Home

For those playing without an HDTV.

This is a discussion on For those playing without an HDTV. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: For those playing without an HDTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
Or they just think that SD looks alright if you have a decent set and that the HD people feel a need to insist that everyone needs the absolute highest end equipment otherwise they're missing something.

I tend to think the people touting the quality of HD are people who want to justify overpaying for it.
Buy & 360 or PS3, hype it up, tell me how much you like them, & I'll tell you, you are just trying to justify your expensive purchase.. It's a lame argument to begin with.. ppl can't be amazed by HD, they only do it cause they need to justify their purchase.. & you can get a great 26inch Wide screen HDTV for 400.00.. The same price as a prem Xbox360..

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
headphones: Balanced Sony SA5000/Sen 650 AKG 340
Old 11-30-2005, 10:59 PM   #58
Pro

OVR: 8

personally, I think spending over $200 on a t.v. is a bit crazy, but that's just me....and that's just America.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:17 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep
personally, I think spending over $200 on a t.v. is a bit crazy, but that's just me....and that's just America.
It really just depends on how much you use it. If you watch 2 hours of TV a week and play 2 hours of video games then yeah i'd say anything over $200 is kind of a waste of money. But if you play alot of games and/or watch alot of TV then i'd say you should definitely spend what you feel reasonable to make that worthy of your time.

As for HDTV owners having to "justify their purchase"...LOL...that is simply laughable. I paid $800 for my 30" HDTV which a mere few years ago is about what a regular non-HDTV cost and is really not that much for something I will own and use quite a bit for years to come.

bkrich83 is right, once you watch HDTV sports programming then having to watch standard TV is downright painful. That aspect alone is worth the cost, let alone the massive increase in graphics that the gaming will get you. And yeah I guess you could say it's not worth it but then you could also argue that getting around town in a 1972 rusted out Rambler is just as effective as jetting around in a 2005 Porsche 911 because both get you from point A to point B right?

But cmon, get real, unless you're half blind (which I believe some of you who say there isn't "that much difference from HDTV to standard TV" might very well be), poor as a church mouse or simply don't play much games/watch much tv then you owe it to yourself to seriously consider an HDTV set, even if it's a cheaper one (and yeah they have gotten affordable for most people now). I mean think about it, alot of you probably spend 20-30 hours a week looking into your TV, it makes sense to have the Ferrari instead of putting around in the Rambler.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 12-01-2005, 01:20 AM   #60
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep
It's about what we like.. I think spending 200.00 on a stand is a bit crazy... Again, its about what we like.. Obviously, PQ isn't a main priority to you since you'll only spend under 200.0 for a tv.. I spent 2,066 on my TV.. guess that makes me nuts..

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
Old 12-01-2005, 07:14 AM   #61
Rookie

GoBigOrange's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Those who bought HDTV's specifically for their 360, IMO brought them for all the WRONG reasons. The Full capabilities of this machine are @ least 1-2 years away. If you expected JAW-DROPPING GRAPHICS @ LAUNCH you were doing yourself a dis-service. HDTV is a whole new TV experience. Once YOU begin watching HD signals on your TV you'll never want to watch SDTV.

BTW if you want to see some nice graphics, go into the 360 Live Arcade & Download (Bejeweled&Bankshot Billiards2)
You hit the nail on the head.

Please visit my website at footballjunkie.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm really behind on the HDTV craze, along with plasma and lcd tv. I want to buy an HDTV, but I see some with plasma, and some with lcd. Does this matter? Are plasmas better than lcds in terms of picture quality? What if you;re a big TV watcher, do plasmas burn out relatively quickly? Also, I see some HDTVs' have HDTV built-in, while others say HDTV ready. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #63
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikman08
I'm really behind on the HDTV craze, along with plasma and lcd tv. I want to buy an HDTV, but I see some with plasma, and some with lcd. Does this matter? Are plasmas better than lcds in terms of picture quality? What if you;re a big TV watcher, do plasmas burn out relatively quickly? Also, I see some HDTVs' have HDTV built-in, while others say HDTV ready. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
I've heard alot of differing things but I do know that CRT is great for gaming and much cheaper than LCD/Plasma/DLP too but the sets only go up to 40" and also are insane heavy and big. I have a 30" widescreen CRT HDTV Samsung and it's great for the bedroom.

As for the other technologies, i've heard alot as I said but i've heard from more people that DLP is the way to go for gaming if you want a big time tv. That is what I plan to buy when I get my living room tv.

As for having the HD built in or it being HD ready....basically if you have Comcast or such that can provide you with an HD capable box you don't need the HD tuner built in. Having it built in just allows you to receive over the air HD signals (if it's available in your area) to get the basics like ABC, CBS, NBC, etc for free. I have an HD Tuner built in to my set but since I have Comcast digital HD box it goes unused.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 12-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #64
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikman08
Yes, plasmas are better.. They are more CRT like which is a good thing..

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »