Home

"In the game"

This is a discussion on "In the game" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #9
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: "In the game"

Yes 2k5 had great immersion.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 06-17-2006, 01:31 AM   #10
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
I cant front, Ive had games in 2k6 on 360 where Ive been really into them. NCAA 06 too. Maybe its just me tho.
I think getting "into" the game and feeling like you're "in the game" are 2 different things. I get into sports games (Esp NCAA) but have never felt I was more than just controlling a part of the game rather than "in" the game.

Man I hope I'm making sense. I'm getting punchy,
Old 06-17-2006, 01:32 AM   #11
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
yeah 2K has been the closest for me but it was also missing something.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2006, 07:24 AM   #12

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I think getting "into" the game and feeling like you're "in the game" are 2 different things. I get into sports games (Esp NCAA) but have never felt I was more than just controlling a part of the game rather than "in" the game.

Man I hope I'm making sense. I'm getting punchy,
I hear you man. I just had this experience with GRAW. In two occassions, I was so into it, I actually started to have emotions. Toward the beginning, after finishing a heated battle, there was an explosion that actually jolted me. What was cool was I had it going through the surround sound, so it was pretty intense. Caught me off guard and I actually had to stop and re-focus. The other case was where the guy in the Helo toward the end. I won't share that because I don't want to spoil anything.

With sports games, I think the times I have been really into the game is where I am playing a legitimate player online. Playing the CPU just doesn't do it for me. 2K did have a nice presentation going, and also the ability to edit just about any circumstance with your own music was a nice touch. I mean, when your opening stadium music is Crazytrain, it makes it feel like it's your team/field.

I think what you're talking about is what we are all expecting from next-gen titles. Some things that would help in sports titles would be:

A sideline animation of the coach chewing you out after a bad play.

Interaction with the players. Even sideline drama. Frustration being shown etc.

Maybe, when a player gets hurt, show his mom in the crowd, her hands over her face in fear. then while he's getting carted off, have him waive to let us know he's ok. Then have him come back to the sidelines...crowd cheering. Even the commentator saying, "Ohh look at that, looks like Zach Thomas is back on the sidelines suited up and ready to go."

Why not?
Old 06-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #13
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Absolutely. I thought from the player models, game atmosphere, to in game things like O -LIne/ D- Line interaction, WR-DB, tackle animations, you actually felt like you were watching a pro game. I could actually sit and watch other people play and enjoy it like it was a real game. On pass plays you would see real pocket formation, you could see realistic route development, etc. It was impossible for me to take Madden seriously on current gen simply based on the player models. By no means am I saying 2k5 was flawless. I'm speaking simply from a game immersion standpoint.

I must say of EA's football offerings, it looks like NCAA 2007 could surpass the 2K series on the immersion scale. From Player models, to college atmosphere, it looks like they could be on the right track.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #14
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I actually find myself getting into sports titles. Madden, NCAA, and ASB 05 especially.

With Madden and NCAA, I find myself yelling at players, asking my players to come through on a particular play, I "fire" half my team verbally during a game, and I find myself pumping my fists, getting excited when scoring a touchdown or making a big stop on defense.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #15
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I actually find myself getting into sports titles. Madden, NCAA, and ASB 05 especially.

With Madden and NCAA, I find myself yelling at players, asking my players to come through on a particular play, I "fire" half my team verbally during a game, and I find myself pumping my fists, getting excited when scoring a touchdown or making a big stop on defense.
Man I wish that would be my case. I've haven't come close to that. until the player models get close to looking real and acting real that wont be the case for me. Right now they move too robotic and don't look close enough at all to real. I always know I'm controller characters of a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2006, 10:28 AM   #16
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

I get way too into MVP 05 and some games of Madden when they're big or when my teams sucking. Usually when I'm winning and just cruising along I don't feel it, but when it's a close game, or when I'm getting the crap kicked out of me I feel like I'm in the game because I'm so pissed at the players and yelling and screaming and all of that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »