Home

New madden video

This is a discussion on New madden video within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #49
MVP

plasticbeast's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: New madden video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Stanley
Well, a lot of people (and I'm not saying you because we've never played) tend to hit the old sprint button as soon at the qb hands off the ball to the RB.

Sure, do that and it is hit or miss. Learning to use the sprint button effectively allows you to help set up blocks etc and is a rewarding experience IMO.

I'll wait ot pass judgement on this "lead blocker control" feature until I've tried it out. However, just by the sounds of it I'm not too sure how I'm much I'm going to dig it.
Exactly! if you use your blocks and don't constantly sprint, you can run all over in madden. I don't remember the last game of madden i played where my RB didn't have over 150 yards rushing. (playing AI) playing online is a different story

OSFL
: Lake County Extreme- 2010 OSFL Champs
NCFA: WVU Mountaineers- As long as we beat Pitt...
BLB: Morgantown Mowhawks- Expansion Team
Old 07-07-2006, 04:57 PM   #50
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
LOL...you listed a lot of things that have to be accomplished before you consider the running game to be fun.
Well even Tecmo Super Bowl had gang tackling ...
Old 07-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticbeast
(playing AI) playing online is a different story

This is why I did not say Faulk and those guys were crazy. Yeah against the A.I you can run for alot of yards because it doesn't run cheap defenses EVERY play. But as soon as you add another human to the mix now you got a problem. Oline manipulation ect. That's why I think I'll like the feature. You should be able to run the toss out of I formation against Cheesey Quarters Blitz defense now. Sprint with the FB and blow that son of a b*tch out of his damn shoes. If anything, hopefully those people who sit in one defense all damn game shutting down almost everything will not be able to do that anymore. You should be able to assess who's coming free and use either a lineman or the FB or a TE or WR crackback to deal with it. And if they get rushed on for 300 yards good. LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
In addition to a couple of comments mentioned, One of the biggest reasons 2K was superior to Madden in the trenches was because the Madden engine had a more simplified 'touch tackling' system that didnt give players the sensation of struggling or fighting to gain yardage and break tackles.

Also the Madden engine has a very limited collision detection model that results in too many of the tackles appearing to be unrealistic flying collisions rather than the more engaging and cooler looking wrap tackles in the 2K games.

This overall struggle and fight for yardage along with the more realistic looking tackling system leads to a more immersive and realistic gameplay experience for the player. In 2K4 and 5, I always remember how you would fear certain matchups because you knew you were going against a back that was going to be a headache to contain and bring down. You knew you were in for a long game of pile up and add on tackles to try and bring down some of the better backs in the league...it was great!

I played 2K5 and just like Madden it was'nt perfect. You could break an insane amount of takles all game in that game. Sure the running game seemed more lively but let's not kid ourselves that doesn't mean it was more realistic. I hadn't played Madden in several years until 06 and the game plays very solid football on both sides of the ball. The AI in Madden with the right sliders is very challenging to run against and though some might have found it boring I didn't it was pretty solid to me. The fact that we have a few 2K guy's coming in this thread complaining about the Madden running game should be taken with a grain of salt.

Just because you didn't like it or don't like it doesn't mean that would apply to everyone. I have friends that blast 2K because of the passing game and the AI QB's unlike in Madden don't look to beat you on the ground like Vick would in real life. Neither game is perfect and just becausse EA does it different doesn't mean it's the wrong way. It took me awhile to utilze the sprint button properly in Madden to setup my runs and blocking. Afetr that point the ground game became very fun and addictive to me. The video was about Madden and then the thread turned into what 2k or Techmo football did or had which has nothing to do with a game that is the only one that still exist right now.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #53
Rookie

cheddabob7502's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrell24
I played 2K5 and just like Madden it was'nt perfect. You could break an insane amount of takles all game in that game. Sure the running game seemed more lively but let's not kid ourselves that doesn't mean it was more realistic. I hadn't played Madden in several years until 06 and the game plays very solid football on both sides of the ball. The AI in Madden with the right sliders is very challenging to run against and though some might have found it boring I didn't it was pretty solid to me. The fact that we have a few 2K guy's coming in this thread complaining about the Madden running game should be taken with a grain of salt.

Just because you didn't like it or don't like it doesn't mean that would apply to everyone. I have friends that blast 2K because of the passing game and the AI QB's unlike in Madden don't look to beat you on the ground like Vick would in real life. Neither game is perfect and just becausse EA does it different doesn't mean it's the wrong way. It took me awhile to utilze the sprint button properly in Madden to setup my runs and blocking. Afetr that point the ground game became very fun and addictive to me. The video was about Madden and then the thread turned into what 2k or Techmo football did or had which has nothing to do with a game that is the only one that still exist right now.
Your rite about 2k's running game. Ppl 4get that breakin tackles was an easy thing to do here and there. They might have gang tackles and all but it was like when you started tackling it was a soft tackle and nothing really spectacular unless you blind side someone. Grant it 2k was a good game but its not here now. Madden has its flaws too, like he said once you learn how to BE PATIENT (like in real f-ball) and setup ur blocks without hitting the sprint button then the running game became fun. IDK this game will have its pros and cons but ON 360 you can see the potential this game has. We will see come August.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 1

The opening to that video was painfully long. Didn't need to see that skank's *** 200 times. It does have quite a 2k5 look to it. The stadium graphics are unbelievable. I'll be royaly pissed if you still can't challenge plays.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:

There's no need to label me as a "2K guy", Im just a fan of good, realistic sports game by any developer.
I am simply trying to point out observations that I feel the 2K football games had a more engrossing and realistic feel of working for yardage in the trenches and I think Madden would benefit more if they adopted some of these things.

With that said, 2K certainly has it share of flaws as well, such as the 8 way directional, zig zag movement of players and it also sported an inferior passing game in comparison to Madden's more realistic touch passing.

And to touch on the unrealistic amount of broken tackles in 2K games....well with the proper slider adjustments, this too can be toned down to a much more realistic level.

This is simply coming from a fan of good sports games in general. I'm very much looking forward to Madden but I am growing a bit tired of their simplistic tackling engine that is starting to really show it's age.

Last edited by Lisa_Bonami; 07-07-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #56
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
It took me awhile to utilze the sprint button properly in Madden to setup my runs and blocking. Afetr that point the ground game became very fun and addictive to me. The video was about Madden and then the thread turned into what 2k or Techmo football did or had which has nothing to do with a game that is the only one that still exist right now.
That's fine if it is fun for you. But when you see what other football franchises have done with their running games, there shouldn't be anything wrong with suggesting that the best of those be taken into Madden.

The point about Tecmo Super Bowl was only to show that it's something Madden's running game has lacked for a long time, something that is by no means revolutionary. Gang tackling should be standard imo, and it's one of the major things that's holding back Madden's running game.

Basically their player interaction needs to move on past the touch and suction stuff.

The video was about Madden's running game, and that's still what my focus is on as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »