Home

Almost seems like all the previews were sent to EA before publishing

This is a discussion on Almost seems like all the previews were sent to EA before publishing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
Almost seems like all the previews were sent to EA before publishing

Every preview I read I feel like I'm marketed to. If EA got to write these previews they'd look exactly like this. I have nothing against EA morally, this is just the result of a corporation being in a position that EA's in. Every site that writes about the game feels they can't do nothing but praise the visuals and then write a little something about gameplay (which comes out: "not perfect but will be").

IGN and other big sites definitely have a concretic vested interest to speak good about EA and keep good relations.

At this point I can say that I will buy Xbox 360 and Madden 06 for it cause I like Madden a lot and believe that 06 for 360 will be a good game. I just hate how this marketing works and how EA works. What's there for me to care if I like the game? Well I fear the results of a monopoly status that EA's getting here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Almost seems like all the previews were sent to EA before publishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Monkey
Every preview I read I feel like I'm marketed to. If EA got to write these previews they'd look exactly like this. I have nothing against EA morally, this is just the result of a corporation being in a position that EA's in. Every site that writes about the game feels they can't do nothing but praise the visuals and then write a little something about gameplay (which comes out: "not perfect but will be").

IGN and other big sites definitely have a concretic vested interest to speak good about EA and keep good relations.

At this point I can say that I will buy Xbox 360 and Madden 06 for it cause I like Madden a lot and believe that 06 for 360 will be a good game. I just hate how this marketing works and how EA works. What's there for me to care if I like the game? Well I fear the results of a monopoly status that EA's getting here.
I wouldn't say IGN has spoken all that great about EA in this particular instance. Read the story "X05: The Big Picture" in the Xbox 360 section (also posted on this forum), and the person had nothing at all good to say about the EA Sports lineup.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 21

EA has been using Jon Robinson to get their word out for years. If he does the 360 review, it might as well be written by someone from EA. I wonder if he gets a turkey from them at thanksgiving and a nice little something at christmas. Whoever he is, I think he might be going by a different alias over at IGN here recently. Maybe after all of these years someone has finally told him that he gets called out on these boards for his garbage reviews.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Every site that writes about the game feels they can't do nothing but praise the visuals and then write a little something about gameplay (which comes out: "not perfect but will be").
How can you say what the person writing the preview feels ??? I remember Triple Play a while back got a "3.8" from IGN......... IF EA or anyone else releases a crappy game, it will get a crappy review.

Quote:

why? how does IGN or anyone else need EA ??
Old 10-14-2005, 08:16 PM   #5
All Star

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelfan71
why? how does IGN or anyone else need EA ??
Because IGN makes money based on how many people read their stuff. If they bad-mouth EA, it's a lot less likely that they get early copies and exclusive opportunities, leading readers to look to other sites for information. Say what you want about review scores, but you can't deny that it's in IGN's best interests to give game companies the best press possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelfan71
how does IGN or anyone else need EA ??
I remember going to IGN the week that Live came out and there was an advertisement/banner for Live that literally took up 1/3 of the screen. That's real money in IGN's pocket from EA. Not to be an a**, but do you really not understand the concept that, if EA games sell well and EA advertises on IGN, both of those parties stand to win with better than deserved reviews? Do you remember any of the payola scandals in the radio industry?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:01 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

I definitley only find partial truth in this entire argument.

Those of you that have paid attention, IGN was sold to a separate company based in Australia or something like that for TONS of money. Though I forget the exact figures.

They didn't sell that high because of EA, or any other single gaming company. They sold that high because of Insiders and tons of visitors as well as advertisements on their site that are seen by all these visitors.

EA needs IGN to preview their games because they need to get the word out on the game, regardless what type of score the game recieves. So regardless of the scores given to EA's games, they will continue to send pre-release builds of games to IGN so that the word can spread.

EA relies more on IGN, than IGN relies on EA.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:02 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

This conspiracy theory notion that EA would pay IGN or anyone else to write something makes about as much sense as 2k Sports being behind all bad EA reviews because they have paid the writers due to their anger in losing of the NFL exclusive contract.

Ya can't have it both ways guys...Something bad is written then all of a sudden your in agreeement that the game sucks...Something good is written then all of a sudden IGN is being paid off...LMAO..Pure comedy.

BTW...My motto is now "lets all complain...WHEN WE HAVE SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »