Home

The OS All-Pro slider project

This is a discussion on The OS All-Pro slider project within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2004, 12:09 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: The OS All-Pro slider project

Just palyed a game with these sliders great game I usually smoke about 5 cigs during a game didnt smoke one during this game because it was so intense lol, anyway here is some stats

Bengals (cpu) Dolphins (me)
score 17/16
total off 249/301
rush yards 142/108 (hell yes the cpu actually ran on me 27 times)
Passing 107/193
TOP 23:17/24:43

they won in the 4th when i threw a damn interception on like 3rd and 8 with about 3:30 to go

Key stats
Palmer 10-16 116 yds 1td 0int
Fielder 22-34 230 yds 0td 3int (ouch)
Johnson 27 att 136 yds 1td
Gordon 20 att 96 yds 1td

all in all the sliders are definately in the right direction very happy even though i lost
(btw i am playing 12 min qts acc. clock)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2004, 02:03 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 1

Okay, wow... totally not feeling these at ALL.

Stats from my game:

Me:
36 points
423 total yards
142 rushing, 304 passing
23 first downs
3rd down % - 3-12 (25%)
T.O.P. 29:34

CPU
34 points
446 total yards
24 rushing, 422 passing
13 1st downs
3rd down % - 2-9 (22%)
T.O.P. 18:26

QB comparison:
M. Vick (me): 67.3 rating - 304 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT, 20-36 (55%), 3 sacks, 8.4 yd/pass avg

C. Palmer (CPU) 123.5 rating - 428 yds, 4 TDs, 1 INT, 23-38 (60%), 1 sack, 11.2 yd/pass avg

Rushing comparison:
S. Alexander (me): 23 attempts, 83 yards, 3.6 avg, 3 broken tackles, 11 yard long, 0 TD
M. Vick (me again): 14 attempts, 57 yards, 4.0 avg, 0 broken tackles, 18 yd long, 1 TD

Curtis Martin (CPU): 11 attempts, 29 yards, 2.6 avg, 1 broken tackle, 6 yard long, 0 TD

Receiving:
Me:
R. Woods - 7 rec, 79 yds, 18 yd long, 1 drop
C. Johnson - 4 rec, 45 yds, 14 yd long
S. Smith - 3 rec, 105 yds, 90 yd long, 1 TD
Totals for all 7 receivers that caught a pass: 1 drop

CPU:
A. Randle El - 7 rec, 107 yds, 48 yd long, 1 drop, 1 TD
M. Bruener - 7 rec, 120 yds, 39 yd long, 3 drops
R. Dixon - 3 rec, 144 yds, 63 yd long, 3 TD
Totals for all 7 receivers that caught a pass: 6 drops

Blocking:
Me: 13 pancakes, 3 sacks allowed
CPU: 17 pancakes, 1 sack allowed

Defense:
Me: 40 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 7 deflections, 1 safety, 1 INT for TD
CPU: 63 tackles, 7 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 12 deflections

Lots of stats here, but it's pretty telling. The game was super close the entire time, yet with Curtis Martin and an offensive line that allowed only 4 tackles for a loss and 1 sack, the CPU ran only 11 times. That's it. My own running game was pretty pathetic, as well, forcing me to go to the air VERY early. The defense was in the backfield as soon as I received the handoff, and twice I got tackled 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage because guys came in completely unblocked while my O-line took it upon itself to double team the DTs.

When throwing, I was hurried more times than not and absolutely unable to outrun defensive lineman -- as MICHAEL FREAKING VICK. That also resulted in 2 of my interceptions (being hit as I threw), the other to my own stupidity.

My pass defense was TERRIBLE, despite the fact I stayed in the nickel 90% of the game, going against a 2 WR set. My DBs were CONSTANTLY beat deep, yet, I only beat the CPU deep myself on a trick play that I designed personally. I only got 1 INT due to recognition of the play myself and I broke on the route early and ran it back pretty easily. All the other times, whenever I took control of a safety and moved him toward one guy that was breaking open, someone ELSE would get open -- zone coverage, man coverage... didn't matter. My DBs played like they were ********.

Hopefully, this game is just an aberration, as it seems no one else has had a game like mine. Seems everyone else had the CPU running on them and not too much trouble getting the running game going themselves. I find that extremely odd, because these slider settings don't have the defensive awareness any lower than I usually run.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:19 AM   #27
Rookie

Just beat the Cowboys 20 to 3 in my Franchise (yr 4 Bears). Despite avg. a woeful yard a carry, the Cowboys ran through out the entire game. This game (and others) makes me believe the theory that some people are floating out there about the CPU needing "success" to keep running the ball is nonsense. The CPU running the ball has much more to do with the score and the coach profile (I'm talking Franchise here, not exhibition).

At any rate, despite having zero offense the CPU kept it close, with TOP being nearly equal. The game turned when Henson tried to sidestep a DE and flung a side arm pick to Rolle who took it 15 yards for 6.

I played the entire game in man up, no more than cover 1 D. Creates many more one-on-one opps for the CPU. In fact, Keyshawn was outbodying Rolle all game until that fateful pick. As for the run game, Denver tore this style of D up, Dallas didn't. However, what I liked was that key tackles in the flat prevented some big runs as you could see the saftey wasn't always backing up the play like when you play constant cover 2. Since the CPU runs too many sweeps and draws, cover 1/blitzing may actually help the CPU if it runs away from the blitz or lone deep safety, despite the fact that cover 1/blitzing puts more men in the box.

The Dallas D was awesome, holding me to 3 yards per, probably the lowest avg. I've had in about 20 games, and that includes about 15 or so games on All-Madden. So, the CPU can shut your run game down on All-pro, nice to know.

One thing I've noticed in 3 1/2 games with these sliders is that the CPU has too many dropped passses by good/great (80+ catching) receivers, and they've been drive killers too. I'm not going to adjust it yet, but seems like WR catching is just not good enough @ default for the CPU.

In addition, the CPU can run away from @ speed based on ratings, however, getting up to speed seems too slow. It seems like RB/QB don't have the right amount of burst. Once they get going, the speed seems right. So, I'm guessing a minor bump in RBA will be in order.

Right now I'm @ half up 24-17 over SF in a saved game(they have McNair now, so they're much better on O). I took the opening play of the game 70 yards for 6 on a run by Kay-Jay Harris. Pretty sweet. Dallas Clark (also now a Niner) is killing me, but has 3 drops that just shouldn't have happened. Less CPU drops should lead to longer drives and more tackles. A dropped pass is a wasted stat for the D. Sucks.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:23 AM   #28
Rookie

IND(cpu)/STL(me)
score 39/46
total offense 559/478
rushing yards 109/125
passing yards 450/353
interceptions 1/1
T.O.P. 24:03/23:57

Passing
Bulger 23-32, 379 yards, 4 TDs, 1 int, 3 sack
Manning 33-50, 450 yards, 2 TDs, 1 int

Rushing
Faulk 19 Att, 119 yards, 1 TD
Jackson 3 Att, 6 yards, 1 TD
(Forgot to take down James' stats)

Receiving
Holt 7 rec, 216 yards, 2 TD
Harrison 12 rec, 174 yards, 1 TD
Wayne, 9 rec, 125 yards

Very close game, I thought I was going to go into OT until I did a PA bomb to Holt, who is way faster than their top corner, to make the score 46-39. I could not get them to punt, every drive they ended in the red zone.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:31 AM   #29
Rookie

blkdymnd's Arena

OVR: 3

Got one in tonight with the revised sliders... really good game. I was overmatched a bit playing GB against PHI. I wanted an uphill battle because it should be that way with these two teams. I was right. It was raining and Favre could not get the ball off the "less than frozen tundra of lambeau field"... i was a miserable 13 of 30. Westbrook got about 75 yards on the defense and Green got around 80-some. Philly ended up on top 27-13 and Akers was kicking the crap out of the ball for them, may bring the kick acc/pow down 1. He made a 55 yarder easy to kill the half.

Overall, these are still going great and I'll keep testing...
Old 09-23-2004, 02:33 AM   #30
Rookie

blkdymnd's Arena

OVR: 3

and i can't understand silocks prob with the computer not running. In my two tests so far with these sliders, the computers run on me 32 and 29 times a game... so in my tests anyway, the cpu is able to playcall alright...
Old 09-23-2004, 03:41 AM   #31
Rookie

but are these sliders actually challenging?....do u ever feel you are GOING to lose the game?...i like the challenge of all madden but want the realism of all pro but the thing is on all pro i can be losing 21-0 late in the 4th quarter and i never feel challenged...my problem is that its like im writing the game recap not having it read to me if you know what i mean...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2004, 05:04 AM   #32
Rookie

Played another... still disappointing. I bumped the CPU runblocking and run ability to 15 each.

Me:
59 points
570 yds total offense
210 rushing, 360 passing
28 1st downs
6/10 on 3rd down (60%)
TOP 26:37

CPU
38 points
436 yds total offense
39 rushing, 397 passing
16 1st downs
6/13 on 3rd down (46%)
TOP 21:23

Passing:
M. Vick (me): 105.5 rating, 384 yds, 3 TD, 1 INT, 21/38 (55%)
J. Fiedler (CPU): 115.1 rating, 406 yds, 4 TD, 1 INT, 23/40 (57%)

Rushing:
S. Alexander (me): 116 yds, 27 attempts, 4.2 Avg, 2 TD, 5 broken tackles, 14 yd. long
M. Vick (me): 79 yds, 7 attempts, 11.2 Avg, 1 TD, 1 broken tackles, 17 yd. long

Onterrio Smith (CPU): 42 yds, 16 attempts, 2.6 Avg, 1 TD, 3 broken tackles, 16 yd. long

Receiving:
Me:
C. Johnson - 7 rec, 92 yds, 1 TD, 2 drops
S. Smith - 5 rec, 88 yds
R. Woods - 4 rec, 91 yds, 1 TD
Total drops of all receivers: 3

CPU:
E. Moulds - 7 rec, 189 yds, 1 TD, 1 drop
Troy Brown - 5 rec, 100 yds, 1 TD
S. Moss - 4 rec, 41 yds, 2 TD
Total drops of all receivers: 4

Blocking:
Me: 16 pancakes, 3 sacks allowed
CPU: 19 pancakes, 2 sacks allowed

Defense:
Me: 47 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 1 INT for TD, 7 deflections, 1 fumble recovery
CPU: 59 tackles, 7 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 12 deflections

Still can't get the CPU to run on me. Here's the things that are still bothering me:

1) Score. This is not even CLOSE to a realistic score, nor for total offense.
2) CPU running the ball. I think it's just a matter of programming, and there's not much any slider setting is going to do for it.
3) Blocking. The CPU is obviously better at pass blocking than the human AI is. One notch up for the humans and one down for the CPU should do it.
4) Defense. Fumbles are extremely rare this year due to bad programming. The thing that really gets me is that I throw the ball about as well as the CPU does, however, the CPU defense has nearly 50% more batted balls/pass deflections than I do. The tackles for a loss and sacks should be rectified with changing the slider settings for pass rushing. Also, my receivers NEVER seem to get ANY seperation with DBs, but opposing DB regularly outrun both my DBs AND my safeties. That should not be, considering my DBs all have speeds of 90+.

To rectify the offense, at least on my end, I don't recommend bumping up any AI. I would recommend bumping down the WR catching and QB acc. Can't go too low on the QB accuracy, 1) because it seems to affect throw power, and 2) it would result in way too many interceptions. The WR catching, though would rectify the passing situation, IMO, because it wouldn't allow too many interceptions and would *simulate* an overthrow by the QB. A lot of the problem is that in Madden, a lot of passes go for over 10 yards, and that's not even close to being the case in real life, so you end up with inflated yardage and scores. I haven't punted in either of these games. That's not right. Unless you're Indianapolis at Kansas City in the playoffs last year, every team punts at least a couple of times per game.

Just my thoughts. I seem to be the only anomaly here, though, so it could just be my playstyle conflicting with these sliders. I wish you guys all the best of luck!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »