Home

Madden 06: new game or expansion pack. You decide!

This is a discussion on Madden 06: new game or expansion pack. You decide! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2005, 02:23 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Madden 06: new game or expansion pack. You decide!

After reading a great deal of reviews, previews, video, and user posts, the one thing that is becoming very apparent is that a substantial number of you guys feel somewhat shortchanged this year with Madden 06'. The most regular criticism is that many aspects of the game feels, looks, performs, and plays way too much like Madden 2005 to be considered a new $50 release.

I wanted to know how many of you guys feel like the game was worthy of being painted as a "new game" worthy of the typical fanfare and pricetag of a new console game or simply a re-release with of an older game with expansion-pack-type game with features plugged in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 02:27 AM   #2
Meatball

OVR:
Re: Madden 06: new game or expansion pack. You decide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus
After reading a great deal of reviews, previews, video, and user posts, the one thing that is becoming very apparent is that a substantial number of you guys feel somewhat shortchanged this year with Madden 06'. The most regular criticism is that many aspects of the game feels, looks, performs, and plays way too much like Madden 2005 to be considered a new $50 release.

I wanted to know how many of you guys feel like the game was worthy of being painted as a "new game" worthy of the typical fanfare and pricetag of a new console game or simply a re-release with of an older game with expansion-pack-type game with features plugged in.

It is without question an expansion pack. I like the game....I just don't think it is worth $50 bucks.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:52 AM   #3
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

I know that I may get flamed for this, but this has be EA's approach to this game for years. Why does everyone act surprised every year?

The next gen game should feel like a totally new game, but after this year, the core gameplay will remain the same until the 360 2 and PS4 come out. EA will add features here and there, tweak a few bugs, and update the rosters. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. EA's pockets continue to get full with our money, so they will never do a complete overhaul of this game.

I prefer 2k football to Madden hands down, but I do purchase Madden each year to give it a shot. All I buy is sports video games, so I tend to buy them all and sell the ones I don't like. I am enjoying this years current gen game for what it is, the only NFL game in town. It is not a bad game, but it is not a great game. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus

From a guy who has been playing Madden since the Commodore 64 Days and then switched to 2K and back to Madden last year (along with 2K), I definitely feel this is a new game. It comes down to a certain segment of the population being upset of the license thing and will bash this game no matter how good it is. It is like sometimes people are looking for the perfect game. We will never get that just like we will never get the perfect computer or cell phone. It will dry up the market. Madden is what it is. It is a solid football game with some new gameplay elements. If the game was exactly the same with new-mini games available, I could see the whole expansion pack thing.

They attempted new gameplay elements and people are freaking out because it is not that easy. I have only played 3 games thus far, but I really enjoy it. Most people will complain about the bland presentation, but I am fine with that because the game plays one hell of a game of football. Maybe next gen cures that, but as long as the game plays solid and there is a solid franchise I will be happy.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:12 AM   #5
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbubs
It is without question an expansion pack. I like the game....I just don't think it is worth $50 bucks.

It is definately a new game. The new superstar mode, the new vision and precision, the new animations, etc.

If it's an expansion pack then it is a hell of one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 08:24 AM   #6
MVP

Assassin's Arena

OVR: 6

I've got to say that this is a new game not an expansion pack as a few people have stated. The new features they've added have made this game a little bit more interesting to play as well as get use to.

I mean they could have just made this an all new Madden 05 update but in my opinion they didn't they made this game worth something. But hey to the people that want to call this an "expansion pack" be my guest because your entitled to do so but I'm going to enjoy this game and it's new features as well as look forward to Madden 360 when it comes out.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #7
Pro

Drag66's Arena

OVR: 9

All I know is I have primarily played NCAA instead of Madden, but this year, I feel I will be playing Madden primarily. I am addicted to the V&P passing. I also love the additional pre-snap adjustments EA implemented on both offense and defense this year. I would say it is just as solid of a jump as 2005 was to 2004. It clearly is a "new" game in my opinion.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10
Icon11 Re: Madden 06: new game or expansion pack. You decide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenMan
It is definately a new game. The new superstar mode, the new vision and precision, the new animations, etc.

If it's an expansion pack then it is a hell of one.

You just defined expansion pack

Call of Duty Expansion Pack has new animations, harder difficulty, tons of new levels, new story ( well WW2 stuff) and tons of new online modes. $29.99

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »