Home

How Important are Online Leagues to You?

This is a discussion on How Important are Online Leagues to You? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2006, 05:10 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: How Important are Online Leagues to You?

Nfl2k did it what 3 years ago now.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 14

2K series has done it with success, I don't know why EA couldn't. Only thing is EA would charge us while 2K's online leagues and tournaments are FREE!
Old 05-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobee
2K series has done it with success, I don't know why EA couldn't. Only thing is EA would charge us while 2K's online leagues and tournaments are FREE!

EA can do it, they've stated they don't see the interest there to support doing it. I would love it if they do this but we all know it's going to be a pay-to-play feature. But then Leaguedaddy is pay as well so it'd just be us putting our money in a different place. Hopefully next year they'll implement this. But be prepared to pay.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
EA can do it, they've stated they don't see the interest there to support doing it. I would love it if they do this but we all know it's going to be a pay-to-play feature. But then Leaguedaddy is pay as well so it'd just be us putting our money in a different place. Hopefully next year they'll implement this. But be prepared to pay.
Lol, its not like we have a viable option.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

Madden PC had this years ago. As with everything and EA, it is all about the money. If I were to guess, I would say that less than 25% of sports gamers even use the online league feature and I would bet that less than 10% of the leagues are actually a success.

2K sports, especially with their football series ... R.I.P : (, really seemed to listen to their fan base and do you know why? Because they had to in order to try and catch Madden. EA knows that 85% of their fan base will purchase a new Madden even if all they changed was the cover athlete.

EA will not but a dime into something that they can not profit from. If they created online leagues they would have to pay resources for that and get no financial benefit in return.

As for me, I think online leagues are great. I have never had more fun with a video game as I did with NFL2K5 and it was all because of the online leagues I played in. I enjoy playing against real people rather than a CPU. The only thing you have to watch out for online is the cheese balls. If you get a good number of sim guys together (as was the case in my leagues), you can have a great time online.

These exclusive deals have really killed my love for video games. My favorite football game and my favorite baseball game are now dead because of some greedy suits at the NFL, MLB, EA, and 2K sports. Video gaming was so much better when only the "nerds" played them (just kidding everyone but you know what I mean). Now that video gaming has become bigger than hollywood, expect a lot of the same ole same ole in years to come. Thanks for nothing EA and 2K sports.

No, I am not bitter

OK, maybe just a little.

Last edited by jrivera34; 05-28-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
.....Video gaming was so much better when only the "nerds" played them (just kidding everyone but you know what I mean)...
Incorrect. Sports videogaming was better BEFORE "nerdinization". Back in the day it was about picking up the sticks and battling your friends, college roommates, etc. in the game on the field, court, whatever. Now it has become more about being a virtual GM, pricing popcorn, building stadiums, hooking up your CRIB, being in The Show, accumulating "bling", etc., etc., etc. I think the mindset of the sports videogame developer has to be much different from say a FPS developer or an RPG developer. The sports videogame developer should first and foremost be a sports fanatic, specifically in the game they are developing for. I really see that in the 2K team responsible for the NBA 2K series. The little "in game" things they have in the game tells me those cats are really BBall heads. The nonsense I've seen from the folks at EA lead me to believe there are too many Napolean Dynamite types on the development staff.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:39 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
Lol, its not like we have a viable option.
We do, it's called Leaguedaddy.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by njskillz
Incorrect. Sports videogaming was better BEFORE "nerdinization". Back in the day it was about picking up the sticks and battling your friends, college roommates, etc. in the game on the field, court, whatever. Now it has become more about being a virtual GM, pricing popcorn, building stadiums, hooking up your CRIB, being in The Show, accumulating "bling", etc., etc., etc. I think the mindset of the sports videogame developer has to be much different from say a FPS developer or an RPG developer. The sports videogame developer should first and foremost be a sports fanatic, specifically in the game they are developing for. I really see that in the 2K team responsible for the NBA 2K series. The little "in game" things they have in the game tells me those cats are really BBall heads. The nonsense I've seen from the folks at EA lead me to believe there are too many Napolean Dynamite types on the development staff.
that's a very good observation and the main issue with EA games in general I believe. it's not that their programmers aren't necessarily good, it's that they seem to focus on the game as a game instead of as a sports game, key word being sports.

although i will say that the extras you mention shouldn't be a reason to disparage the product as it's necessary for those because no one is just happy to buy a very basic football game even if it plays great, as i think the "Alternate jerseys for sale on Xbox Live marketplace" thread demonstrates. the disparaging aspect could come into play though if the balance is very off and some would argue it's way off, myself i think it's just slightly off.

the extras in today's world are a requirement or the game won't sell, ea just needs to get back to the roots of the sport as you say and ask some very basic questions about what could be done to improve their product.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »