Home

done with the passing cone?

This is a discussion on done with the passing cone? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2005, 08:25 AM   #9
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: done with the passing cone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Yeah, I am done with the cone. It makes for way too many last second sacks like the original poster stated. I was getting pretty good completion percentages and TD:Int ratios, but was taking way too many sacks trying to position that thing just right. My completion percentage is about the same without it, but I get sacked fewer times.
Have you tried different sliders? If not you need to adjust some sliders if your getting sacked too much, you guy's may not like the cone passing because of getting sacked wich is understandable, with some sliders fixes you may be alright, just remember you just can't sit in the pocket all day, and if thats the way you like to play, by all means more power to you, the cone offers the most real to life play in a football game, I get sacked using the cone too, also thats because I'm in the pocket to long, and if your in the pocket to long in real life too, you will get sacked also. Throw the ball away if you feel pressure, I mean that is part of playing the QB in real life to, QB's throw the ball away quite a few times in the NFL when they feel pressure, that will keep the sacks stat down on you. I got used to the cone I can't play without it, yeah I get sacked and when I do it's all my fault, and it's funny cause when I do get sacked I know that I wasn't paying attetion to the blitz or I just was staying in the pocket to long. Using my sldiers I find that sacks on me are toned way down compared to when I first started playing Madden, it's also because I got used to the cone passing too...Well to each his own, whatever maked you enjoy the game more, thats the important part.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 08-18-2005, 08:31 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 6

My problem isn't that I don't like the cone. I think it's a great idea. I loved ESPN's passing control last year and this years Madden and Cone are even better than that.....

No... My problem is that at 45 yrs of age, my fingers won't keep up with my brain to hit all the buttons in the right order to make those throws before that last second sack...

That being said, I don't want to turn off the cone... I want my fingers to move faster... barring that... maybe slow the game speed down so I can keep up.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:51 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I like the fact that everyone complains EA doesn't integrate enough new, unique and realistic features designed to make the game sim-like and then once they do alot of the people complain it's too difficult to use and give up on it after a week. Isn't that awful hypocrticial LOL?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2005, 09:18 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 4

The control is a little Clunky. Here are 2 Suggestions that they should Implement for Next year If they Keep the Cone.

1) Right Stick Progesses thru your receivers b/c it is almost impossible if you have a small cone to get a moving receiver in your cone and keep them in the cone.

2) When using the R Trigger, You should be allowed to Continue to hold the R Trigger and pick the WR and Pass it to them. Meaning, I start with the cone down the Middle, but then when I go to throw, I (hold R trigger, Press B to choose B receiver, then you must release R trigger and then press B), sometimes I don't release the R trigger quick enough. It would be Best if you could Just throw the Ball when the WR is in your Cone WITHOUT having to relase the R Trigger. anyone else feel this way?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:57 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 12

Has anyone tried hittin the A button? I heard that its supposed to highlight the receiver most open. I tried it and it seems like it works most of the time.I also think that it depends on what side of the hash marks you are on. Sometimes the cone will point to out of bounds, maybe meaning "no ones open throw it away" but i think it still depends on the side. I had receivers open on the other side with the QB being far right and receiver far left but the cone will point to the sidelines.

Also if you push in the right thumbstick you can call bring up the playmaker while scrambling thing...some of this stuff people forget is in the game and thats why the cone frustrates them.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunelly
It would've been nice if switching recievers was toggle using the right analog stick.

snap ball. hit stick right, right, right. It would've really been scanning the field.

Give this man a gold star! Yes! That's the problem with the cone. Sure if you are a skilled gamer you may be able to master the sweeping the cone with the right thumbstick. But for the avg. shumuck it's rather difficult. A simple flick of the thumbstick as you described would be even better that the current alternative of holding the trigger and pressing the button twice. Your idea would create the same effect of "limiting" what the CPU QB is aware of while not further limiting the user by a "clunky" interface.

The idea behind the cone is great, but I think it could have been implemented in a couple of easier ways that would be more user friendly, yet accomplish the same goal. That's what all games need to be... user friendly.

Last edited by gooberstabone; 08-18-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:33 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I like the fact that everyone complains EA doesn't integrate enough new, unique and realistic features designed to make the game sim-like and then once they do alot of the people complain it's too difficult to use and give up on it after a week. Isn't that awful hypocrticial LOL?
It's not really hypocritical. They just want them to integrate new, unique and realistic features in a way that's not too difficult for the average joe to use.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #16
DickDalewood

OVR:

Yah, I really just don't see the passing cone feature sticking around... at least not in its current state. While scanning the field with the right stick is realistic, the lock on feature is not. To hold the right trigger, press b, then press b again to throw to that recieve just doesn't represent reality. The amount of time it takes to do that takes much longer than it would take an actuall quarterback to move his head or eyes progessively through his recievers. I mean, essentially, we are already doing that when we look at the screen, so it's almost like, I have to focus on my reciever, then make my quarterback do the same, THEN throw the pass.

Like I said before though, scanning the field seems more realistic, as I can move the cone while moving my eyes. It's a nice first attempt by EA, and I have no problems using it, because I really think they had the right idea, but I do think it overcomplicates things just a little bit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »