3-4 yards inside, but usually it was just a big wall of white and black and no one trying to execute the blocking scheme or pick up their assignment. Outside runs were under control - and perhaps too much there, too. Sproles should be dangerous on the edge, but even with him throwing Fletcher around like a pillow (and he about hit like one LOL), not much ground was gained.

The only hard hits came against the QBs. Griffin would get crushed if he was hit as he threw. Orakpo crushed Brees on his sack.

Overall, it was an interesting game to see play out. Despite the big win, it wasn't boring or anything. If anything, it came me more time to watch the game play out, especially when the CPU had the ball. Getting a PR TD was nice, just wish it wasn't because of how the player AI responded.

Last edited by KBLover; 01-10-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Banned

Drtro's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

Got 137 but some of that was scrambling with Griffin if the receivers were covered or (more often) the pocket was caving in and I didn't want to throw another pick lol.

Speaking of passing - felt almost all or nothing. Either the guys were open as heck or they were making great plays on the ball. Had 12 incompletions - 3 were INTs where the receiver had a window and the defender made a play.

Those were also on middle and deeper throws. After the 3rd INT, I just stuck to short throws and break tackles with the WRs.

CPU broke a ton of tackles, but to no avail. Sproles broke 3 tackles in 13 touches (23%!) and that's not including the misses. I don't think Banks should be breaking too many tackles.

Had a PR for a TD because the defenders literally did not attempt to tackle him. They were content running "parallel" to him or "hanging around" him and none of them even just dove at this feet or tried to cut off the angle. There was no way that should have been a TD. I was like "they are going to get me" about 4 times, and I was bracing for the hit...one that never came.

My players missed more tackles than the CPU's defenders for whatever reason. Lofton had 11 tackles for them with only a few misses. That's a nice, good total. Fletcher had 7...with about 6 misses Three times, Sproles just threw him to the ground (those were Sproles' BTK). Once he just slipped off the back of Graham (literally, just slid - like water off a duck's back...Graham's physical and all, but...). Once he slid down the side of Lance Moore. I was like ...what you doing, Fletcher? LOL

Brees couldn't do anything. Not sure why since the pass rush wasn't impressive by my guys on most plays. Many times, Brees had 3-4 seconds, sometimes more. He threw no INTs, but there were some my DBs probably should have found a way to hold on to. Not upset they dropped them, that happens a lot in the real game, just saying if they had their hands on, probably would have been one pick out of those. The CPU, though, didn't drop many from Griffin - gotta love that. CPU catches it's picks, but your guys drop them. Guess I should have switched with this set.

Reaction to Griffin scrambling wasn't too good, even if they were in zone. The "refuse to tackle him" showed up again as well. Must be a player's rating causing it. BCV? ELU? TAK of defender? Ran a couple read option plays, but they did sniff them out. That was good. Draws were the usual deal in most cases (Madden player AI problem, basically)

I couldn't feel any firm tackles, even from high POW guys. Tackling just felt like a "let's hit him and maybe one of us will luckily knock him down" affair. Even the tackles Lofton got. It was more like "firm two-hand touch". I know there's too many big hits in the game usually, but tackling felt more like a coin flip instead of a player showing good technique, etc, and I didn't feel like I really need to try to evade contact actively. Even running with Griffin, I didn't feel like I needed to worry about him fumbling the ball, etc. if I didn't watch for a solid tackle from the SS or Lofton ranging in, etc.

Running game - inside was very ineffective on both sides. CPU went pass D at the end, I'm guessing, because suddenly it was easy running. Otherwise, it was 1 maybe 2 yards, occasionally 3-4 yards inside, but usually it was just a big wall of white and black and no one trying to execute the blocking scheme or pick up their assignment. Outside runs were under control - and perhaps too much there, too. Sproles should be dangerous on the edge, but even with him throwing Fletcher around like a pillow (and he about hit like one LOL), not much ground was gained.

The only hard hits came against the QBs. Griffin would get crushed if he was hit as he threw. Orakpo crushed Brees on his sack.

Overall, it was an interesting game to see play out. Despite the big win, it wasn't boring or anything. If anything, it came me more time to watch the game play out, especially when the CPU had the ball. Getting a PR TD was nice, just wish it wasn't because of how the player AI responded.
I've had an issue with that as well. Whenever I'd run with the QB, the defense would just watch him rather than pursue. It happens on run plays as well (mostly draw plays).

Anyway I can fix this? I assume it's the run reaction time but I haven't tested it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtro
I've had an issue with that as well. Whenever I'd run with the QB, the defense would just watch him rather than pursue. It happens on run plays as well (mostly draw plays).

Anyway I can fix this? I assume it's the run reaction time but I haven't tested it.
Run reaction is probably the most direct way to attack it. Block shedding can help some because at the line, it's a slower developing play, so more time for a defender up front to block a lane, slowing the play down more, and it helps anyone blocked at the second level to get free before the ball carrier gets there, too, helping contain the play for a smaller gain.

If the defense happened to call a blitz, higher run reaction will help them change direction should the HB cross the LoS while the blitzer is as well (they won't just sit in the backfield, stare at the QB, then like "oh, yeah, you don't have the ball"), or if they see the HB coming through while on their blitz - they can peel off and start after the ball carrier easier. Block shedding helps the same as above - blitzer hits the blockers - more likely to help close a lane.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
Banned

Drtro's Arena

Quote:
Run reaction is probably the most direct way to attack it. Block shedding can help some because at the line, it's a slower developing play, so more time for a defender up front to block a lane, slowing the play down more, and it helps anyone blocked at the second level to get free before the ball carrier gets there, too, helping contain the play for a smaller gain.

If the defense happened to call a blitz, higher run reaction will help them change direction should the HB cross the LoS while the blitzer is as well (they won't just sit in the backfield, stare at the QB, then like "oh, yeah, you don't have the ball"), or if they see the HB coming through while on their blitz - they can peel off and start after the ball carrier easier. Block shedding helps the same as above - blitzer hits the blockers - more likely to help close a lane.
I'm playing with HUM run reaction at 10 and CPU at 25. 100 speed threshold. I haven't noticed any of the freezing issue where they just watch. Im going to play a few more games. The CPU run block might need to be raised. DeMarco Murray couldn't run for ****.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #14
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
So I found that creating an equal number for Run Block and Tackle with Break Tackle set to 0 makes the game a lot better. I've had this.

CPU
Break Tackle - 0
Run Block - 25
Tackle - 25

The running game is still consistent with good averages. With the break tackle at 0, it'll limit the TE or WR breaking the tackle after a catch and making a big play. This keeps the yardage stats down to get realistic numbers. I played against the Lions and they averaged around 4 yards consistently. Only a few were behind the line and they got 2 or 3 10-15 yard runs.

With the Human, I play both break tackle and run block at 0. I still get good runs. I saw a big difference between my backs as well. With Richardson (Browns), I was getting good gains and breaking tackles, but when Jackson subbed in I was struggling to get a decent gain. Richardson averaged almost 5 per carry while Jackson was around 3.

The only thing I'm still testing on is getting the CPU a good completion %. Whenever I get a good 55-65% average, they throw big numbers. I'm thinking of setting the speed threshold high to limit big plays. That and the WR breaking so many tackles leads to inflated stats. Break Tackle at 0 and finding a threshold should fix it.
Going to try these later. I definitely don't have any problems with the sliders how they are for human so I'll see how these changes do.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #15
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

Quote:

Thanks for the write up. I agreee that the most annoying thing is where they refuse to attempt a tackle when they are in range and of course that would go a long way in improving the CPUs defense. Upping CPU tackle to 25 should help that like Drtro suggested.

That also goes with feeling more firm tackles. I would like that as well but I don't know how that would change the rest of it. Does going to 5 or 10 tackle for the user make that much of a difference?

As far as Sproles breaking tackles. As a Falcons fans I've seen many of missed tackles against him. But like you said sometimes they dont get him anywhere. Players come in too fast, use poor technique, go for the big hit/strip and miss tackles on most plays. At least the first guy misses, look at all the YAC yards players are getting in the NFL. You consistently hear people talk about how bad tackling has gotten. Maybe its a personal thing but I like the feeling of having to swarm RBs because the first guy isnt a guarantee.

As far as the passing goes, that sounds like it should be imo. RG3 is going to use the short game and let Moss and Garcon do the rest with their skills. Thats how he only threw 5 INTs all season. Teams go short and run the ball until the defense presents an opportunity for them to go deep or the QB just trust his WR to make a play on the ball. I feel like passing is so easy, especially using the Falcons sometimes that I can get a big yardage pass whenever I want it on other settings.

The only thing is trying to get the CPU Brees to play like Brees should play when the redskins take an early lead on him.

Im going to try playing with the same settings but CPU RB at 25 and Tackle at 25 and see what difference it makes. I suggest trying different matchups and see how the game plays out. I've had a lot of variety in the success depending on the strengths of the teams.

Last edited by wordtobigbird; 01-11-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #16
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

Quote:
When I test, I mainly look for a few things.

First thing is consistency in the CPU. I don't want the CPU to go 3 and out every drive nor do I want them scoring FGs and TDs every drive. As long as the run game is going, they usually do well. Right now, I'm getting good time of possessions. Most of their drives are 8+ plays and each team gets around 2-3 possessions per quarter which feels realistic.

The next thing I look for are stats. I want the CPU to get over 300 but under 400 yards. Most games I play, it's usually around 350-380 which gives me a 10-25 rated defense depending what stage the season is in.

Basically as long as I'm between 10-20 in offense and defense (neither dominating or playing a over-powered CPU) and have a realistic record, I'm happy. I've played 1 season with 3 teams testing around with sliders I make on my own.

Bills 9-7 lost in Wild Card
Seahawks 8-8
Rams 5-11

Now I'm ready to begin a multi-season CCM. But I'm struggling to find a team to play with.
Haven't played through a full season because on slider sets I felt like I would never lose and if I did make it where I could lose it was so unrealistic. Hopefully I can get one going.

I'm with you 100% on that line of thinking. Trying to get the CPU to replicate an offense that can drive down the field. That's what makes it fun playing the against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamburo22
I'm glad to see somebody else agrees with my thinking that having most settings at 0 makes the players play to their ratings...even if you are a Falcons fan!!

Just a few thoughts regarding your set...

I've tried threshold at 75, 50, 60, 100 but it made me feel like my players were stuck in quicksand. While I do agree that it helps cut down on the big plays, I feel the gameplay suffers so I keep it at 0.

Other than that, my penalty sliders are a bit different than yours but I like your thinking.
We'll bring the Lombardi to the NFC South at least!

I feel what youre saying on that with the quicksand but it was what helped stopped me from turning the corner too easily. Now that I think about it I didn't move it after I changed the penalty sliders.

I made a couple changes from yours to increase the pursuit. Try a game with roughing the kicker at 0.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »