Home

Deep drops by QB

This is a discussion on Deep drops by QB within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
Pro

markprior22's Arena

OVR: 7
Deep drops by QB

I did a search and didn't find anything about this. I had heard sometime last year that EA was going to really ramp up holding penalties when users tried to do this. This "strategy" is at the top of my cheesy tatics list and takes alot of the fun out of the game. It drives me crazy to see QB's dropping back 15-20 yds every pass play to avoid the rush. There needs to be significant penalties for doing this and I hope EA followed through.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Deep drops by QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22
I did a search and didn't find anything about this. I had heard sometime last year that EA was going to really ramp up holding penalties when users tried to do this. This "strategy" is at the top of my cheesy tatics list and takes alot of the fun out of the game. It drives me crazy to see QB's dropping back 15-20 yds every pass play to avoid the rush. There needs to be significant penalties for doing this and I hope EA followed through.
I agree, it's really lame when people you are playing doing it. It's also one of my pet peeves. EA has certainly made alot of strides in making it better in terms of outside defensive players being released and pressuring the QB but I agree they should further penalize the QB doing this by having holding call after holding call and maybe eventually people would stop this cheese tactic.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

I think slower, more deliberate dropback animations for the QB's would help immensely. Hopefully, they'll steal a page from the comp and make the QB's drop back the appropriate number of steps according to the playcall...force the QB to set-up in the pocket instead of allowing the user to simply hike-and-scramble.

Last edited by HMcCoy; 05-25-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

i read in an article..i cant remember witch one...but if you drop back like an idiot (15-25 yeards)your progressive fatigue factor will kick in and your qb will be gassed by the 2nd half...

also i read in an article from vg sports that mentioned something about your vision cone disappears if you do that kinda non-sense and you end up throwing helium floaters that get picked
Old 05-26-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
I think slower, more deliberate dropback animations for the QB's would help immensely. Hopefully, they'll steal a page from the comp and make the QB's drop back the appropriate number of steps according to the playcall...force the QB to set-up in the pocket instead of allowing the user to simply hike-and-scramble.
Actually, Madden has had this for a while now. If you don't touch the controls, the QB will drop back the appropriate number of steps for the play, and will do a "bounce" at the end of his dropback. That's the good news. The bad news is that if you don't take over the instant the dropback is completed, the cpu-controlled QB will sometimes take it on himself to throw the damn ball! [2k series 1, Madden 0]

As for the 15-20 drop problem, I think I read somewhere that the vision passing system is going to punish people who do that by either making their "flashlight" narrower and/or decreasing the accuracy of their throws. If I can find the specific quote again I'll post it.

EDIT: One other thought. One of the things I liked about the 2k series was that instead of "forcing" a player to play in a realistic manner, it made playing realistically the smart choice. The reason you see so many cheesers in Madden tournaments is because those tactics work. That doesn't mean you can't play Madden "straight", but until the game makes unrealistic stuff a recipe for failure, the cheesing will remain.

Last edited by coogrfan; 05-26-2005 at 09:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

here is the link to the qb 15-25 yard dropback

http://www.vgsportsinc.com/e3/day3.html
Old 05-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #7
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyphanatic5
here is the link to the qb 15-25 yard dropback

http://www.vgsportsinc.com/e3/day3.html
That's the quote I was looking for. Thanks philly!
Old 05-26-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Actually, Madden has had this for a while now. If you don't touch the controls, the QB will drop back the appropriate number of steps for the play, and will do a "bounce" at the end of his dropback. That's the good news. The bad news is that if you don't take over the instant the dropback is completed, the cpu-controlled QB will sometimes take it on himself to throw the damn ball! [2k series 1, Madden 0]

As for the 15-20 drop problem, I think I read somewhere that the vision passing system is going to punish people who do that by either making their "flashlight" narrower and/or decreasing the accuracy of their throws. If I can find the specific quote again I'll post it.

EDIT: One other thought. One of the things I liked about the 2k series was that instead of "forcing" a player to play in a realistic manner, it made playing realistically the smart choice. The reason you see so many cheesers in Madden tournaments is because those tactics work. That doesn't mean you can't play Madden "straight", but until the game makes unrealistic stuff a recipe for failure, the cheesing will remain.
I think in 2005 there's a way to change it so the QB won't throw if you don't control him. I can't remember, it's been a while but for some reason I remember turning that off.

As for the quote they said something similar last year, how if you drop back too far it would drastically effect the chance of the past being complete, etc, etc, etc. It's another one of those things they say every year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »