Home

360 player editing?? Yay or Nay?

This is a discussion on 360 player editing?? Yay or Nay? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #41
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: 360 player editing?? Yay or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyballgame
But it makes sense from a business stand point, they didnt allow this, so you have to buy madden 2007. Smart move by EA on thats aspect...
Somewhat true but how many Madden players don't buy the next version because they downloaded updated rosters? Most guys that have a max drive/action replay are the sports nuts who always buy the next game regardless. I don't think removing this feature would really touch next year's sales figures.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #42
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
But as good as Madden 360 looks graphics mean little if there is no substance.

(icicle22 signs off with a whimper....)
There would still be “substance”… just substance as defined by EA. And I see this in all sorts of games now, and in particular FPS’s. You have to play through the game at some pre-determined default difficulty level – no ability to change it. Plus all sense of free-roaming is removed: you move to the next fight or level, only after you’ve completed some specific and pre-programmed situation or task. It’s more like playing a scripted movie than an open-ended video game.

Who knows? Maybe this is along the lines of what EA sees for Madden next-gen: no ability to change the teams and players, in order to mimic real-life. Tom Brady will be rated a 94 this year, period, because that’s how his real-life counterpart plays according to some EA programming decision. So you can’t change the “scripted football movie” EA has created to entertain the gaming masses. And that’s what a lot of these games are coming down to: “entertainment”, and not “gaming”. If fact, that’s exactly what next-gen gaming and consoles are targeting: the entertainment dollar. No doubt many if not most next-gen games will reflect that reality as well.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #43
Th* *c*m*n!

ronnyballgame's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
Maybe. But for me I am likely to skip it because of this missing feature. I remember the dark ages before player editing. I had to play my friends as other teams in order to be competetive. I am a die-hard browns fan and want to take the field with my team. But my buddy is a Steelers fan and can whip me up one side and down the other with ease because the players abilities of the Steelers dwarf my players (they should be better but how EA makes players perform bad to get a losing team is wack!). So to have a fun competetive game I have to be the Patriots or Eagles or some other team I really could care less about.

I know to some that is not an issue. Since ESPN 2k5 is going strong with all of the rosters and tweaks I can live with it and get my footbal fix for this year. Sad. But as good as Madden 360 looks graphics mean little if there is no substance.

(icicle22 signs off with a whimper....)

I agree with you on that, but if your Browns stink, they shouldnt be competitive with the Steelers. Like, if they make every team the same, that wouldn't be fun football. Like I am a Cowboys fan, and when we play, say Arizona, we should shut them down almost everytime we play them. But when I play against the Eagles I want a tough close game, like they usually are. I don't want to see the Browns house the Steel curtain like 42-3 bro, I am sorry. That wouldn't make this game a sim, if 4 win teams dominated 12 win teams. No offense, your Browns are a joke, and you should get housed if you play with them!
Florida State Seminoles

Rider Broncs- Graduated
LaSalle Explorers- Attaining Master's

Playing: FN4 UFC 2009, Tiger 10
Waiting: NCAA 2010, Madden 10, NHL 10
Old 11-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #44
Th* *c*m*n!

ronnyballgame's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Somewhat true but how many Madden players don't buy the next version because they downloaded updated rosters? Most guys that have a max drive/action replay are the sports nuts who always buy the next game regardless. I don't think removing this feature would really touch next year's sales figures.
There is a small portion I would assume that don't buy back to back versions, and just update rosters and rookies. I am just saying, since most people, like myself, purchased Madden 2006 for the Xbox/Ps2, and will purchase the 360 version. And if they let us edit players and create them, and games are 63 bucks now, a lot of people may hold off on buying the game(i.e guys like us, the minority), and will just tweak the rosters to next year. Coz I have a feeling next year, the big improvement might just be presentation, coz ESPN will be on board, but thats just me!
Florida State Seminoles

Rider Broncs- Graduated
LaSalle Explorers- Attaining Master's

Playing: FN4 UFC 2009, Tiger 10
Waiting: NCAA 2010, Madden 10, NHL 10
Old 11-04-2005, 11:59 AM   #45
Banned

Quote:
I agree with you on that, but if your Browns stink, they shouldnt be competitive with the Steelers.

I don't want to see the Browns house the Steel curtain like 42-3 bro, I am sorry. That wouldn't make this game a sim, if 4 win teams dominated 12 win teams. No offense, your Browns are a joke, and you should get housed if you play with them!
The day I let some DF game programmer determine how my team plays, by preventing me from editing their attributes and ratings, is the day I go back to EB and lie and plead with them to take the game back, even though it’s been opened: “Because you see I thought it was that new whorehouse game “Madam”, but I mistakenly bought “Madden” instead.”
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
“Because you see I thought it was that new whorehouse game “Madam”, but I mistakenly bought “Madden” instead.”
BTW: The game “Madam” features the voice acting of John Madden as whorehouse owner “Jacqueline Madam”, along with Al Michaels as “Dink the Pimp”. EA didn’t quite know what to do with those two, given their reduced role in the upcoming Madden next-gen series, so they just created a whole new game for them.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #47
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I agree with you on that, but if your Browns stink, they shouldnt be competitive with the Steelers. Like, if they make every team the same, that wouldn't be fun football. Like I am a Cowboys fan, and when we play, say Arizona, we should shut them down almost everytime we play them. But when I play against the Eagles I want a tough close game, like they usually are. I don't want to see the Browns house the Steel curtain like 42-3 bro, I am sorry. That wouldn't make this game a sim, if 4 win teams dominated 12 win teams. No offense, your Browns are a joke, and you should get housed if you play with them!
Does the term " on any given Sunday" mean anything. The truth is that the level of athletes in the NFL makes it so that a 4 win team can beat a 12 win team sometimes. And just to be clear.....who said anything about the browns "housing" the steel curtain 42-3. I am talking about this.

Hines Ward can catch a pass and pull away from all of my secondary. Dennis Northcutt can catch the same pass and get caught from behind by a Defensive lineman. Is that realistic? No...just because some shmo at EA determined that the Browns suck so they have to make the players suck to achieve this. The truth is that really good players can not "gel" and therefore lose a lot of games as a team. But that doesn't make a fast player become a slow player. It does on Madden and ESPN and most games. We could always tweak that before. Not now.

For the record I boost the Browns just to a respectable level. So I can compete. The truth is I like to have really close battles. Who wants to always play your buddy and get the snot kicked out of you every frickin time! You either force your buddy to pick a weaker team or you have to pick a better team to compete. That's how it was in the "old days"...for years we had options. Now EA takes that away.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:29 PM   #48
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

On another note in the "dark ages" of Madden when the Browns sucked I could at least pick to play my buddies as a "classic" browns team.....1964....1986-87.......I could do that I guess.....

Oh wait.......

No classic teams either! Darn those jolly EA programmers! what else can they leave out?

I can live with them ommiting some features as they move to next gen. But the list is getting so long that it is outweighing the benefits of the 360 version for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »