Home

Almost seems like all the previews were sent to EA before publishing

This is a discussion on Almost seems like all the previews were sent to EA before publishing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2005, 09:50 AM   #9
All Star

OVR: 32
Re: Almost seems like all the previews were sent to EA before publishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHelix
EA needs IGN to preview their games because they need to get the word out on the game, regardless what type of score the game recieves. So regardless of the scores given to EA's games, they will continue to send pre-release builds of games to IGN so that the word can spread.

EA relies more on IGN, than IGN relies on EA.
Not really. EA could easily send their early builds to Gamespot or any other site instead.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
I remember going to IGN the week that Live came out and there was an advertisement/banner for Live that literally took up 1/3 of the screen. That's real money in IGN's pocket from EA. Not to be an a**, but do you really not understand the concept that, if EA games sell well and EA advertises on IGN, both of those parties stand to win with better than deserved reviews? Do you remember any of the payola scandals in the radio industry?
No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

At this point, IGN has become MASSIVE. People will go to that website whether they get early builds of EA Games or not. And if they DON'T get early builds of EA Games, they won't write about them, which means they'll write MORE about OTHER games, which means that THOSE are the games people will buy.

And EA advertising on IGN has absolutely NOTHING to do with how IGN reviews EA's games. No journalist with any amount of integrity would sway his review or opinion because of advertising dollars.

Do you think the columnists at the NY Post take it easy on the Yankees, just because the Yankees advertise ticket sales in their paper? Hell no!! And do the Yankees REALLY NEED the NY Post to write about them? Hell no!! But do they threaten to revoke their media credentials? If they did, they'd be the laughing stock of sports.

Oh....and this has NOTHING to do with payola. Again, you simply have no idea what you're talking about. If you'd like, I could explain payola, but that's not what this thread is about. Payola is MUCH MUCH different than what you're wrongfully accusing IGN of doing.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXLT
Not really. EA could easily send their early builds to Gamespot or any other site instead.

that would hurt EA more than IGN. No way would they do that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
All Star

OVR: 32

Do you really think that are many if any Madden fans who base their purchase on IGN's previews? The casual fans buy the game anyway, and the hardcore fans are willing to look elsewhere for information.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:39 PM   #13
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
And EA advertising on IGN has absolutely NOTHING to do with how IGN reviews EA's games. No journalist with any amount of integrity would sway his review or opinion because of advertising dollars.
I agree w/your statement 100%. But maybe that's what GHobbes was hinting at - maybe they're actually not journalists. I've always wondered that myself. The system of checks and balances that you described with the relationship between the Yankees and the NY Post, or the Government and the Washington Post for example, largely doesn't exist in the videogame world. Which is suprising, given that it's a multi-billion dollar industry that rivals movies in terms of revenue. You can open the NY Post and generally feel you're going to get an unbiased viewpoint. Do you get a truly unbiased opinion/comment from IGN or Gamespot? That's debateable.

I think the videogame press has far greater dependency on the subject it's supposed to cover than the NY Post has a dependency on the Yankees imo. If a company like Nabisco had sub-standard/unsanitary working conditions for it's workers, I have confidence the NY Post or Washington Post would give honest commentary on it. You wouldn't have the either newspaper justifying it from big business's standpoint. Quite the opposite in the videogame press. There was no alarm or sense of urgency expressed when these exclusivity deals started going down. "It's just business, sucks to be a consumer" seemed to be the general view expressed.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:20 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 21

TJSportsGuy,

You know, I generally find that people who boldly state that others have no idea what they're talking about, usually are too simple minded to bother arguing with, because there is nothing I can say to change their opinion.

So I'll just leave it at, I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:14 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Monkey
Every preview I read I feel like I'm marketed to. If EA got to write these previews they'd look exactly like this. I have nothing against EA morally, this is just the result of a corporation being in a position that EA's in. Every site that writes about the game feels they can't do nothing but praise the visuals and then write a little something about gameplay (which comes out: "not perfect but will be").

IGN and other big sites definitely have a concretic vested interest to speak good about EA and keep good relations.

At this point I can say that I will buy Xbox 360 and Madden 05 for it cause I like Madden a lot and believe that 06 for 360 will be a good game. I just hate how this marketing works and how EA works. What's there for me to care if I like the game? Well I fear the results of a monopoly status that EA's getting here.
EA puts alot of fear/influence on alot of company's..take EGM and GamePro magazines just to name two examples..both mags said in their football reviews/previews that Madden 2005 graphics were better then ESPN 2K5 graphics. That was down right laughable when i read that and at the same time..really pissed me off. I just dont like it when big company's such as EA can put that much fear or influence on other company's to the point where that "other" company will go so low as to lie to us consumers....

EA does alot alot of things right for the gamer but on the other hand..there massive size and money pockets hurt us gamers as well one way or another.

EA and Sony "playstation consoles" both do alot of dirty work when it comes to their customers and their marketing towards us...and i dont appreciate it but im smart enough to see their sly tactics so i suppose it dont matter to me personally.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »