Home

JRob-IGN:Big news next week.....

This is a discussion on JRob-IGN:Big news next week..... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 03:41 PM   #217
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: JRob-IGN:Big news next week.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by laforr77
That is the absolute truth. If playing sim worked best, they'd be working on that style of play. My only point was that because they are not sim, you probably wouldn't find them at a site like this, but they are still very much hardcore when it comes to Madden.
Agreed, which brings me back to Madden, who they cater to, and why the game isn't primarily sim. EA isn't catering to casuals. The authenticity of stadiums, surrounding areas, equipment, modes(most any way), ect. is all aimed at hardcore gamers. I believe they are making the most realistic game they can. The problem is the talent available is not capable of addressing the AI & player interaction. If they could do it, they would. Gang tackling and better line play is not going to alienate their fanbase.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #218
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Agreed, which brings me back to Madden, who they cater to, and why the game isn't primarily sim. EA isn't catering to casuals. The authenticity of stadiums, surrounding areas, equipment, modes(most any way), ect. is all aimed at hardcore gamers. I believe they are making the most realistic game they can. The problem is the talent available is not capable of addressing the AI & player interaction. If they could do it, they would. Gang tackling and better line play is not going to alienate their fanbase.
I have to disagree that it is the talent available. If it was a priority to EA to get those things into the game right now, and the guys at tiburon were like "we're sorry, but we just can't do it", EA would go and find somebody who could. Talent should never be a problem, especially with the resources they have.

I think the problem is that they have this engine that is very good, but not perfect, and unfortunately they are now limited to what they can do with it. Or maybe they are waiting until they can do it and make it look right. They could give you gang tackling now, but if it doesn't look good, does it help or hurt the game? The tackling could look worse than it does now if the animations don't link smoothly. And with the high detail graphics, things like that would really stick out.

Just looking at the videos of Madden, it looks like they are trying to make their animations tighter and shorter, so they could be getting closer to adding what we all want.

Last edited by laforr77; 06-21-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #219
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by laforr77
I think the problem is that they have this engine that is very good, but not perfect, and unfortunately they are now limited to what they can do with it. Or maybe they are waiting until they can do it and make it look right. They could give you gang tackling now, but if it doesn't look good, does it help or hurt the game? Just looking at the videos of Madden, it looks like they are trying to make their animations tighter and shorter, so they could be getting closer to adding what we all want.
But it is talent, or at least focus. They should've been thinking next gen physics years ago, not now. You're talking about tightening animations to give a better illusion, but wouldn't the better approach be to have a true physics engine where you didn't have to fake/simulate what you were trying to accomplish? Tightening animations just brings them up to what was being done on the current generation of machines
Old 06-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #220
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
I believe they are making the most realistic game they can. The problem is the talent available is not capable of addressing the AI & player interaction. If they could do it, they would. Gang tackling and better line play is not going to alienate their fanbase.
Gotta disagree again. With EA's resources, I'm sure they have some of the best developers working on their "cash cow". Maybe it's not that they aren't capable or talented enough, but that management has other ideas as to what should be fixed/updated?

Remember, developers don't have a free reign as to what they want to do. If that happened, the game would never function.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:01 PM   #221
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
But, IMO, hardcore doesn't equal critic. Someone that goes to the movies often is a hardcore movie goer.
Depends. I go to the movies on an almost weekly basis (depending on if there is anything good out). Does that make me hardcore? I doubt it. Just someone looking to have a good time.

Quote:
I must be on the casual side of this. I was under the impression that once you select your viewing choices, you were done. Are you telling me there's more to it than selecting 16:9, 720P, stretch non-hd broadcast, ect.? What exactly needs to be calibrated on a monthly basis?
Yes, much more for best picture quality. There are other things that can be changed to bring the best picture out of your set. The default picture settings are usually horrible in terms of picture quality, bulb life (rear projection sets) and overall longevity of the set. All sets have a "hidden" service menu where these settings reside - things that go deeper than contrast, sharpness, black levels etc.... I recommend getting an ISF certified calibrator to mess with these settings. One wrong move and your TV is a large weight.

You could also get a calibration DVD that shows exactly what your contrast, sharpness, tint and o. Something like "Digital Video Essentials" or "Avia".

Quote:
And if you are only talking about these things, I would guess that anyone not making these selections does so out of ignorance of the features, not because they don't care how the picture looks.
Possibly. But then again, so are a lot of casual gamers. They don't know any better to know it should be different.

Quote:
The difference is cars are a necessity for a lot of folks. I don't think it's fair to compare cars to video games. Now car parts or luxury cars would make for a better comparison. That's something beyond necessity, and you wouldn't buy parts unless you were a hardcore enthusiast.
I don't know. I've bought an air intake for my car, but I wouldn't call my self an enthusiast. Just someone messing around really.

Quote:
Definitely a difference of opinion.
Definately. We could debate until our hands are bleeding, but it's really not worth it as it won't change anything. Plus we've gone more than off-topic with this thread. I'm partly to blame for this going way off topic so sorry about that.

So sorry guys, but this one's run it's course.

Last edited by mjb2124; 06-21-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »