Home

Atmosphere Atmosphere Atmosphere..............

This is a discussion on Atmosphere Atmosphere Atmosphere.............. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2006, 02:45 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Atmosphere Atmosphere Atmosphere..............

I really don't have even the slightest need for the games to feel "special." I just want them to feel like football. Madden, while not perfect by any means, more or less does that. So I'm happy.

But by all means, make loud "Kazaam!" noises while you play if it increases your enjoyment.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #18
Banned

murry's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M. Son
Couldn't agree more. I like what you said about, "why can't EA make games special?" To me, this is what it all comes down to. For some odd reason, EA/ Tiburon seems to think that what makes a videogame memorable is odd idiosyncratic modes and gimmicks like Superstar and Lead Blocker; EA Trax; shotgun sounds; and even glittery menus (that are glitchy I may add).

What really does make a game special is the attention to detail and emotion. It's the varied and situational movements and actions/ reactions... not canned/ robotic movements and sounds. The crowd has to actually react to the on field events, and act like a crowd would. There needs to be actual sideline interaction so that we can feel as if there's a team cheering over there. There needs to be a chain gang getting taken out by sideline plays, a crew hoisting the nets for field goals and extra points. Cheerleaders never quite get replicated in game form correctly, but even they add to the realism and immersion. Bring on the security guards, bring on the sideline personnel, bring on real skin textures with tattoos, bring on moveable jersey fabric, bring on camera flashes in the stands, bring on crowds that leave or walk around, bring on actual accessories and uniform variation.

I've been playing a ton out of the NBA2k7 demo, and I gotta say this, "It knocks the socks off Madden as far as "next gen" is concerned". With NBA, it feels as though I'm almost controlling a real life NBA game... with all its personality, variation, atmosphere, and photo-realistic recreation of the game. Madden still seems like a game that I'm manipulating.

All in all, there is a vast lack of atmosphere in Madden 07, and that can be attributed to all the aforementioned details. It's not just sound, it's details... and Madden has almost always lacked those details. Remember, this is a videogame, we play these things because they satisfy our visual senses... so there's no excuse to not go all out to recreate the actual game of football.

Am I right?
Peace
Great Post. Your post sums up how I feel now. This game is missing that "It" factor. That "It" factor equates to; atmosphere, presentation, and attention to details. Without those aforementioned things, the replay value is just not very good for me. Even if the gameplay was great (and it's not), for people like myself, we need to be drawn into the game with something that keeps the game fresh.

IMO, the game has an arcade style feel to it, and I am a simulation (realism) guy. Although the game is not bad, IMO, Madden/EA has too much experience and potential to continue to produce these average and flawed games.

I am with you regarding NBA 2K7. That demo is really good. If the actual game plays like the demo, I am really looking forward to seeing if they will be the first to offer a true Next Generation sports game experience. Something or someone has stunted the growth of the Madden series; I hope that they figure it out one day. Until they figure it out, hopefully NBA 2K7 will fill my beloved football void.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #19
Pro

TurboTitan's Arena

OVR: 6

They will figure it out when the exclusive license is FINALLY over....and not one second before that. I didnt even really like the 2k5 games, but they completely OWNED madden in presentation....no contest. EA has had the same presentation for years....which is nothing. Madden 2008 better walk on water before i waste another 60 bucks on this bug filled crap.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTitan
They will figure it out when the exclusive license is FINALLY over....and not one second before that. I didnt even really like the 2k5 games, but they completely OWNED madden in presentation....no contest. EA has had the same presentation for years....which is nothing. Madden 2008 better walk on water before i waste another 60 bucks on this bug filled crap.

you are RIGHT ON with this post! And so is everyone else in this thread.

I LOVED 2K not only for its MUCH better (IMO) representation of the game of football but also its AWESOME atmosphere.

There is something really, really wrong with the people that create Madden. It completely blows me away that year after year they leave out any atmosphere that draws you into the football experience. Not EVEN going to get into the flawed gameplay ( which 2K had as well but not to the extent of Madden) but what about TV style presentations? Halftime shows, pregame/post game? Crowd involvement?

WTF EA??

Instead its the close up of the huddle and line over and over again, play after play the same BS. And ONE radio (?) announcer??

Damn, everytime I get on this site or any other thats talking about Madden I just get so frustrated and cant believe we have to settle for no competition.

Absolutely unbeliveable.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #21
Pro

TurboTitan's Arena

Its hard for me to believe, that 2 years ago, VC was able to include REAL highlights from games around the league into their halftime/postgame stuff. Here we are, on a Next Gen console thats supposed to be able to do things we couldnt imagine....and EA hasnt even TRIED yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #22
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12

I am really upset at this years Madden effort. Graphics aren't everything. I will not waste my money on Madden games anymore. I really learned my lesson this year. Truthfully a couple of years of madden releasing half as@ed games I really think people won't take this anymore. After last years madden it started. I have never seen this much badtalk about madden EVER. It's flooding the boards. When people are paying 20 dollars more for a game and if there is no upgrade except gimmicks people won't be as forgiving in the years to come. Bottom line I don't care if Timbucktoo makes a game if it is good I will buy it full price. I will not waste my money with lackluster title again
Old 09-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 15

Somebody in this thread mentioned that the franchise games were boring and I totally agree.

I used to play season upon season of franchise play, but this year I can't even get through a year! I find this game incredibly boring for some reason...and atmosphere has something to do with it.

I'd rather play Tecmo Super Bowl (which has more atmosphere for thos who haven't played it...and sweet cut scenes!).
Old 09-17-2006, 07:20 PM   #24
Pro

TurboTitan's Arena

This year was a COMPLETE letdown. I shouldnt have been suprised...but i actually was. They have lost my 60 bucks, thats for sure. I know that is nothing to them, but hopefully a few hundred thousand consumers share my thoughts and MAYBE ea will get the hint then. I will not buy the game when it comes out next year.If i buy it at all....it will be after a few weeks to see what the reaction is to it, and how many damn glitches it has. Definitely renting first.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »