Home

Madden 06 sets opening week sales record

This is a discussion on Madden 06 sets opening week sales record within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Madden 06 sets opening week sales record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Well we dont know the exact scenario. If I'm going into a store and I asked a clerks opinion on a game, I pray that he does'nt sell me on the game even if it stinks. Which in most cases they do. I would like his honest opinion on the game and maybe see for myself.
That is true but there is a certain way you voice your opinion when you are asked that. I mean you can tell the customer what you prefer, and try and base all your opinions upon YOUR preferences. But when you tell the cutomer, this game sucks, don't get it...etc...that's different.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #34
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
So much for the "Madden Boycott", huh?
I didn't buy it.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 08-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #35
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

1. Well, when was the last time since licensing began that we only had one game to choose...

2. Voting between Madden and nothing is sorta unfair, but such is life...

3. LOL at the EA PR, if they get any better they'll be snatching the Pete Rozelle award right fom under some NFL team's nose.

4. In the end they did do something right. Axing the competition pays.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
That is how it works. EA already got paid. Now the store does what it can to make its money back from what they paid.
Not really, EB and Gamestop knows that if a certain game will not sell they will loss money tremendouslly in that kind of method. So what they would do is only pay the games that was sold and those that where not will go back. They probably pay each copy of Madden for like $15 to $20 dollars so each vendor can have there own special no matter how they wanted it. The only time EB or Gamestop will loss money is if they can't sell enough copies of games to support thier expenses and buying a used game from customers to name two.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:28 PM   #37

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
Not really, EB and Gamestop knows that if a certain game will not sell they will loss money tremendouslly in that kind of method. So what they would do is only pay the games that was sold and those that where not will go back. They probably pay each copy of Madden for like $15 to $20 dollars so each vendor can have there own special no matter how they wanted it. The only time EB or Gamestop will loss money is if they can't sell enough copies of games to support thier expenses and buying a used game from customers to name two.
When I worked at a game store, we were purchasing games from the vendors for around 40.00 a pop, so the stores really dont make much on new games at all, most of their profit comes from the used product they push, which is why they give such bad trade in value on a lot of games. In regards to sending the games back to the vendor if they dont sell, thats not true either, we were either stuck with them at the store level and trying to sell them at a reduced price or sending them back to corporate to then ship out to any stores that have had success selling that title in the past. Unless things have drastically changed in the last year, which I doubt it has then this is still the practiced method within the gaming video chains, but then again things could have changed I suppose.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
If GS or EB doesn't think a game will sell well enough, they just don't order a large amount of copies. They don't lose money because they don't buy 100 copies of a game when they will only sell 15.

The only reason I think this is how it is, is that when I played High Heat and called Gamestop to see if they had it on opening day, the guy told me "Yes, but we only got 3 copies so I can hold one of them for you". Obviously High Heat didn't sell as well as some of the other games so the store didn't order that many copies.

Like Pimping219 stated, they don't sell the games back. These places are stuck with games and is also why they try to push everyone to pre-order copies. It gives them more accurate numbers in terms of sales expected (not to mention previous years averages).
Old 08-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #39

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo
If GS or EB doesn't think a game will sell well enough, they just don't order a large amount of copies. They don't lose money because they don't buy 100 copies of a game when they will only sell 15.

The only reason I think this is how it is, is that when I played High Heat and called Gamestop to see if they had it on opening day, the guy told me "Yes, but we only got 3 copies so I can hold one of them for you". Obviously High Heat didn't sell as well as some of the other games so the store didn't order that many copies.

Like Pimping219 stated, they don't sell the games back. These places are stuck with games and is also why they try to push everyone to pre-order copies. It gives them more accurate numbers in terms of sales expected (not to mention previous years averages).
Almost forgot about that, very true, the stores dont order many copies of games they dont feel will sell well. I remember trying to get pretty much any of the 2k games and where I worked it either came down to waiting an extra week because they didnt feel like paying the extra money to get the overnight shipments or go somewhere else to get it, and then to top it off they would get them in and you would find out they only ordered 3 copies. Just to clarify, I worked for Game Crazy, and they are about as incompetant as it comes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »