Home

What I'm praying for from this years Madden!

This is a discussion on What I'm praying for from this years Madden! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
What I'm praying for from this years Madden!

Honestly, football has not come as close as the other sports have to simulating the real thing in video games (including NFL2K). Here is ultimately the problem:

The field needs to be expanded. By that I mean a 3rd and 13 should be VERY difficult to convert. 3rd and longs in the NFL are every defenses dream because they can play back and give up the 5-6 yard pass in order to force a 4th down. This has never been the case in any football game.

What Madden needs to do is shorten the passing game. Make it VERY difficult to throw the ball down the field. Many teams, the Jets for instance, struggle to get the ball down the field for +10 yards. I want Madden to make the gameplay like this. Make 5 and 8 yard passes the norm. That's simulation. Here are some stats....

P. Manning: 8.27 yards a completion last year
T. Brady: 7.08 yards a completion
McNabb: 7.02 yards a completion
Leftwich: 7:03 yards a completion

Look at those numbers. Passing really isn't about the deep ball. Short 5-10 yard patterns are the norm. Please please please make Madden reflect this fact.

What do you think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #2

OVR: 34
Re: What I'm praying for from this years Madden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BejitaSan
Honestly, football has not come as close as the other sports have to simulating the real thing in video games (including NFL2K). Here is ultimately the problem:

The field needs to be expanded. By that I mean a 3rd and 13 should be VERY difficult to convert. 3rd and longs in the NFL are every defenses dream because they can play back and give up the 5-6 yard pass in order to force a 4th down. This has never been the case in any football game.

What Madden needs to do is shorten the passing game. Make it VERY difficult to throw the ball down the field. Many teams, the Jets for instance, struggle to get the ball down the field for +10 yards. I want Madden to make the gameplay like this. Make 5 and 8 yard passes the norm. That's simulation. Here are some stats....

Look at those numbers. Passing really isn't about the deep ball. Short 5-10 yard patterns are the norm. Please please please make Madden reflect this fact.

What do you think?
I think you have a point in saying the game(s) need some work. As far as passing goes. I think the inclusion of the passing cone really made it difficult to pass. On the right level, Madden for me was extremely difficult to pass (cone included).
Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
I think you have a point in saying the game(s) need some work. As far as passing goes. I think the inclusion of the passing cone really made it difficult to pass. On the right level, Madden for me was extremely difficult to pass (cone included).
The passing cone was definitely a great addition. I think the sole weakness in football games has been how easy it is to pass. Quarterback is the hardest position in sports; I'd like games to reflect that.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:

What do you think?
nice point...........but your number are WAY off.

Manning for example had an yards per ATTEMPT of 8.27

His yards per COMPLETION was 12.29

The reason that yard per attempt numbers are so low is because even a good QB has 30-35% of his pass attempts go for 0 yards (incompletions).

Highest yards per completion last year was the Steelers (13.6) Lowest was the Texans (9.9)........Talk about a telling stat. Best you are the SB Champ. Worst you get the 1sst pick in the draft.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:

What do you think?
what needs to be added are more players ratings especially with the QB....i threw this in the EA hat years ago. .............QB ratings :short,medium, and deep passing accuracy ratings (some Qb's can throw the long ball,but he sucks with the short and vice-versa). : a pressure situation rating that will effect Qb performance in certain situations as well as in certain stadiums. i think small things like this(should have been added already) will help the franchise move forward.

Last edited by mr_president; 07-12-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger13
nice point...........but your number are WAY off.

Manning for example had an yards per ATTEMPT of 8.27

His yards per COMPLETION was 12.29

The reason that yard per attempt numbers are so low is because even a good QB has 30-35% of his pass attempts go for 0 yards (incompletions).

Highest yards per completion last year was the Steelers (13.6) Lowest was the Texans (9.9)........Talk about a telling stat. Best you are the SB Champ. Worst you get the 1sst pick in the draft.
Oh really? Where did you get your yards per completion stats? I'd like to check that out.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
what needs to be added are more players ratings especially with the QB....i threw this in the EA hat years ago. these would help more QB ratings :short,medium, and deep passing accuracy ratings (some Qb's can throw the long ball,but he sucks with the short and vice-versa). : a pressure situation rating that will effect Qb performance in certain situations as well as in certain stadiums. i think small things like this(should have been added already) will help the franchise move forward.
Very true. Good points.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Oh really? Where did you get your yards per completion stats? I'd like to check that out.
NFL.com stats page. For any QB.....yards/completions.

For the teams.....use the "Sortable Team Rankings" and choose receiving. The teams avg yards per reception is the same thing as the yards per completion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »