Home

Taken from a write up @Mw

This is a discussion on Taken from a write up @Mw within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Taken from a write up @Mw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostache
However, the interesting quote was directly from David Ortiz (lead producer of Madden Next-Gen) who dropped this little bombshell:

"PS3 will have gang tackling in its version of Madden 2007."
Old 08-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
Please make sure that you did not stop reading at that point....there is a significant disclaimer to that statement. It may or may not be in the PS3, but it was mentioned as "in the PS3 build" during the discussion...

I can't caution people on that point enough because I do not wish to be the source of some wild internet rumor that starts making the rounds that PS3 is superior to XB360 because of this or that EA is supporting the PS3 more than the XB360....none of that is true and this is a speculation only at this point - IT IS NOT CONFIRMED!!!

But, if it is in fact in the game, that would be sweet.....it would actually be really fun to see how that impacts the gameplay by playing both versions (one with gang tackling and one without) to really see if it is in fact the Holy Grail that we gamers seem to believe it will be....

Last edited by Moostache; 08-01-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanis38
Thanks for the info Moos, your impressions of Madden 2007 have been the most detailed I've read so far. Great work on that btw.
Thank you....I was trying to provide as much detail and information as possibel to share that experience with anyone who would like to go but was not as fortunate as I was in getting an invite....glad you have found them informative.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostache
"PS3 will have gang tackling in its version of Madden 2007."

2) The sentiment that the 360 engine was NOT rebuilt from the ground up is somewhat unfair. Many player animations and certain player motions have certainly been recoded to the 360 from the current-gen engine to be sure, but the most significant change to the engine is starting to be utilized now, beginning with the 2007 games (NCAA and Madden) - that is this = more player attributes and ratings that result in much greater segregation of one player or player type from another.
Very interesting write up/post; thx. I've wondered why NCAA doesn't even contain the two-man scripted tackles of Madden previous - at least I've seen none. But there are an abundance of wrap tackles that they've done a fairly good job capturing. The core issue still exists unfortunately, where players just don't interact well, resulting in unrealistic looking effects (players looking like they were shot). And if the DB play has made it's way from NCAA into Madden where players are in position but don't seem to "look" for the ball, or they're sometimes easily thrown off by pump fakes or playaction, it's going to make for some one-sided gameplay.

I agree w/your point about the engine also. I don't think it's rehashed either - but it does seem to have been really poorly thought out. Gang tackling/player interaction or whatever you want to call it should've been taken into account early in the development process. You'd think they didn't start developing the game until last year. They've had the interaction problem since Madden 2005 at least, and planning for next gen seems to have been done on the fly. Imo there have been too many questionable moves by Tiburon - from the CSI-like injury display from last year's game (haven't seen a hint of it this year - resources wasted) to the big bang shotgun on deep passes, to everything in between like even basic features like the ability to save a replay or cpu vs. cpu play missing, there have been a ton of questionable decisions by EA/Tiburon that have slowed this game progressing.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

EA needs to stop being LAZY & CHEAP & start using a different Physics Engine... From Crytek Engine(which EA can access easily since they are the Publisher for CRYSIS) to the Engine used In Ghost Recon. Unreal to the DOOM 3 Engine.

All these engines are available, yet they dont want to use them because of a liscensing fee, but they will charge us for alternate uniforms via the marketplace & offer us a Pay-Per View for the "Making Of"... Gimme a break.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #22
MVP

tanis38's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
EA needs to stop being LAZY & CHEAP & start using a different Physics Engine... From Crytek Engine(which EA can access easily since they are the Publisher for CRYSIS) to the Engine used In Ghost Recon. Unreal to the DOOM 3 Engine.

All these engines are available, yet they dont want to use them because of a liscensing fee, but they will charge us for alternate uniforms via the marketplace & offer us a Pay-Per View for the "Making Of"... Gimme a break.
I think it might be more complicated than just taking an existing physics engine, like Havoc, and throwing it in there. Those engines are great for physics like ragdoll effects or objects, items that are basically "dead". For football, a player just doesn't go limp and fall to the ground realistically. It will need to be tied directly with the animation system.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96

I see what you are saying and about 2 months ago I would say the same thing

BUT!!!

I've seen videos of Saints Row and they have ragdoll effects. Its not as easy as you think because the players would look like pillows when falling....lol. I know it could be done.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #24
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

This so called next gen engine is a joke. When I play NCAA 07 on my 360 it still feels like the same game I have been playing for years. Have they enhanced certain things? Yes. Is the line play better? Slightly. Aside for the graphical "Ground up" programming, I would bet that 85 - 90% of the gameplay engine is identical to what we have been playing since the PS2 came out.

This will be year 2 for me going back to EA football because of the exclusive garbage and NCAA already feels stale, old, been there done that, etc. I really hope Madden changes my mind because my patience is really running thin with video football games. It is sad because I have enjoyed this genre for the last 15 or so years.

EA did a great overhaul with its baseball series only to see the exclusive crap kill that too. I beg of them to do the same with NCAA and Madden.

Madden on the genesis was revolutionary, they took it a step further on the PS1 and then again on the PS2. But since the PS2, overall this feels like the same game to me. I am glad that millions of people are enjoying it, but I am extremely bored.

If I had it my way, I would open my own development company, hire a combo of the EA and 989 baseball team, the Inside drive basketball team, and a combo of the 2k and Gameday(989) football team.

Sorry for the rant...

[Fingers crossed for Madden]

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »