Home

Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Franchise Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Franchise Mode

I love franchise modes. It's why I play sports games. I loved the franchise mode for Madden 2005, and played it to death last year. It was in my opinion a major improvement over 2004 with its numerous minor tweaks and additions. I even liked Tony Bruno.

Still after playing it for a while, its many shortcomings start to really effect the enjoyment of the game. Such things as a terrible free agent and contract extension negiotiating procedure (where's the negotiating?), the complete abscence of any real roster rules including the ability to put players on IR thus freeing up a roster spot or the ability to have roster cuts in preseason or having a practice squad. There's also the lack of a hall-of-fame or the ability to comemorate any of your retired players through retired jerseys and the such. Also the downright boring pre-draft scouting interface, and a still-needs-to-be-improved drafting interface. And there's numerous other thinks that I can't remember or just haven't thought of that could be improved or added upon.

Still, the huge improvements the mode has made each year over the last couple years got my hopes up for 2006. Then I played it. And they basically changed nothing. I'm sorry, but the pointless practice routine you can do is just that: pointless. It effects nothing. Any other additions. Nope. Nada. Nothing.

I'm honestly flabbergasted that the didn't improve on anything in this mode. I mean, at least change some of the layout or format. Anything. I've already played this game! I don't want to be a Superstar! The game play changes themselves are minimal at best, and definitely don't make up for the lack of changes to the core game in my opinion-the franchise mode.

Now, I'm just really sad and frustrated because something I've been eagerly waiting for over the last 10 months is a complete bust in my opinion. And I can't do anything about it, except bitch and return my game. Still, that's not gonna create the game I've been hoping for, and many ways expecting. Gah.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Franchise Mode

If we don't improve it, then it's in the game...

EA sports, it's in the game
Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheele8
I love franchise modes. It's why I play sports games. I loved the franchise mode for Madden 2005, and played it to death last year. It was in my opinion a major improvement over 2004 with its numerous minor tweaks and additions. I even liked Tony Bruno.

Still after playing it for a while, its many shortcomings start to really effect the enjoyment of the game. Such things as a terrible free agent and contract extension negiotiating procedure (where's the negotiating?), the complete abscence of any real roster rules including the ability to put players on IR thus freeing up a roster spot or the ability to have roster cuts in preseason or having a practice squad. There's also the lack of a hall-of-fame or the ability to comemorate any of your retired players through retired jerseys and the such. Also the downright boring pre-draft scouting interface, and a still-needs-to-be-improved drafting interface. And there's numerous other thinks that I can't remember or just haven't thought of that could be improved or added upon.

Still, the huge improvements the mode has made each year over the last couple years got my hopes up for 2006. Then I played it. And they basically changed nothing. I'm sorry, but the pointless practice routine you can do is just that: pointless. It effects nothing. Any other additions. Nope. Nada. Nothing.

I'm honestly flabbergasted that the didn't improve on anything in this mode. I mean, at least change some of the layout or format. Anything. I've already played this game! I don't want to be a Superstar! The game play changes themselves are minimal at best, and definitely don't make up for the lack of changes to the core game in my opinion-the franchise mode.

Now, I'm just really sad and frustrated because something I've been eagerly waiting for over the last 10 months is a complete bust in my opinion. And I can't do anything about it, except bitch and return my game. Still, that's not gonna create the game I've been hoping for, and many ways expecting. Gah.
I have been wanting practice squads in madden for years now. It would have been easy to implement a practice squad in this years game. As long as stupid ****ing people keep buying this it wont change at all. I also wish there was more polish on the draft. Show some highlights of the top draft picks, etc. There are so many people who watch and follow the draft, why is this still the weakest part of madden?

Last edited by michigan21; 08-11-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

The only additions to Franchise mode I want to see are:

1. Practice Squad

2. Better Scouting

3. Make the draft more like the real thing....stretch it out to a half hour long with the option to skip all the cutscenes if you just wanna draft quickly.

4. Make Contract Negotiations so you ACTUALLY have to negotiate...

I realize most of those things were already mentioned in this thread...but really, those are all that's missing, at least until XBOX 360 comes out and they can put more on the disc

"Excuse me, but Hiphop these days, it don't enthuse me"

---Chino XL
Old 08-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #5
Straight Edge

DXZeke's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS-One
I realize most of those things were already mentioned in this thread...but really, those are all that's missing, at least until XBOX 360 comes out and they can put more on the disc
All I've got say to that is... they do have more room on the disc now. If they didn't have a DEMO for Burnout Revenge, then there'd be even more room.

They spent more time on Madden 360 this year. It's obvious. Kind of funny some of the bugs that they have in this years game that wasn't present in last years. It's crazy how they can junk of their code of a game they don't really touch each year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15
Location: Begins with a C, ends with an O and in the middle is HICAG.

I guess some people will never be happy.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
Rookie

sparkygman's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS-One
1. Practice Squad

2. Better Scouting

3. Make the draft more like the real thing....stretch it out to a half hour long with the option to skip all the cutscenes if you just wanna draft quickly.

4. Make Contract Negotiations so you ACTUALLY have to negotiate...
I agree with all these... But there is another thing they need to improve. Roster sizes - Let us be able to have larger roster in preseason and cut down to 53. Also, when you put someone on IR, it should free up a roster spot so we can sign someone to replace him.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheele8

Well said -- I still can't believe the salary cap is so screwed up -- the only way to make it realistic is to put artificial caps on yourself. Also, the art of negotiating is reduced to watching an interest bar on the top of the screen change from green to an empty box. And where are the performance incentives, balloon payments, and roster bonuses -- not to mention varying the salary demands based on an agent? I wish EA would just hire away a developer from Front Office Football -- I still use my 5-year old version of FOF to realistically manage a team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »