Home

walk the walk and talk the talk

This is a discussion on walk the walk and talk the talk within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
walk the walk and talk the talk

how about a bunch of people (hardcore gamers get together and start out own company we can create our own football game we would have so much time 2 work on it b/c we cant put 1 out until 2009 or and wat not so how about it 3 yrs of hard work and deciation we can give ea a rival 4 da yrs 2 come n 2010 and so on
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: walk the walk and talk the talk

I've often said I would like to work on a sports game. I've even posted a few diffrent programs you can use to make games. I doubt that anyone has the spare time to help work on one. I'd do a 2D football for starters. If you're interested, let me know. Hows that for walk the walk....
Old 04-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21

All the millions of copies sold but what is EA doing with the cash ?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060426-6685.html

If we start a company we gotta pay the programmers. Whats up with EA ?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by datdudebob
how about a bunch of people (hardcore gamers get together and start out own company we can create our own football game we would have so much time 2 work on it b/c we cant put 1 out until 2009 or and wat not so how about it 3 yrs of hard work and deciation we can give ea a rival 4 da yrs 2 come n 2010 and so on
Not to rain on your parade but seriously if you're starting from scratch with no prior experience it's going ottake you A LOT more than 3 to 4 years to make a football game, especially if the point is to make one that is realistic for the hardcore gamer.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

If we had the knowledge and money to make this happen, I would love to be a part of this in any way.

You all realize that programming is very complicated, especially when you are dealing with AI. I have done some programming for my job (a financial institution) and it is hard enough to deal with those programs, so I could imagine what it would take to program a football game.

I was actually thinking about attending the following institute online : http://www.gameinstitute.com/courses...ursedisplay=44.

Since I am 31 and have a family, it was going to be more of a hobby than a career. Unfortunately, from what I understand, it is very difficult to get started in the game industry. Not to mention the huge pay cut I would have to take until I gained the experience to make serious money.

Heck, if we have enough serious people involved, maybe would could set up an account with this institute and learn together. It would be an uphill battle, but Rome was not built in a day!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 11

Hey, I am almost done with my IS degree and have a little experience programming. I also have a desire to see a realistic and fully customizable football sim with a 3D game engine. If anything ever becomes of this, mark me down.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

If this materializes, I'm an aspiring computer science major at UVA. I'm somewhat interested.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
If this materializes, I'm an aspiring computer science major at UVA. I'm somewhat interested.
That's the thing. Being somewhat interested and having a little experience programming will not get you guys very far if you ever decide to tackle this seriously. There is a pretty wide margin between programming a bit for fun or as a hobby and full scale application development. The step from that to anythig involving A.I. is even steeper. Teams of guys that are paid full time and work crazy overtime haven't been able to satisfy the hardcore gamer. I don't see how those gamers can pool their minds and limited financial and programming ressources and get it done. I'm sure some will say well if we divide up the work and have hundreds of hardcore gamers each doing their part it could work but it doesn't work that way in software development. You reach a limit to how much the work can be divided and once you're there splitting even more results in more problems and longer dev time.

IMO, the problem is not the programmers but rather the execs who don't believe in spending money to create the ultimate realistic football game and on top of that designers (these guys don't code BTW, many don't know that) who do not know how to approach it. Being an AI genius won't get you far if you don't know football. So to me your best bet would be to pool your resources and build a strong case for why a realistic football game would be a good investment and why guys like you should be consulted for your knowledge of a) football and b) What the hardcore gamer wants. You should have surveys, market research, petitions etc.

Essentially, you have a better chance of getting professionals to make the game you want by convincing their bosses/companies that it would be profitable to make the game you want than you have of making such a game yourselves. Contrary to popular belief, the problem with current games is not developper laziness or lack of talent but exeutive decisions. Developpers would much rather work on something groundbreaking and challenging than the minor improvements they are told to shell out each year I'm sure. I know I would.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »