Home

Running game blocking is very poor in MADDEN...

This is a discussion on Running game blocking is very poor in MADDEN... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2005, 09:34 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Running game blocking is very poor in MADDEN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njskillz
Phill,

Was I a fan of the ESPN series? Yes. That series is gone now so as I stated, I am willing to give Madden a chance...again. This is not about being a fanboy and espousing the virtues of the ESPN series. There is only one game in town now so that is all that counts. As I stated, I love the running animations in the EA football games but that is about it. I have lowered my expectations as far as graphics because millions of Madden supporters have been ok with the inferior player models so who am I to complain? The common mantra from Madden supporters is that gameplay is all that counts. Well, as this thread suggests, there is a problem with the run blocking. It is obvious based on watching those Madden tournaments as well as the current crop of screenshots that the problem of unrealistic pocket formation and the 20 yard dropback is alive and well. Hence, my plea for help. What exactly should I look for from the Madden series. I am obviously missing something so I am just trying to get pointed in the right direction.
Your just looking for a passive way to bash Madden "It sucks, but I'm not saying it sucks, but it does. So why do you guys still like it? Can't you see it sucks?", don't buy the game if your going to hate it. That "only game in town" argument is pure crap. You wouldn't buy the game if you didn't feel you would get some kind of amusement out of it.

As far as ESPN goes, you can't argue a specific flaw about Madden when ESPN has flaws of it's own.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:35 PM   #18
Pro

Erratic's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillmattic
Actually, "Whaa"... I could go on about what a good idea that was, but how it was poorly implemented but whatever.
Ok, so let's say that the juke stick worked for some people. So now ESPN is officially light years ahead of Madden?
I didn't say anything about Madden... You said the hitstick was bad, it wasn't if you knew how to use it. It's as simple as that. I don't go around trying to compare games. I play the games I like...
Old 06-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
I didn't say anything about Madden... You said the hitstick was bad, it wasn't if you knew how to use it. It's as simple as that. I don't go around trying to compare games. I play the games I like...
Ok! I could care less about the stupid stick now. Argue the other flaws I pointed out.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:59 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by njskillz
My thought is:

As a retired ESPN series player who is looking to get back into football videogame playing this year, who is resigned to the fact that Madden will be the only pro football game in town, what am I missing that millions of others seem to get about Madden football? I love the run animations but that is about it. I hear that graphics don't matter and that its all about gameplay. If that is the case, how does poor run blocking, unrealistic pocket formation allowing for 20 yard dropback completions, Madden tournaments which look about as "un-sim" as possible translate into a great game with great gameplay? I will be getting Madden this year but I just need someone to point me in the right direction as far as the great gameplay points. The run game and pass game seem to be important to gameplay. So if they are flawed, what am I missing?
Great post. I've been wondering the same thing for years.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:09 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillmattic
Your just looking for a passive way to bash Madden "It sucks, but I'm not saying it sucks, but it does. So why do you guys still like it? Can't you see it sucks?", don't buy the game if your going to hate it. That "only game in town" argument is pure crap. You wouldn't buy the game if you didn't feel you would get some kind of amusement out of it.

As far as ESPN goes, you can't argue a specific flaw about Madden when ESPN has flaws of it's own.
Phil,

Your coming up very small here. You sound overly defensive and there is no need to be. I mentioned that I was a fan of the ESPN series. That is all I sated about the series. The only thing I stated that could be seen as a comparison was when I stated that Madden has inferior graphics to the ESPN series. You obviously disagree and that is fine. You stated that "the only game in town argument is pure crap". Ugh, no, its not my friend. Had EA not locked up the NFL license, I would stick with the ESPN series. But, there is no more ESPN series. You state that "you can't argue a specific flaw about Madden." I have been focusing on the two that have been pointed out. Since you seem to be feeling a tad defensive, I will frame my question differently. I'm not familiar with the run blocking being a problem but the abuse of the pocket and 20 yard dropback by the QB can't be denied. Because of the abuse of some "non sim" characteristics of the Madden series which can be seen watching the various Madden tournaments, what are the gameplay high points that I should focus on?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2005, 10:57 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 11
Smile Re: Running game blocking is very poor in MADDEN...

I don't understand why people just do not play guys they know? MS gave you a friend's list (xbox only) I play guys all the time that never abuse the shortcomings of all sports games. Maybe nobody has any friends? Yes..i understand that everyone would want all the shortcomings fixed but to harp on it forum after forum is quite amusing! ok..i said my piece..carry on!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:19 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerfish
I don't understand why people just do not play guys they know? MS gave you a friend's list (xbox only) I play guys all the time that never abuse the shortcomings of all sports games. Maybe nobody has any friends? Yes..i understand that everyone would want all the shortcomings fixed but to harp on it forum after forum is quite amusing! ok..i said my piece..carry on!
Not everyone is in your "circle of trust". I'm quite sure since you don't know me, if I challenged you to a game online, you would say no. Regardless of the fact that I am a straight sim player. Hence, the issue. Madden supporters continuously point out that graphics don't matter and gameplay is the key. The run block issue and the annual QB dropback issue is a problem that has yet to be addressed (at least until this year with the promising looking QB vision cone). Since you state that you only play guys you know, I'm assuming you play a "sim" style. I ask the questions because after watching the various Madden tournaments on TV, I see nothing that resembles sim ball from the "so-called" top players of the game. But, since you state that it is possible to play without abusing the shortcomings, that is encouraging.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:54 AM   #24
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

what trigger said is true for all sports games, it's just some do a better job of not NEEDING to do it than others. trigger, you know my sim friends list is as long as yours but what i loved most about college hoops is that when i really wanted to practice i could just hop on and play anybody at any time. that's the only sports game i've ever felt that way about and it was better than i even expected. plus you do have to account for how some issues effect the cpu play.

phil,

i won't even bother with any ESPN argument, you're already distracted with your own for absolutely no reason b/c you brought ESPN into the discussion (outside of someone mentioning that they played it). i've read every one of your posts and you are arguing basically how mad you are the ESPN fans are in this forum saying something bad about madden. but what's really funny is this thread is about madden's running game and you have yet to even comment on it. in fact you are the only one that hasn't said anything about madden's gameplay at all.

all these ESPN fans wanting to hear good points about Madden and the biggest Madden fan here can do nothing but talk about ESPN.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »