Home

Counterpoint to the "EA & exclusive rights are the devil" argument?

This is a discussion on Counterpoint to the "EA & exclusive rights are the devil" argument? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Rookie

VolPett's Arena

OVR: 5
Counterpoint to the "EA & exclusive rights are the devil" argument?

From what I'm hearing about Superstar mode on IGN, it seems to be that it might be one of the biggest and best changes to the series ever.

I never touched or even thought about touching Superstar mode last year, but the way EA is impleminting Superstar this year looks amazing.

I'm getting tired of dominating by year 3 of Franchise mode, so I think Superstar mode will be a welcome alternative.

Because one big difference between the two, is that even when your player becomes one of the best in the league, the games themselves will stay competitive. So instead of winning the Super Bowl becomming a foregone conclussion, it will be a huge accomplishment instead.

So if (and I know its still a big if) EA delivers and Superstar mode is great, it will serve as a great counterpoint to the, "EA sucks donkey balls and Madden is dead thanks to EA's exclusive rights deal."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Counterpoint to the "EA & exclusive rights are the devil" argument?

I don't think superstar mode is any kind of counterpoint to the exclusive rights deal.
Not too sure where you're coming from on that.

I want gang tackling, refs on the field, net behind the goal posts, no mario running, two man booth, halftime highlights, full ESPN presentation,etc.

Ya know, kinda like the 2K series

Superstar does look interesting though.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Rookie

VolPett's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofdman
I don't think superstar mode is any kind of counterpoint to the exclusive rights deal.

I want gang tackling, refs on the field, net behind the goal posts, no mario running, two man booth, halftime highlights, full ESPN presentation,etc.

I keep hearing the smae argument over and over again.... "The exclusive rights deal kills innovation, EA will simply retread the same game every year with updated rosters and bathe in the profits."

I think that superstar mode is very inovative and is a great addition to the series.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofdman

This is a perfect example of my fundamental problem with the "2k could do no wrong" crowd around here. When they talk about Madden they tend to focus solely on what they perceive to be wrong or missing, while ignoring the things it does right. But when they talk about 2k all we hear about is the good stuff, while they ignore the many basic problems the series had.

It's a double standard, and frankly I'm sick of it.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolPett
I keep hearing the smae argument over and over again.... "The exclusive rights deal kills innovation, EA will simply retread the same game every year with updated rosters and bathe in the profits."

I think that superstar mode is very inovative and is a great addition to the series.

Superstar mode was in the series before and is not a counterpoint to killing competition.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
All Star

OVR: 21

I don't think the mode is enough to offset the complaints, even if it turns out to be a hit. EA is getting flack for two things imo:

- EA/Tiburon is either inept/incapable of improving the game as needed, or are willingly choosing to do only measured improvements to the game
- EA's blatantly taking advantage of their position of exclusivity

I think if you remove one from the equation, the other doesn't seem as bad. For instance, if Tiburon was going balls out and producing a killer game, people wouldn't mind the ppv's or the nickel and dime stuff as much. Or if you remove the ppv's/greed aspect, and EA possibly did more to make customers feel appreciated, people wouldn't feel as bad about the game progressing so slowly. Again, both would be issues regardless - but together, they make for a BIG issue which is why the game and the company gets so much flack. And deservedly so. Every issue gets magnified because of their inaction.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
Rookie

VolPett's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Superstar mode was in the series before and is not a counterpoint to killing competition.
But Superstar mode has not implimented the way that it is this year, and I'm not making a counter point to killing competition (which should be blamed on the NFL not EA). I am making a counterpoint to the argument that EA would sit on their laurals and not make any major changes or improvements to the game thanks to the exclusive rights deal.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Rookie

VolPett's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I don't think the mode is enough to offset the complaints, even if it turns out to be a hit. EA is getting flack for two things imo:

- EA/Tiburon is either inept/incapable of improving the game as needed, or are willingly choosing to do only measured improvements to the game
- EA's blatantly taking advantage of their position of exclusivity

I think if you remove one from the equation, the other doesn't seem as bad. For instance, if Tiburon was going balls out and producing a killer game, people wouldn't mind the ppv's or the nickel and dime stuff as much. Or if you remove the ppv's/greed aspect, and EA possibly did more to make customers feel appreciated, people wouldn't feel as bad about the game progressing so slowly. Again, both would be issues regardless - but together, they make for a BIG issue which is why the game and the company gets so much flack. And deservedly so. Every issue gets magnified because of their inaction.
Great points, I see where your comming from.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »