Home

I was looking at the nfl unlockable legends at IGN

This is a discussion on I was looking at the nfl unlockable legends at IGN within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: I was looking at the nfl unlockable legends at IGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegregwitul
Let's get Art Monk in the Hall Of Fame before we even consider Michael Irvin. It is very rare for WR's to make the HOF on the first ballot.

But c'mon, Irvin in the Hall? Eventually (maybe), but he is going to be waiting for quite some time. Let's worry about getting Art Monk in first...

j.
Considering Irvin and Monks stats are nearly the same how many Super Bowls did Art Monk win? Irvin won 3. Also, was Monk considered the leader of his team like Irvin was?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #34
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Considering Irvin and Monks stats are nearly the same how many Super Bowls did Art Monk win? Irvin won 3. Also, was Monk considered the leader of his team like Irvin was?

Monk was part of three Super Bowl winners as well and was one of the leaders.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
You set your self up for that one.

"With the Redskins, Monk played in Super Bowl XVIII, Super Bowl XXII and Super Bowl XXVI. He also won a Super Bowl ring as a member of the team in Super Bowl XVII, but did not play in it due to injury."

To clarify, he won in 1991, 1987, 1981 and lost in 1983.

Last edited by conboy31; 08-18-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 15

Plus, Monk held the record for most receptions by a wide reciever for a period of time. He was a class act and a quiet leader.

Irvin wouldn't know what quiet leadership was if he snorted it and shared it with a hooker.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #37
MVP

opd897's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
Correct, you are, my friend. But drugs do have plenty to do with what the HoF voters consider when casting their votes.

Very true, not just drugs but character as a whole is most likely looked at. If everyone got in just on the basis of what they did on the field then Pete Rose would have been in long ago....it does matter to some degree.........
Old 08-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by conboy31
You set your self up for that one.

"With the Redskins, Monk played in Super Bowl XVIII, Super Bowl XXII and Super Bowl XXVI. He also won a Super Bowl ring as a member of the team in Super Bowl XVII, but did not play in it due to injury."

To clarify, he won in 1991, 1987, 1981 and lost in 1983.
I didn't set myself up for that one, I was honestly asking, I wasn't a football hound back when Monk played like I am now. I know it looks like i was trying to be a smart aleck but that's because most people who ask questions like that are doing it in that method. In this case though I just honestly didn't know and was too lazy to look it up.

Oh and one other thing I will say though, Art Monk was not the leader of his team from the games I watched, not like Irvin was anyways. Could the Redskins have won their games without the Monkster? Probably, maybe. Could the Cowboys have won theirs without Irvin? Doubtful, probably not. No question Irvin was more valuable to the Cowboys than Monk was to the Skins. He was the core of the Triplets.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

Last edited by ODogg; 08-18-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:27 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 17

Where's Elway on that list. Sure people hate the guy but as a Bronco fan that's a huge omission. It's Elway for goodness sake.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:46 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Oh and one other thing I will say though, Art Monk was not the leader of his team from the games I watched, not like Irvin was anyways. Could the Redskins have won their games without the Monkster? Probably, maybe. Could the Cowboys have won theirs without Irvin? Doubtful, probably not. No question Irvin was more valuable to the Cowboys than Monk was to the Skins. He was the core of the Triplets.
It's easier for you to state that Irvin was more important because you were used to seeing Irvin play the game as opposed to Monk in his prime. Both players were just as important to their teams.

I disagree with you on Irvin being the core of the Triplets. The core was Aikman and the best player of the three was Emmitt Smith. I think Irvin was in the position to have the most success if he were on a different team, but he was a loser as a human being and that will cost you some points on the ballots.

I'm sure Irvin will eventually get in, but not before Art Monk.

j.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »