Home

Will the lead block pancaking be a game killer for you?

This is a discussion on Will the lead block pancaking be a game killer for you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #9

OVR: 34
Re: Will the lead block pancaking be a game killer for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I agree w/you, but that's what makes them come off as lazy imo. And we're giving them the credit of having already thought of this; it's possible adding something to the defense didn't even occur to them (sad as it sounds). Pared touched on it in another thread - just another thing that makes them look bad.
This sort of asks the question, "What is EA's/Tiburon's philosophy of development." I think these additions to Madden, and the way they play out in the game, answers that.

I believe every addition, every point of foucs, every ounce of energy that is put into Madden is built on the foundation of their philospohy of development. That philosophy dictates what we see in this game.

My opinion is their overall philosophy, their overall goal is to wow the customer with beefed up external game enhancements that do not touch the core of what is football and thereby improperly represent it.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
All Star

OVR: 17

I hope the Interior running game is better, sometimes even power backs have are diminished to having to bounce it outside for the bulk of their yardage. Hopefully the interior blocking is better.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 AM   #11
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
My opinion is their overall philosophy, their overall goal is to wow the customer with beefed up external game enhancements that do not touch the core of what is football and thereby improperly represent it.
As popular as football is, I've always wondered why EA concentrates on these other things. Why does EA believe realism is not as fun? They know people want the players to look as real as possible. They know people want the stadiums & grass to look as real as possible. Why not the gameplay? What makes them think that people want these features of the year before gang tackling, realistic collision detection and better overall player interaction?

I guess "Improve Player Interaction" doesn't look as good on the back of the box.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I don't think it's a matter of EA thinking people don't want realism, I think it's a matter of ability. Sports is always hard to replicate realistically due to the vast amount of variables. American Football is without a doubt one of the most complex sports in existence - it's mental and physical, different positions, different layers of mental activity. Then you add the fact it's a contact sport with very little ball movement (unlike, say, Rugby) and that makes replicating the actual physical interaction a nightmare from a programmer's perspective. I tend to think the reason EA don't strive for ultra realism in Madden is because if they tried, it could put the series in long term trouble if they failed.

You can easily scan a player's face for realistic graphics, but you can't scan their brain for AI. I think EA are gradually trying to make Madden realistic with each release but they want something to fall back on - easy, fun, arcade gameplay. Madden has created this audience and must continue to feed it otherwise they risk losing it all.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #13

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
As popular as football is, I've always wondered why EA concentrates on these other things. Why does EA believe realism is not as fun? They know people want the players to look as real as possible. They know people want the stadiums & grass to look as real as possible. Why not the gameplay? What makes them think that people want these features of the year before gang tackling, realistic collision detection and better overall player interaction?

I guess "Improve Player Interaction" doesn't look as good on the back of the box.
EA has definately put more stock into eye candy than properly representing the game of football. It's not just with football either. Acroos the board, that has been their MO. That's the reason you see them getting so many exclusive items. Heck, they recently bough the rights to Jeep so they can use their vehicles in their next war game.

Like you said, somethings don't look good on the back of the box, which suggests many people are pulling the old "judge a book by its cover" routine.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #14
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Before we label it a gamekiller, I think we should actually see how it's implemented in the actual production release of the game.

My fear is and has been that like most EA features like this,it's overdone the first year, but we'll have to see.

I definitely agree on the fear of being overdone. I hope on higher levels you may be shedded more times than not. It would actually add a nice gameplay element because you may actually want to go out and sign or draft a better FB.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO

It's funny you mention that BEZO, because the "Making Madden Special" on the NFL Network last night, all the developer's kept saying was "it's all about the REALISM" "We're trying to make the game as realistic as possible"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #16
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
It's funny you mention that BEZO, because the "Making Madden Special" on the NFL Network last night, all the developer's kept saying was "it's all about the REALISM" "We're trying to make the game as realistic as possible"

I am very happy I got to see these guys faces. Not just that special but all the specials. Hearing them talk makes it more clear as to why this game lacks like it does. I dont think many of them even watch the sport.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »