Home

EA's Response to Hall of Famers showing up in Franchise/Superstar Mode (XBox 360)

This is a discussion on EA's Response to Hall of Famers showing up in Franchise/Superstar Mode (XBox 360) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 62
Re: EA's Response to Hall of Famers showing up in Franchise/Superstar Mode (XBox 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimplication
It's my understanding that they are unlocked in Madden also, with the basis for unlocking being on one's "Madden Gamer Level."

I am not really in support of including Legends by default, but I can certainly understand how EA would consider it to be an intended feature from the get-go.

It is easy to jump on unwelcome implementations as being glitches or flaws in a program, but reality very well could be that this was intended all along; especially considering the Hall of Fame's relevence to EA's John Madden this year.
If it was intentional, there is no way EA doesn't hype the hell out of that feature, especially in light of John Madden going into the HOF this year.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #18
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: EA's Response to Hall of Famers showing up in Franchise/Superstar Mode (XBox 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimplication
It is easy to jump on unwelcome implementations as being glitches or flaws in a program, but reality very well could be that this was intended all along; especially considering the Hall of Fame's relevence to EA's John Madden this year.
I believe that given the choices Tiburon's been making, it WAS intentional also. But that's my issue - it's another choice in a long line of choices they've made that make them look clueless. I think most people wouldn't think it makes sense to try to sell the game as some realistic simulation when you're intentionally doing things that speak otherwise - it's the whole "don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining" sort of thing. I think the vast majority of fans whether casual or hardcore would think that being forced to play with deceased/retired players in your franchise is ridiculous and makes no sense. As a Steeler fan, I really want to see Jack Lambert playing for the Falcons?

The key is giving people the option of what they want - EA's stance/statement is somewhat arrogant in assuming that this is what everyone would want. Not only is it arrogant, but it's stupid. Some people obviously would like to play with HoF players - but I think it's safe to assume they're very much in the minority. Again, I understand the EA response - you don't want to weaken the consumer's confidence in your product by admitting to a flaw, or something being overlooked (like adding an option). I was thinking saying it was a flaw is the lesser of two evils, when your other option is "we intentionally want Chuck Bednarik playing for the Bills". If I was playing with a pen to see how close I could get it to my eye and accidently poked my eye out, you better bet that I'd be making up some excuse - I was running with a pen in my hand and fell, a bird swooped in from the sky and got me... ANYTHING other than I was stupid enough to be trying to see how close I could get a pen to my eye

And no, I've never done that

But you'd never know if I did

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #19
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
You guys R correct. This doesn't seem to be a problem to them, because the masses of people who buy this game are those who are die-hard NO MATTER what, I'm buying people. Which also include many of those people who don't:

Read Reviews
Check Message Boards
Search the net about bugs/glitches before release.

We unfortunately are a minority group of gamers, that do these things to help-us make a sound descion about our purchase..

This situation ain't gonna change anytime soon either.
Big... I don't know it I'd go along with that wholeheartedly.... a great many folks use the web for basic info more then we realize... they maynot post but they view... generally word of mouth is still the most reliable and trustworthy way consumers make choices.... you know just as I the folks came out of the woodwork upon hearing that 2K stuff... peeps with a handful of posts but had been forum members since early '04...

considering the high cost of products these days... peeps just don't buy without checking whether said product meets there expectations nowadays... as I understand it's common place for any1 with the web to compare products before purchase....
Old 08-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #20
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

EA's ridiculous explantion that this was intentional really insults one's intelligence. They're basically saying, "All those bozos that buy our stuff will buy our idiotic excuse, too.''

It makes no sense that they would intentionally want dead and retired players showing up on your current franchise rosters. If they did, it would have been listed as a feature and there would be a clear-cut option stated for avoiding it.

I'm guessing a lot of people who don't read these message boards are going to be in for quite a shock when O.J. Simpson starts slashing his way through the Jets' defense in week 10. Their franchise will be ruined and they'll be mighty ticked about having to start over. Plus, they probably won't know how to correct the problem.

Meanwhile, EA exces will be laughing on the way to the bank.

Just admit ya screwed up, ya greedy bastads.

Last edited by Spanky; 08-17-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 7

Classic stuff.

Tell you one thing. EA better hope they get a renewal on the exclusive deal with the NFL. They already wasted 2 years of the deal. Gamers will be chomping at the bit to try a new game after 3 more years of this.
Minnesota Wild
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2006, 11:53 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
EA's ridiculous explantion that this was intentional really insults one's intelligence. They're basically saying, "All those bozos that buy our stuff will buy our idiotic excuse, too.''

It makes no sense that they would intentionally want dead and retired players showing up on your current franchise rosters. If they did, it would have been listed as a feature and there would be a clear-cut option stated for avoiding it.

I'm guessing a lot of people who don't read these message boards are going to be in for quite a shock when O.J. Simpson starts slashing his way through the Jets' defense in week 10. Their franchise will be ruined and they'll be mighty ticked about having to start over. Plus, they probably won't know how to correct the problem.

Meanwhile, EA exces will be laughing on the way to the bank.

Just admit ya screwed up, ya greedy bastads.
Co-sign...
Old 08-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #23
MVP

TheKingOfVa's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
Thats what Im trying to say. All these problems seem like they go right along with what they're trying to do. Make this a more tournament style Madden. No fatigue, Classic players popping up with such high ratings and what not, Cannon sound effects on bombs, presentation. Its in the game man,lol.

I agree 100 percent. EA is making this game out to be a joke ,arcade, tourney game for the Vick lovers. I'm still buying the game but will only play online with sim friends or sim people from this message board. Who wants to hear a loud cannon sound every time you throw a deep pass? Who wants no fatigue? Who wants OJ Simpson and Lawrence Taylor dominating your franchise? EA needs to release a patch and stop trying to say they intended for this crap to be in the game.

Last edited by TheKingOfVa; 08-17-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #24
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

Either way, it's bad. If it was not intentional, then they're lying and trying to cover it up, plain and simple. If it was intentional, then, as spanky said, people who don't even know about it will find these HOFers showing up in their superstar or franchise mode and, while some won't care, many will probably be pissed. Whether it was intentional or not, EA and Tiburon screwed up on this one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »