Home

ESPN.com wants your Madden story!

This is a discussion on ESPN.com wants your Madden story! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19
Icon4 ESPN.com wants your Madden story!

Patrick Hruby, ESPN.com "Page 2" writer, is doing a piece about "Madden's" release and the wackiness that ensues around it.
Here's a current article by Patrick:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...ge=hruby/050719

What he's looking for is this:
1) People with careers, kids, etc. who called in sick, took a vacation day - something - just to go get a game upon release. Preferably Madden, but other games would do. Please post your age, as well.

2) People with a good sense of humor. Patrick is not writing this to belittle gamers - he's actually a regular at OS himself - but obviously, the piece needs to be a little funny and off the wall, so you can't take anything personally.

3) People who have a funny story to share about blowing off your life to go play a game. He'll only use first names if you want, so you don't get in trouble with any current employers...

If you meet these criteria, post in this thread and elaborate a bit. I'm going to work with Patrick to coordinate this, so I'll forward the best fits to him and make sure that the two of you get in touch.

Obviously, since the release is only in a few days, we need to move on this - so if you think you're a good fit for the story, and want in - please post ASAP.

Any questions? Put 'em in here...

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: ESPN.com wants your Madden story!

haha i don't know if this is a good candidate for an espn.com story or not but back when Madden 2002 came out, it got "accidentally" released on a Friday when it wasn't supposed to come out until the next Tuesday. I called my then-roomate and told him to start calling around to Circuit Citys in my area to see if they had them. He calls me back within like 10 minutes and says he's found one in the area.

Wow, miraculously I all of a sudden had to pick up some family members at the airport, and then I was sick for like 3 days in a row. LOL we still laugh about it 'til this day-"Dude, madden's out, start calling around and see if you can find a store selling it!!!"

Not only that but I bought like 8 copies and sold them to my friends at cost, we all had Madden like 5 days early and it was awesome.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 14

Is there any reward for the best submissions?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimplication
Is there any reward for the best submissions?
You'd have your story in Patrick's article on ESPN.com.
That's not too shabby...
Old 08-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #5
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

Wow. All these Madden fanatics, and only one of you has any story to tell?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

I think there is a little stage fright going on...
Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #7
john14:6

ghm125's Arena

OVR: 30

funny story, 2 years ago,madden came out,on monday,but local eb games in cincinnati had a little "shing ding" on sunday after noon,no problems we(55,or so in all) came to see the game,and put our orders in ,and what not,good day, cookout ,the whole 9 yards. well the next day its packed by 2 pm est,when i showed up,and only a handful of x box game where there and a boat load of PS'2,well guys where getting out of hand,as we hear the guy say x box is gone,till wednesday,when 2 guys start argiung over they paid and want there game now..blah blah blah,when out of no where this guy who was saying he got wrong game,wanted a ps2 in staed was sold a x box game,by mistake..the 2 guys said they would buy it off him,well thats when all"HELL" broke loose the 2 guys start throwing "haymakers",none which landed,it reminded me of 2 drunks at closing time,throwing like crazy but not landing,so after they knock over some displays,and manager(young guy bout 21 -24) gets his eyes back in his head,and threatens them with the police,they end up walking outside only to get in the same car and leave together.As for me, i had to go elsewhere to get my madden on,that day,as the manager at eb messed the orders up for the box,thus leaving several folks mad,some madder than others. but definatley a MADDEN RELEASE to remember.......

Last edited by ghm125; 08-04-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
Rookie

DrunkenCat's Arena

OVR: 2

Ok, here you go.

First of all, I'm a 40 year old gamer with a nuclear family. I have bought ever version of Madden back to the days of Sega/PC. I was buying EA football games before they were called Madden. :>

Anyway, I have big dilemma on the upcoming release and the timing of my family’s exit has put me there.

My wife takes off for Chicago with her sisters this weekend to go see a Hall & Oats concert. . They won't be back until Wednesday. My teenage daughter is off for a weeklong beach trip and my son will be staying with a friend on Monday night.

I coach the local high school girl’s tennis team and have to get my CDL to drive the team bus. Classes start bright and early at 8:30 on Tuesday morning until 4:00 that afternoon. Tennis practice is at 5:30 so Tuesday schedule is a mess to even pick up Madden, much less play it.

So now I'm back to Monday and the 12:01 release of Madden at the local Best Buy. Here is where the dilemma comes in. If my wife was in town, this would be a non issue since the ribbing I would get for going to Best Buy at midnight to buy a video game would be unrelenting. (She has heard enough of my jabs at the geeks that do the same for Star Wars and the next great version of Windows). However, she is gone and the house is empty. Tennis practice is over at 8:00, four hours before release. That gives JUST enough time at the local Buffalo Wild Wings which is about 1 minute from Best Buy. Now.....I have already committed to buying Madden 06 at 12:01, but what the heck do I do when I get home? Do I spend any time playing it knowing I got to be up at 7:00 at the latest to learn how to drive a !#$!%@#$% bus??? Where does the beer fit into this equation and how much which makes that 7:00 wakeup that much worse?

I'm really excited about the release, but finding time to actually play may be another story.

Brian Tate
North Carolina

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »