Home

Too Much Negativity.

This is a discussion on Too Much Negativity. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 11:37 AM   #65
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Too Much Negativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34
As far as the exclusive contract goes, after this happened there was an interview with an EA rep (on IGN or gamespot, can't remember) who said that they'd been going after an exclusive license with the NFL for several years, but they'd never been open to the idea until last year. So they opened it up for bidding, just to see how much they could get. And of course, EA won, lol.

So to say they should be cut some slack because the NFL offered up an exclusive deal is bull in my opinion. It was their idea, and they're the ones that wanted it.

Taylor34
Oh, I have no doubt EA lobbied for it well before it went up for bid. Likewise, nobody twisted the NFL's arm either. I think it would be a mistake, however, to imply it's ALL EA's fault for the exclusivity, just as it would be to say it's all the NFL's doing. It's all about balanced perspectives, that's all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #66
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
perhaps EA could have a chat session with OS and answer some questions. It would go along way to understanding "what happened".
Anyways here's to hoping Madden 2007 is a great game.
Skyboxer,

I can't say I'd readily agree with EVERYTHING you said in your post above, but I like that part. One can never get too much information.

Look all, my point is simply this: there seem to be a lot of people who've drawn conclusions about the why's and wherefore's of Madden on the 360, yet have no more or less information than I do about the reasons. I'm willing to admit, I don't know why certain aspects of the game are the way they are. But I also believe it's short-sighted to assume the absolute worst just because I didn't get what I hoped for. Again, it's about balanced perspectives. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle? I don't know, but some of you sure do appear to get threatened if someone questions your access to EA's development meetings. Easy tigers.

When you post something like I did in my original post, you expect to get the usual "making excuses", "settling for complacency" responses like I did. And I'm ok with that, we're just coming from different viewpoints. If you disagree with me, I'm not threatened by that. More power to ya.

To those of you who disagreed and responded with reasoned, articulated posts, I wish you well and have fun.

Last edited by Flamehead; 11-20-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #67
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
Skyboxer,

I can't say I'd readily agree with EVERYTHING you said in your post above, but I like that part. One can never get too much information.

Look all, my point is simply this: there seem to be a lot of people who've drawn conclusions about the why's and wherefore's of Madden on the 360, yet have no more or less information than I do about the reasons. I'm willing to admit, I don't know why certain aspects of the game are the way they are. But I also believe it's short-sighted to assume the absolute worst just because I didn't get what I hoped for. Again, it's about balanced perspectives. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle? I don't know, but some of you sure do appear to get threatened if someone questions your access to EA's development meetings. Easy tigers.

When you post something like I did in my original post, you expect to get the usual "making excuses", "settling for complacency" responses like I did. And I'm ok with that, we're just coming from different viewpoints. If you disagree with me, I'm not threatened by that. More power to ya.

To those of you who disagreed and responded with reasoned, articulated posts, I wish you well and have fun.
I think EVERYONE just wants a great game. It's just uncanny how a great deal of the things that were "predicted" would happen after EA got the exclusive deal actually came true.
When the deal happened the EA faithful claimed we would get a be all end all game from EA and they would be creative since they had the exclusives. That obviously hasn't happened so the same group of faithful resorted to the typical excuses for EA.
While those disappointed with the exclusive deal sit back and see almost step by step the fears come true.
No competition= No advances. Certainly nothing remotely justifying 59.99.
Again if EA had just fixed a couple issued. The "glitch" , Mario running, suction blocking etc in this "from the ground up" game there wouldn't be near the amount of dissapointed gamers.
However not one was addressed at all, and in fact features in the game for years not were not implemented and so on and so on.
IMO, again IMO, If VC was still in the mix there's no way in he!! EA releases this game in this condition and IF they would have, I seriously doubt it would have been at the inflated 59.99 price tag.
I really would love to have an EA chat session just to hear thier thoughts and where they see the future of Madden heading, next year, not 2010.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #68
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I really would love to have an EA chat session just to hear thier thoughts and where they see the future of Madden heading, next year, not 2010.
Agreed. This would be a good thing.

Take care Sky.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #69
MVP

Kodiak33's Arena

OVR: 8

What really bugs me is the fact that EA took features out of every game! Tiger 06, Madden, Live, FIFA, etc. all have most of the features taken out. I would understand if it was one game, but it was all of the sports games. Pretty sneaky if you ask me...

Oh, one more question...are the new PC games coming out next year (07) going to have these graphics...or are they going to be like Xbox/PS2?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #70
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34
As far as the exclusive contract goes, after this happened there was an interview with an EA rep (on IGN or gamespot, can't remember) who said that they'd been going after an exclusive license with the NFL for several years, but they'd never been open to the idea until last year. So they opened it up for bidding, just to see how much they could get. And of course, EA won, lol.

So to say they should be cut some slack because the NFL offered up an exclusive deal is bull in my opinion. It was their idea, and they're the ones that wanted it.

Taylor34
So, we should ignore the Sega attempts to secure the license, the Microsoft attempts to secure the license, and Sony's attempt to secure the license? You are sadly out of the loop if you think EA was the only company with eyes on an exclusive license over the last 10 years.

Should EA be cut some slack because the NFL made the approach? No, of course not. A lot of responsibility comes with that exclusivity. But EA had a choice to bid or lose it. Do you think any of the NFL football publishers would have refused the offer? For that, yes, EA should be cut some slack.

Old 11-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #71
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
So, we should ignore the Sega attempts to secure the license, the Microsoft attempts to secure the license, and Sony's attempt to secure the license? You are sadly out of the loop if you think EA was the only company with eyes on an exclusive license over the last 10 years.

Should EA be cut some slack because the NFL made the approach? No, of course not. A lot of responsibility comes with that exclusivity. But EA had a choice to bid or lose it. Do you think any of the NFL football publishers would have refused the offer? For that, yes, EA should be cut some slack.
What attempts? There are no documented attempts by any of the those companies as far as I know before the NFL one. On the other hand, EA had already previously gotten the NASCAR, FIFA, and PGA exclusive license before the NFL.

Taylor34
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #72
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
I cannot believe how ignorant some of you are.

There are some here who sound like 15 year olds who think they have XYZ figured out, but in reality don't have a clue. As a result, they throw hissy fits like some spoiled little child.

1) EA didn't "monopolize the NFL gaming industry" as some of you say. The NFL made it clear they wanted an exclusive contract with somebody first. EA ponied up because they have the funds and resources to outbid everyone else.
Wrong. The NFL "made it clear" once they realized that the NFLPA was on the verge of securing what was at the time rumored to be a billion dollar deal with Electronic Arts, after years of unsuccessful overtures to the league itself. This was widely speculated, and the negotiations were confirmed in several sports industry trade mags in April 04. Once the NFL realized that the players would make insane money on the deal, and that they would get nothing out of an NFL licensed non-EA game without real players, they re-thought their no exclusivity stance. Gotta do yor homework before you say how "ignorant" we are, 'kay?

Quote:
2) It is well-documented that Microsoft sent out the final development kits late. Who's to say how or if this impacted various developers? Were you at the development meetings?
Dont be naive, friend. VC was able to implement certain features 2 years ago on old tech from the ground up with 1 year dev time!!!! ONE!!! 2k3 was a mess, IMO...the only year in the current gen that me and my buddys preferred Madden over 2K. Then, in the space of ONE YEAR, they add realistic 2-man LINKABLE blocking interactions and an unmatched tackling system, also linkable. Then, for 2K5 they re-wrote the graphics library from the ground up, again, in ONE YEAR. Late dev kits?...LOL. Don't want to hear it. Development doesn't BEGIN with the dev kits! The code and engine development begins years in advance on their own workstations. If they PLANNED to remove suction blocking, suction blocking would be gone. I wasn't at the meetings..didn't need to be. Thats common sense.

Quote:
3) I'd bet most of you have no idea what goes into producing these games. Do you know what goes into producing these things? Were you at the development meetings when they decided what they'd put in and why they did or didn't? But you've got it all figured out, don't you?
Wow, thats cliche. The old "how do you know what really goes on?" argument is weak. WEAK!

Quote:
4) Many of you seemed to have conveniently forgotten that just as NFL 2kx did some good things well, they also had glaring holes in their gameplay and other issues of their own. But I guess before the exclusive contract was given to EA, the NFL 2kx developers wanted to keep you coming back for more in hopes those issues would fixed too, huh?
There's a distinct difference between an error and an omission. 2K certainly had flaws, the frustrating DB AI being one for sure. HOWEVA, 2k innovated realistic physics, interactions, and presentation aspects that Madden didn't even ATTEMPT!!!! You can't name one meat and potato football mechanic that didn't obliterate Tiburons efforts. 3 Jukes? Try 8 Jukes that can be buffered and linked. Please. If Madden 360 had gang tackling that looked a little off, I'd still be ecstatic. At least they would be, IMO, heading in the right direction...showing me that they're at least ATTEMPTING to implement physics that should by now be considered standard. Everyone here is giving EA flack for being behind, not for failing to be perfect. There is a distinct difference.

Quote:
5) Even if EA did put out a "perfect game", those of you complaining right now would still complain about something because a) you can't help yourself, or b) in some infantile way you think it's cool to be critical for the sake of being critical.
Wow. Thats cliche. The old "even if it were perfect, you'd hate it" argument is weak. WEAK! I've said it a million times. EVERY SINGLE 2K FAN WAS AT SOME POINT A MADDEN FANATIC. Think about that.

Quote:
You guys have every right to come to these boards and say whatever you want, it's a free country. But based on some of these posts, I'm led to believe some of you wouldn't know perspective if it came up and slapped you in the face.
Uhhh...thanks for giving us all perspective...Bwaaaahaaahaaa

Quote:
Just remember this: noone's forcing you to shell out money for this game.
Wrong. Our love for NFL football is forcing us to by this game...This ONE gotdamnned NFL football game. The fact that we've been enjoying video game football for 16 years now is forcing us to buy this game. The fact that our boys all hang out and play football while smoking/drinking beers on the weekends is forcing us to buy this game. The fact that we love tracking our video game stats as much as the real life stats is forcing us to buy this game...starting to get the picture? Video football is part of our LIFESTYLE, friend. The "well just don't buy it" plea is just plain tired. Please stop.

Quote:
But in spite of the wealth of information that's been out for months already, some of you who are seething about this version will buy it anyway and then twist it around by saying "I paid for this game so I have every right to complain". If you bought this game already not liking it or unsure, then that's your problem. You have every opportunity to go into your purchase with eyes wide open. The fact that you're reading this is proof you can do a search and get a good idea of what this game does.

How much simpler can it get? Don't like what you're hearing from the previews or user reviews? Don't get it. Move on and we'll see you next year. And if my words offend anyone, well, if the shoe fits...
No ones offended "Flamehead" my friend,...these wars have been waging for years, we're all verterans here. We are going to buy Madden, we are for the most part going to enjoy Madden...But we're also going to call out Madden on its shortcomings, and with glee..because EA decided that we should only get to play and critique their game. Again, if you don't want to hear it, head on over to MaddenMania..you'll get all the "unbiased" Madden talk you can stand.

Anyway, we're not really ignorant, bro... welcome to our little club!

Last edited by HMcCoy; 11-20-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »