Home

Passing Cone

This is a discussion on Passing Cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Passing Cone

Although I enjoyed very little about Madden this year, I must admit that the passing cone idea was very good. This is the only feature that I thought should remain in the upcoming Madden games. Now, I have read most of the posts pertaining to this topic and it seems that the hardcore gamers would like to see this feature improved rather than it be regulated to default status. The feature did cut down on some of the cheese online, and for that alone, I think that it should be improved upon rather than placed on the bench. EA finally thought outside of the box, and I was pleasantly surprised.

The concept of the cone is great, and like many of you have stated, the implementation needs to be improved upon. Being a former defensive back, depending on what type of coverage you are in, some of us did take advantage of those QB's that locked onto one receiver. That was the first thing that the coach would have us DB's look at in the film room, if they saw that a QB had a tendency to do it. But, the flipside to that was those QB's that bated you in by staring down a receiver and then throwing it to someone else (free safety nightmare).

Ask any defensive player and they would tell you that if you get pressure on any QB, he does not have the time to make his progressions, and that is why I like the cone. Although it needs much improvement, it does simulate how a QB scans the field (if given time). I think that the QB's cone should expand for those QB's that are hot in a game, and it should decrease for good QB's that are cold. For those of you who think that a QB is able to see all of his receivers on the field at the same time, have been playing Madden too long. You Ex QB's know that is impossible (most of the time). On most plays, there is a receiver that is open and the QB just did not see him, or did not have the time to look his way.

I guess I still have a defensive mentality (kill the QB--lol), and the cone was a welcomed addition to the game in my opinion. For those that disagree, I understand your opinion; but try and scan the field with 6'6 offensive linemen in front of you, while 260-350 pound defensive lineman are running at you with 4.5 to 5.5 40 speed, and tell me how many receivers you are able to locate and throw an accurate pass to. That is the main reason why I liked the cone because if you get pressure on the QB, you had to make a quick read, and live with it; no more Super Madden QB's that can throw dimes to everyone on the field. EA should have focused on fixing that instead of adding a bowling feature. What does bowling have to do with football? I guess that I am too old to understand some of these new features. Just give me realism. Peace.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:36 PM   #50
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Passing Cone

Hated it... glad to see it go.

The way it should be is based on the QB's stance and direction he is facing not a flashlight on the field.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »