Home

Punt returns are horribly broken

This is a discussion on Punt returns are horribly broken within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Punt returns are horribly broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownKid
Personally, I'm ready to trade the game in because of it.

I'm hoping that it's addressed in either the XBox 360 version, or in the PC version via a patch or something, cuz I'm not real happy with this situation. In fact, I'm pretty friggin deflated. I was just getting into '06, telling people what a good game it was, really getting a feel for the cone and the precision passing, and just about to bump up to All-Madden, when I notice this punt return crap.

It sucks.
I would think the PC version will be patched.

It is a big issue, and it is a shame, because punt returns are an important part of the NFL game. I am just not sure how EA didn't realize this when testing the game.

I mean, surely after returning a punt or two, and noticing the blockers doing nothing, they would have suspected something was up... I guess they just opted not to address the issue, which doesn't make sense either.

There are things that get past testing that blow miy mind, regardless of what game it is. To spend so much time on making a good game, adding features, and generally improving the game, and then to drop the ball and not notice something like blockers being worthless on punt returns doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand how this gets past the initial sessions of testing, let alone it sneaking past all testing, and into the final release.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

hey i made a post on this in madden nation and ill say it again here. the special teams and defensive players are on steroids in this game. dont get me wrong. i love a game that emphasizes defense. but this so called turbo charged madden is not doing it. ive never seen football players move that fast. and i mean ever. its almost like they are superhuman. heck, you cant even do a simple 5 step drop without offensive line protection breaking down.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:24 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6

Upping the CPU punt length 2 clicks and using Punt Return Safe Man and Punt Block Return gets you a chance to return about 60% of punts, which is pretty realistic.

"Excuse me, but Hiphop these days, it don't enthuse me"

---Chino XL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2005, 03:48 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

I've also used the punt block zone formation and have been getting a fair amount of returns. No doubt about it though, the punt and kickoff retuns are a huge annoyance and weakness on an otherwise excellent football game.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
Rookie

Thumbs down Re: Punt returns are horribly broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownKid
No it doesn't. I tried it many times in practice. It clogs the center traffic, but it leaves the guys on the sidelines virtually unmolested.
A) First off, if the ability or lack thereof to return punts is a big enough deal to make you want to return a game - you should check yourself a bit. I think you're being just a tad of a drama queen.

B) Punt Block Man DOES work - forget practice mode - go into a game and try it. The CPU will audible to a max-protect scheme and there will be no "guys on the sidelines" to go unmolested. That's the whole point. They stay in and block before going down the field. So if you bump up the length of the punts and use this formation - you'll have plenty of time to get a return - and you won't have blockers standing around in front of you getting in the way - because they all went after the punt block.

It's not brain surgery people - just try it.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #14
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm surprised it took this long for the name calling to start.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #15
Rookie

Plain and simple you're overreacting and being childish - that's why I called you a name.

All I know is that I return punts for good distances all the time - and you tried my solution once in practice mode - so go trade in your game - what do I care - I was just trying to help your gaming experience - but I don't give a crap if you want to trade in your game. Go nuts. Your loss.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #16
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10

If your help comes with a dose of s***ting on me, when you don't know me from a hole in the ground, you can keep your f***ing help, jackhole.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »