Home

Getting frustrated....

This is a discussion on Getting frustrated.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2005, 07:25 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Getting frustrated....

Hey guys, first off let me say that so far I really like Madden 2006. I've been playing a lot of games on All-Pro Level with Playmakers sliders. The BIG problem I'm having though is that I can't win...or even come close. I have ZERO running game, and a descent passing game. Does anyone have any good tips for me, or am I just a horrible player? I would say my defense is solid, but I seem to give up a defensive TD every game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Getting frustrated....

Some quick tips. I'm on all madden.
1) don't give up on the run. I only avg about 3.6 YPC but I try to run it 20-25 times a game minimum.

2) Follow your lead blockers.

3) I play as the Cardinals so I have a power back (Shipp) starting and slip in my speed back (JJ Arrignton) for a few plays and sometimes can break a long run.

4) try to mix up your playcalls. Also run different plays from Same formation (pass and run).

5) don't be afraid to run up the gut sometimes, don't always try to break it outside b/c you will get hunted down too quick.

6) if all else fails, then maybe you need to tweak you RB sliders to adjust for your skill level. sliders are not universal to every particular person so adjust and see if it fits you.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
john14:6

ghm125's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSonGoku
Some quick tips. I'm on all madden.
1) don't give up on the run. I only avg about 3.6 YPC but I try to run it 20-25 times a game minimum.

2) Follow your lead blockers.

3) I play as the Cardinals so I have a power back (Shipp) starting and slip in my speed back (JJ Arrignton) for a few plays and sometimes can break a long run.

4) try to mix up your playcalls. Also run different plays from Same formation (pass and run).

5) don't be afraid to run up the gut sometimes, don't always try to break it outside b/c you will get hunted down too quick.

6) if all else fails, then maybe you need to tweak you RB sliders to adjust for your skill level. sliders are not universal to every particular person so adjust and see if it fits you.

All of the above,plus lay off speed burst until its necessary.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghm125
All of the above,plus lay off speed burst until its necessary.
Can't stress this enough. Hitting that speed boost too soon is a rookie mistake I am sure every Madden player has made before. The defense keys in on you when you hit that boost.

Follow your blockers and hit the holes.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGmoney
Can't stress this enough. Hitting that speed boost too soon is a rookie mistake I am sure every Madden player has made before. The defense keys in on you when you hit that boost.

Follow your blockers and hit the holes.
Interesting....... I have yet to win a game as well, but I haven't played the Madden series in 5 years. I have been a 2K guy, which meant you tapped the A button as fast as you could as soon as your RB got the ball...... Are you saying wait till you hit the hole, and then tap the A or press and hold the A? It seems to me that if I wait for a 1/2 a second, and see the blockers open up a lane, instead of runnign headlong into the pile, I can grab a few extra yards... but I am pressing the A button right from the get go.... Do I need to wait?

Also, I am addicted to that damn Hitstick. I love the animations you are rewarded with and the ball seperation of a well timed hit, but I am beginning to realize that the risk/reward of the big hit is something I need to learn to contend with. I have started only really laying the wood to a guy when he has been slowed down or is wrapped up in the tackle by another teammate. I can use the strip buttons, and sometimes get him to fumble, but I rarely recover it... Do I need to hit a button to pick up or jump on the ball?

Overall, I am seeing some great things from my first Madden experience since the PS1 days... I left EA for SEGA when the Dreamcast introduced the 2K series, and honestly, I am disappointed that I have no choice this year.... I guess I like the fact that I cannot dominate (heck, I can't win A game) like I finally did with 2K, but I too am becoming frustrated with the *** poundings that I am being given.... I think it is much more important to read offensive sets, and to call your defense accordingly with this game. With 2K5, Zach Thomas was a beast, and could run down anyone....I think Madden does a more realistic job of player positioning playing a larger part of effectiveness, but it is going to take some time to get used to this gameplay versus SEGA's.

So, I trudge forward, with my horrid Dolphins, trying to win my first game on All Pro, with Playmaker's slider set..... Maybe it is time to *gulp*... move down to Pro.

SYF
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
Interesting....... I have yet to win a game as well, but I haven't played the Madden series in 5 years. I have been a 2K guy, which meant you tapped the A button as fast as you could as soon as your RB got the ball...... Are you saying wait till you hit the hole, and then tap the A or press and hold the A? It seems to me that if I wait for a 1/2 a second, and see the blockers open up a lane, instead of runnign headlong into the pile, I can grab a few extra yards... but I am pressing the A button right from the get go.... Do I need to wait?

Also, I am addicted to that damn Hitstick. I love the animations you are rewarded with and the ball seperation of a well timed hit, but I am beginning to realize that the risk/reward of the big hit is something I need to learn to contend with. I have started only really laying the wood to a guy when he has been slowed down or is wrapped up in the tackle by another teammate. I can use the strip buttons, and sometimes get him to fumble, but I rarely recover it... Do I need to hit a button to pick up or jump on the ball?

Overall, I am seeing some great things from my first Madden experience since the PS1 days... I left EA for SEGA when the Dreamcast introduced the 2K series, and honestly, I am disappointed that I have no choice this year.... I guess I like the fact that I cannot dominate (heck, I can't win A game) like I finally did with 2K, but I too am becoming frustrated with the *** poundings that I am being given.... I think it is much more important to read offensive sets, and to call your defense accordingly with this game. With 2K5, Zach Thomas was a beast, and could run down anyone....I think Madden does a more realistic job of player positioning playing a larger part of effectiveness, but it is going to take some time to get used to this gameplay versus SEGA's.

So, I trudge forward, with my horrid Dolphins, trying to win my first game on All Pro, with Playmaker's slider set..... Maybe it is time to *gulp*... move down to Pro.

SYF
Former 2k player here myself. Just coming back to Madden after a 2-year hiatus... I have found that If I lay off the boost button on runs up the middle, I can follow the blockers and hit the holes better. Then when I hit that second-tier of defense hit the boost and/or Hit stick. Also on the runs up the middle, use the "Cover the Ball" button. I have found that works wonders. Now on the runs to the outside, I hit that boost I soon as the HB gets the ball to get to the outside.

I feel ya on making that transition back to Madden. Between getting used to the cone and the Madden engine again, I have had some frustrating games. Things are getting better though.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
Slide Protection....

I do have another quick question...slide protection. I know before the snap I can bring it up hitting the R1 button I think on my PS2, but what can you do with it then? can you slide left, right, tight, and out?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:23 AM   #8

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Slide Protection....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfthomp
I do have another quick question...slide protection. I know before the snap I can bring it up hitting the R1 button I think on my PS2, but what can you do with it then? can you slide left, right, tight, and out?
Yes you can slide your protection in any of those directions you listed above, and its all done by pressing the corresponding direction on the d-pad. Seems to work better then trying to shade a receiver but Im still trying to remember to use it all the time before I snap the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »