Home

My SONY/EA "conspricacy theory"...

This is a discussion on My SONY/EA "conspricacy theory"... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12
My SONY/EA "conspricacy theory"...

Well not exactly "conspiracy" theory, but hear me out...

I've got a sneaky suspicion that EA is actually optimizing Madden and probably the rest of their EASports games for the Sony PS3. I just think that SONY is THE preferred platform for their operations. Similar to how it was in current-gen, though the roles are reversed this time with the PS3 having the more powerful hardware. EA likes to go with the market leader, and there's no reason to believe that even with the initial 1yr. head start, that SONY won't recoup their position once their console hits the market.

With the PS2/Xbox, you saw the result in the form of inferior graphics on the Xbox, due to the EA optimizing their games to the lower (though more popular system) and then porting the games "up" to the xbox.

I believe this time around you are going to see EA really striving to take advantage of Sony's superior hardware specs and slashing features and functionality from the 360 as they port it over to the weaker system.

Thus you end up getting stuttering fps during the camera pans in NCAA or lack of weather/time-of-day effects in online games on the 360 etc...

Now it remains to be seen, but I would bet that when Madden comes out for the PS3, you'll have those weather/time-of-day effects make their appearence online, with the increased development time and more powerful hardware among other features that "they were able to add in due to the increased development time".

Your thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: My SONY/EA "conspricacy theory"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausar72
Well not exactly "conspiracy" theory, but hear me out...

I've got a sneaky suspicion that EA is actually optimizing Madden and probably the rest of their EASports games for the Sony PS3. I just think that SONY is THE preferred platform for their operations. Similar to how it was in current-gen, though the roles are reversed this time with the PS3 having the more powerful hardware. EA likes to go with the market leader, and there's no reason to believe that even with the initial 1yr. head start, that SONY won't recoup their position once their console hits the market.

With the PS2/Xbox, you saw the result in the form of inferior graphics on the Xbox, due to the EA optimizing their games to the lower (though more popular system) and then porting the games "up" to the xbox.

I believe this time around you are going to see EA really striving to take advantage of Sony's superior hardware specs and slashing features and functionality from the 360 as they port it over to the weaker system.

Thus you end up getting stuttering fps during the camera pans in NCAA or lack of weather/time-of-day effects in online games on the 360 etc...

Now it remains to be seen, but I would bet that when Madden comes out for the PS3, you'll have those weather/time-of-day effects make their appearence online, with the increased development time and more powerful hardware among other features that "they were able to add in due to the increased development time".

Your thoughts?
Now that is food for thought!!!! The above statement has me wondering now. You might be on to something.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Too many holes in your argument to know where to begin...on top of the fact I won't be the one responsible for a Sony/MS flame war by responding first.

So I'll wait for the first sucker/poster...
Old 08-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 6

Except the difference between the power of the PS3 and 360 are nowhere near the difference between the power of PS2 and Xbox.

They're remarkably close in specs. PS3 is more powerful on paper, but the difference is, for the most part, negligible.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf
Except the difference between the power of the PS3 and 360 are nowhere near the difference between the power of PS2 and Xbox.

They're remarkably close in specs. PS3 is more powerful on paper, but the difference is, for the most part, negligible.
Now, let's wait for the first Sony fanboy to respond with some techno babble, completely disregarding the complexity inherent with the PS3...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

Not necessarily so...

And I am referring to the lionshare of their development time going into one machine vs. the other. There are only so many man hours a developer has in a day. Rule of thumb is you develop for one and port to the others. Thus you are more concerned with getting it "right" for one system over another.

Maybe EA's proclaimation that they were starting from the ground up with their code is actually referring to the PS3. Would kinda explain '06, huh?

Not to start a flame. Just a theory.

Last edited by ausar72; 08-16-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

what this guy said
Old 08-16-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Well if your suggesting that EA is just maxing out everything on PS3 than porting that same game to the 360 than I could understand that. But from what I have heard (many times) is developing a game on the 360 is a lot easier (and cheaper) than for the PS3. So more than likely they will port from the 360 to the PS3. EA is already making five different versions of Madden 07. One for the current gen, one for the Wii, one for the PSP, one for the DS and another for next gen. I don't think they would want to make seven different versions with a 360 game and a PS3 game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »