Home

Ea need to dump the passing cone system in the dumpster!

This is a discussion on Ea need to dump the passing cone system in the dumpster! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #57
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Ea need to dump the passing cone system in the dumpster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I didn't know about the scramble mode. That's cool. EA should actually make it so that at no time are you allowed to throw to a receiver not in the cone, not just after they've complete their routes.
My understanding is that the penalties in terms of accuracy for throwing to a non-cone reciever will be pretty severe. Imo the rationale here is that while the receivers are still running their routes, the qb will have have a general idea where his guys should be. Therefore he can throw a quick snap pass, but it will be less accurate than if he focused his attention on that receiver. Once the receivers go into scramble mode, the qb no longer has the ability to throw to anyone he's not looking at because he has no way of knowing for certain where they are going to be.

Quote:
Secondly, I would prefer they enhance the defense's ability to defend across the field passes instead of trying to limit the QB's ability. Vick and others have sucessfully thrown across the filed on ocassion.

I think if EA gave realistic ratings, and made the speed of the game & players realistic, they wouldn't have to create as many features to stop cheasers. Vick is Vick. He's one of the fastest and most talented guys in the league. He's able to do things that no other QB can do. Instead of toning down his abilities, allow others to play up to theirs.
They aren't taking away Vicks running abililty, they're trying to limit the wildly unrealistic "run around until someone gets open" plays that have been so common online and in tournaments. Vick will still be able to run, what he won't have is the psychic powers he had in Madden 04-05 whereby he could somehow sense a guy wide open clear across the field while running full speed in the opposite direction.

Quote:
EA says that people pass 70% of the time, so they spent a lot of time on the passing game. Well, that also means that defenses are defending the pass 70% of the time. Why not put equal time into pass defense? Is there an equally innovative defense feature? In the NFL, teams have been able to slow, and in some cases stop Vick. EA should give defenses the ability to do that in the game. Realistic ratings, game speed, and AI would do that.

Side note: Last time I played Madden, the mobile QBs weren't mobile enough. Has the game changed that much?
I can only assume from this last that you haven't played the last couple of Maddens. Vick was unstoppable in '04, and although the defensive playmaker features added in '05 helped he was still far more effective as a passer in the game than he was in real life.

Last edited by coogrfan; 06-06-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #58
Rookie

Tyrell-PMC's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Am I the only one finding it absurd that people are criticizing the new passing system, 3 months before they even play the game?

Well, I played it at E3.....
Old 06-06-2005, 12:22 PM   #59
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
Unfortunately, EA will NOT eliminate cheesing. If they do, they will lose half of their profit margin. Everyone has to realize that hardcore sim-ballers are in the minority, unfortunately.
While I agree with your assessment of Madden gamers, I feel your implication that EA purposely includes cheese elements to increase sales is off base. The real problem is that there is simply no way for EA to anticipate every possible loophole the cheesers might come up with, not and still get the game released on time.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:14 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
It isn't real life. It's a game. I could be wrong but I don't believe I've ever seen a meter pop up on TV when the kicker came on the field either but you aren't complaining about that.
Things are done to help simulate the real thing.
The feature makes total sense. If it works right it will add to the realism and cut down on the possibility of cheese.
Wait. Kickers in real life don't have a meter? How do they understand how hard they'll be kicking it? You guys are blowing my mind right now...

heh..

I agree with ya man. I think the passing cone sounds overly complicated, but if it works to even out a lousy passing system, then great I'm all for it.

Though I think Madden gets 1 thing right in terms of realism. John Madden sounds like a moron in both the game version and on TV. So way to go. People complain about his color commentary...geez...listen to the guy in real life. It's like learning about riding a bike while riding one...everyone gets it already...
Old 06-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #61
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrell-PMC
Well, I played it at E3.....
And in all the E3's I have attended I have yet to see a final version of Madden on display. This year was no different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2005, 12:46 AM   #62
Pro

Badboy49er's Arena

OVR: 14
Thumbs up Re: Ea need to dump the passing cone system in the dumpster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
And in all the E3's I have attended I have yet to see a final version of Madden on display. This year was no different.
good call !
Old 06-07-2005, 08:23 AM   #63
MVP

OVR: 15

That means that EA has some time to be able to fine tune any problems with the feature.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #64
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
While I agree with your assessment of Madden gamers, I feel your implication that EA purposely includes cheese elements to increase sales is off base. The real problem is that there is simply no way for EA to anticipate every possible loophole the cheesers might come up with, not and still get the game released on time.
\

I agree. Cheesing is not in there because EA wants to "support it" as some part of their user base. Cheesing is there, and will always be there, because EA gives people the ability to do things as they see fit. As long as human beings are given choices in life there will be those who will do stupid things. That's how it is in life and videogames are no different.

If you're looking to get away from cheese then give up on ever believing EA or any other company can eliminate it, they cannot. Instead join a league for cheese free ball. Not to say all leagues are cheese free but if the one you join isn't you can always quit and join another. Eventually you will find a well run, cheese-free league.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »