Home

Counterpoint to the "EA & exclusive rights are the devil" argument?

This is a discussion on Counterpoint to the "EA & exclusive rights are the devil" argument? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #49
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Counterpoint to the "EA & exclusive rights are the devil" argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Pleeeeease....

Here's a quick exercise for you. Spend a few minutes perusing the various threads here in the Madden forum. Make a note of the number of times someone posts something along the lines of "the 2k series did it better" or "2k had this two years ago".

Now go to the 2k forum, and see how many "Madden did this better" posts you find.

Then come back and tell me that "it seems Madden supporters bring up 2K more than 2K fans do".
To be fair though, if 2K had taken the license you would probably see Madden folks saying "Madden had a better franchise" or "Madden had more modes" etc. It's more than anything a product of their not being a new 2K game for them to talk about, so they end up comparing the existing new product to the last one they had.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #50
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Pleeeeease....

Here's a quick exercise for you. Spend a few minutes perusing the various threads here in the Madden forum. Make a note of the number of times someone posts something along the lines of "the 2k series did it better" or "2k had this two years ago".
Now go to the 2k forum, and see how many "Madden did this better" posts you find.

Then come back and tell me that "it seems Madden supporters bring up 2K more than 2K fans do".
Since there's not 2K football, not many people post over there. So I concede.

I was refering to post in the Madden forums, so let me clarify with an example. Someone will complain about Madden not having gang tackles, or having bad presentation, and because 2K had these things, the defense is often, "2K wasn't perfect"... but the person never mentioned 2K. They simply stated what disappoints them about Madden.

I see that almost everyday. But I'll ammend my original statement with "in the Madden forums". I'll go a step further and say I MAY be exaggerating. But often... pretty much everyday, Madden folks get defensive prematurely when a feature is mentioned that 2K had and Madden is missing.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #51
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

C'mon JB, and BK...

The reason that you never see people post "Madden does _____ better" is because the 2k series had nothing wrong with it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #52
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
To be fair though, if 2K had taken the license you would probably see Madden folks saying "Madden had a better franchise" or "Madden had more modes" etc. It's more than anything a product of their not being a new 2K game for them to talk about, so they end up comparing the existing new product to the last one they had.
There's no doubt in my mind had 2k gotten the license that what you say, would sure happen.

When both games were out and being release, I used to think the Madden Fanboys were the absolute worst. My mind has definitely changed since then.

Fanboyism is plain stupid.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #53
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
C'mon JB, and BK...

The reason that you never see people post "Madden does _____ better" is because the 2k series had nothing wrong with it!
LOL
Old 08-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #54
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Ok. Here's one
That's what I figured. Someone expresses their disappointment with Madden, and their appreciation of 2K, and you assume he's blindly loyal to 2K.

Quote:
Is it true that I will have to wait longer for a 2k NFL game? I've been hearing that EA has inked a longer exclusive deal with the NFL.
From this, I get he's not happy about the exclusive deal because he like 2K more than Madden. I see nothing wrong with that.
Quote:
This whole situation has caused such a sick feeling in my stomach that I'm going back to school for video game design. There's got to be a way to revive this franchise without the NFL behind it.
Again, he only seems dejected by the deal, unless he's being literal, and then he says he's going to do what a lot of Madden suports suggest when someone makes such statements.
Quote:
How stupid is EA anyway, they put ESPN announcer in a cheesy NFL couch game but don't put any in NCAA or Madden 07. How about a friggin half time show recapping the highlights, that was the best thing ever in any football game period.
Maybe you picked this one out because he called EA stupid, but his complaints are near concensus around here. I recall a post recently where someone said they were happy the presentation in Madden was bad because it meant EA focused on more important things. Almost to the man, people said they wished EA's presentation was better.

Less calling EA stupid, this quote could easily be a Madden supporter. Most people around here think the exlusive deal was bad for gamers. And most want better presentation from EA. Obviously, as someone that prefers 2K, he's going to be upset by the deal, where as someone that still gets to play their game may not be, but I fail to see the blind brand loyalty in this. He seems loyal to the game that provided what he was looking for.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #55
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
That's what I figured. Someone expresses their disappointment with Madden, and their appreciation of 2K, and you assume he's blindly loyal to 2K.

From this, I get he's not happy about the exclusive deal because he like 2K more than Madden. I see nothing wrong with that.Again, he only seems dejected by the deal, unless he's being literal, and then he says he's going to do what a lot of Madden suports suggest when someone makes such statements.Maybe you picked this one out because he called EA stupid, but his complaints are near concensus around here. I recall a post recently where someone said they were happy the presentation in Madden was bad because it meant EA focused on more important things. Almost to the man, people said they wished EA's presentation was better.

Less calling EA stupid, this quote could easily be a Madden supporter. Most people around here think the exlusive deal was bad for gamers. And most want better presentation from EA. Obviously, as someone that prefers 2K, he's going to be upset by the deal, where as someone that still gets to play their game may not be, but I fail to see the blind brand loyalty in this. He seems loyal to the game that provided what he was looking for.
Come on. Please don't pretend I am stupid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2006, 05:16 PM   #56
All Star

OVR: 21

Guess it depends on the definition of fanboy. I've been called a 2K fanboy, which I guess I am - even though I've owned every Madden other than the last 360 version and 2001. But I don't feel like I'm trolling, which I've also been accused of. I don't feel the reason 2K is brought up so much is because of fanboys not wanting to let go. People are just expecting EA/Tiburon to produce things in Madden that they're not coming through on. I mean, it's pretty hard to defend much of what EA has done from a business perspective if you're looking at it as a consumer, which most of us are. And it's hard to defend Tiburon on many of the decisions they've made from an engine design perspective.

It's been said before: any one thing by itself isn't an issue, but cumulatively they add up to a big issue. Frequently what gets said is: No refs? not important to me; they get in the way anyway. PPV? Don't buy it. Cutscenes suck? Skip them. Radio announcer is horrid? turn him off. Overall presentation lacking? not important to me. Pay for alt uniforms? don't buy them. There seems to be this disdain for discussing issues like these. But if you choose to argue the legitimacy of these issues, you're labeled as a troublemaking fanboy?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »